General MVNO Discussion

Comments

• dkh3585dkh3585 Novice 1
    Teltik is for business, no?
  • I am looking into TPO wireless as it should meet my needs.  Porting number is not an issue for me as I use Google Voice App and when I make a call using the regular phone dialer the caller ID on the other end shows my Google Voice.  I have my Google Voice account to ring my regular phone number when someone calls in too and this way I only give out my Google Voice Number. For a home phone (land line) I use an Obihai 200 which works great with Google Voice too.  I install the Hangouts APP, and Google Voice APP and that does the trick.  If one is around Wi-Fi most of the time then one could send and receive calls & messages SMS & MMS, Text, Calls, etc. There are several You Tube videos regarding this option. 
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    redpocket offer annual plans on ebay that are significantly cheaper than on their website
    eg $164 for 1000mins/1000texts/ 1gb data with 500mb at full lte speed.

edited February 5
    Tello is also much more than you listed and many of us are going there-

pay as you go at 3c talk, 2c mb, 1c text.  $5 min to start and credit does not expire if you use it once every 6 months.

Paid plans also start at $5 a month and you can pick and choose what you want.  data buckets includes unlimited 2gb at 64k

eg 100 minutes/200mb with unlimited 2g is $7

You can mix up plans and pay as you go which is a real treat for tello users eg in the plan above texts will be 1c each by adding a pay as you go balance.  Places like ting just don't do this.  Instead you pay for the next bucket or service stops for some.
    mariadmblue_skiesdogged-but-not-dogmatic
    edited February 5
    There is republic wireless as well with $20 for unlimited talk text and 1gb lte. 

Main feature is hybrid wifi/data/voice calling which is supposed to offer better coverage/reception.
  • ny11tonyny11tony Pro 4
    edited February 5
    I'm not a tech guy so I don't know if they are MVNO, but there is also MINT Sim offering promo $35 for 3 months service($11.67/mos) 2 GB/mos and unlimited talk/text and then it's about $20/ mos after that, but you have to pre pay in 3, 6, or 12 month blocks.
    And Metro PCS has plans $30 1GB unlimited talk and text and they have promo offering free phones for new activations.

For those that didn't realize before, we can now realize how cost beneficial Ring Plus was.
    edited February 5
    And then there is twigby too!

Main advantage is that it uses sprint and verizon together

Sample plans -
    $12 for 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 150mb with unlimited 2g at 64k

$31 for 1000 minutes, unlimited texts, 1gb data with unlimited 2g

There are supposed to be new and better plan options coming so this is one to watch.

blue_skies
    edited February 5
    Just tell is who it is already please.

Can't be that trustworthy if it is hidden.
  • I read from another post that Textnow is voip which is not good. Which company offers $10 unlimited talk and text?
    dogged-but-not-dogmatic
  • jamielih:
    CellNuvo has $29 activation fee.

Wonder if anyone has taken the plunge. I'll post some more investigative stuff in that discussion:

https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/11246/cellnuvo-discussion/
    dogged-but-not-dogmatic
  • ny11tonyny11tony Pro 4
    edited February 5
    I am somewhat high end user (2,000 mins/1,000 txt/500mb-1gb data per month) with a Sprint phone Samsung Galaxy Note 2.  I use this as my main phone and would like to keep my number.  Please help me end these hours of research and choose a new provider as I know that there are so many more knowledgeable users here than me.  Here are the best providers for my usage I could find so far.  Please let me know if there is anything better. Or do you think somehow RingPlus will be able to make a discount arrangement with another carrier during the week?
    *Mint sim-2gb plan; $12/mos(promo) 3mos or $20/mos 6 mos; Can I use my Sprint phone here or is it considered locked?  Do I have time to get a sim card and activate it to preserve my number before 2/11?
    *TPO-1gb plan; $21/mos; my phone is compatible here, but there is no bottomless data or tethering.  But my biggest concern is that there are so many negative reviews (TrustPilot). Anyone have any recent experience with them? Ive called them twice (as new customer) and got right through, but service may be different once a customer.
    *Tello-1gb plan; $29/mos; my phone and sim card are compatible here
    *Metro PCS-1gb plan; $30/mos (includes tax/fees); not sure if phone is compatible but they give free phones for new activations.  New phone to choose from LG K10 or HTC Desire 530 or ZTE ZMAX Pro.  Which of these new phones would be better or worse than my old Galaxy Note 2 phone?

When do you think is the latest I can wait to choose to make sure that I do not lose my number.  Am I missing anything here?  (I didn't include any VOIP carriers.)

How do I know if my phone is unlocked or not?

joseph1
  • ny11tony:
    (2,000 mins/1,000 txt/500mb-1gb data per month)

Don't forget EcoMobile.  They have a $30.00 unl talk/text and 2GB 4G LTE then throtted unlimited 2G.  They can do onestop porting.  It says you need an ECO sim, but cust service said no.  Just select you have eco sim.  Then sumit port info.  They get back to u once port is complete and you finalize payment and activate service.
    Soteria1
  • mariadmmariadm Novice 0

mmfacemm:
    Tello is also much more than you listed and many of us are going there-

pay as you go at 3c talk, 2c mb, 1c text.  $5 min to start and credit does not expire if you use it once every 6 months.

Paid plans also start at $5 a month and you can pick and choose what you want.  data buckets includes unlimited 2gb at 64k

eg 100 minutes/200mb with unlimited 2g is $7

You can mix up plans and pay as you go which is a real treat for tello users eg in the plan above texts will be 1c each by adding a pay as you go balance.  Places like ting just don't do this.  Instead you pay for the next bucket or service stops for some.

Another Tello enthusiastic, yay! I did my research too and I am really happy with Tello so far - big like for their plans, customer service and the free tethering  B)
  • I've read very mixed reviews of voice quality on TextNow.
    dogged-but-not-dogmatic
  • PromozePromoze All Star 125
    edited February 5
    Tello has very low priced pay as you go which requires activity at least once every 6 months, so it's great for an emergency backup.  3 cents per minute, 1 cent per text, 2 cents per MB.   $5 minimum top up.
    Soteria1dogged-but-not-dogmatic
  • Some of those listed do not have a BYOD option, so you would be required to purchase a new phone.
  • PromozePromoze All Star 125
    edited February 5
    Jack1021:
    Twigby- Twigby runs on two not one nationwide networks for the best signal has some pretty nice plans. Check it out: https://www.twigby.com/
    spectacular-pearl-toilet-bowl-872154:
    So Twigby is the only one with included roaming on a second network, right?  Sprint works better for places I go but it is nice to have Verizon fallback as needed
    ARoss:
    It is a hard decision..Im trying to decided between Twigby and Tello.
    Dlister70:
    I love that Twigby does roaming on Verizon.
    I'm surprised to see the interest in Twigby now.  I didn't get any responses when I first mentioned Twigby yesterday:
    https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/139811/#Comment_139811

Regarding the free roaming on Verizon, it looks like that may only include voice roaming and not data roaming based on the coverage map they provide.  It shows no data available in areas that Verizon shows data is available.
  • @KD_Becker ;I didn't mention Freedom Pop for two reasons, first being that I had poor experience and poor customer service before moving to Ringplus. Second, I didn't want to list services that offered only voice over data. It's services aren't comparable to Ringplus. The same went for Republic Wireless.
    KD_Beckerdogged-but-not-dogmatic
  • @ferocious-ivory-waved-sausage-864969 ;Thanks for the heads up. Some plans also require you to purchase a new SIM card even if the phone is CDMA compatible. I just wanted to list the basics and people could research plans they were interested.
  • @mmfacemm ;I didn't include Ting here because their prices rose recently and people who use more data will end up paying comparable prices to other networks. Thanks for mentioning Tello though, I just listed some sample plans to show people comparable pricing options but I probably should have mentioned that they are customizable plans!
  • ny11tonyny11tony Pro 4
    edited February 5
    Thanks for mentioning EcoMobile.  I have researched them and they seem to be a good candidate.  Here are my choices again for someone like myself with Medium or High usage requirements in order of least expensive unless someone enlightens me with anything else with unlimited talk + text:
    *Mint Sim- $35 3 mos unlimted service 2 gb/mos.  I'll have to pay $8 for 2 day shipping to get the required sim card since we are forced with time constraint, but still comes to $45 including ship/fees/taxes for 3 months.  Then after that decide if to stay with them in 3 or 6 month increments for $20ish/mos.
    *TPO-$21/mos 1 GB (20% discount first 3 months).  Most Sprint phones work here.  But a big concern is they have many negative reviews; anyone have feedback on this?  Also they do not have bottomless data or tethering.
    *EcoMobile-$25 500 mb or $30 2gb; Only state tax added; no other taxes or fees. Most Sprint phones work here.  Includes tethering, bottomless data, auto pay.  Only negative is there is no roaming; they have Sprint coverage.  Did Ring Plus have roaming; should that be a concern?
    *MetroPCS-$30 1 gb includes all taxes and fees.  Most unlocked Sprint phones will work, but they offer free phones for new customers.  Is my old Samsung Galaxy Note 2 better than their free phone options of LG K10, HTC Desire 530, ZTE Zmax Pro?
    *Tello-$29 1 gb Only state tax added ($3); no other taxes or fees. C64FP5 code for 30% discount 1st month. Most Sprint phones work here.  Includes tethering, bottomless data, auto pay.

Any feedback on the bad reviews on TPO or have they improved?
    Should not having roaming on EcoMobile be a concern? (I live in a mostly metro area.)
    Is old Galaxy Note 2 better than MetroPCS free phones?

• I thought TPO was about $16 for 1 GB and $21 for 2 GB, with Auto-Pay.
  • ny11tony:
    I'm not a tech guy so I don't know if they are MVNO, but there is also MINT Sim offering promo $35 for 3 months service($11.67/mos) 2 GB/mos and unlimited talk/text and then it's about $20/ mos after that, but you have to pre pay in 3, 6, or 12 month blocks.
    And Metro PCS has plans $30 1GB unlimited talk and text and they have promo offering free phones for new activations.
    These are similar costing plans, but they are on GSM networks so phones wouldn't be compatible. If you can get a free phone, I guess it would be worth it.

• When did Ting raise their prices? They lowered them a few months ago.