Quick and painless port out to Tello US

You can use your phone and sim from ringplus.  only took me 2 minutes.  plans are affordable and customizable (I got 500 min, unlimited text, and 1gb for $24).  Port out process was easy.  The account number is your phone number, and the pin/passcode is the 6 digit MSL found on your dashboard under manage device.  Coverage is with sprint.  Not much more you can ask for (not even an activation fee). 
ReginaHartyattermansubhobroto

Comments

• edited January 30
    so Ive just signed up for tello and i used up all my data so now im on 2g and its sounds crystal clear with the text now app ive also tried it on ringplus it also sounds crystal clear Btw those are my speeds on mad snow even at these speeds text now sounds good my idea worked  $6 month unlimited everything 

Ps i live in nyc so my coverage is never a problem :)
    jamielihVoIPFanRPrp200
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 126
    DominicanBrodda:
    so Ive just signed up for tello and i used up all my data so now im on 2g and its sounds crystal clear with the text now app

You've used up all your data on Tello, or all you data or R+?

You might consider posting this information in the Tello discussion, as this is the Text Now discussion.

Unless you meant to say that "so Ive just signed up for text now ... ."
  • @jamielih  ok well i connected a iphome on tello and used up all my data and now im on 2g speed 64kb i downloaded textnow app and made a few calls and it sounds crystal clear on 2g So technically i got a working Voip plan for $6 a month 

what i was saying earlier is that text now app even works flawlessly on ringplus plus even tho i am throttled to the max that picture above is my ringplus speeds and it works perfect 
    oldbooks1AhhOhWowjamielihVoIPFanRPrp200MCHayashi
    DominicanBrodda:
    @jamielih  ok well i connected a iphome on tello and used up all my data and now im on 2g speed 64kb i downloaded textnow app and made a few calls and it sounds crystal clear on 2g So technically i got a working Voip plan for $6 a month 

what i was saying earlier is that text now app even works flawlessly on ringplus plus even tho i am throttled to the max that picture above is my ringplus speeds and it works perfect 

Wow, thanks for experimenting with Tello, TextNow, & R+ & sharing the results.
    VoIPFanRPChellerp200
  • oldbooks1oldbooks1 Champion 173
    DominicanBrodda:
    it sounds crystal clear on 2g

Were you tests all conducted in a fixed location?
    VoIPFanRP
  • @oldbooks1 i was on the subway when i did it i made like 10 calls at like 5 different train stops all was good
    oldbooks1jamielihVoIPFanRPrp200subhobroto
    I wonder if the voice quality has all to do TextNow's VOIP implementation. Or maybe the nice voice quality occurred because, when you called out using the TextNow app, it switched over from VOIP to cellular calling?
    Sam432VoIPFanRP
  • oldbooks1oldbooks1 Champion 173
    DominicanBrodda:
    i was on the subway when i did it i made like 10 calls at like 5 different train stops all was good

Thanks--that is really an amazingly good experience.
    VoIPFanRP
  • @jamielih it didn't switch to cellular cause im using tello service my plan is $4 for 150 lte then 2g speeds and $2 for 200 text plan must be $5 minimum i have no cellular whats so ever on that phone just 2g speed and 200 minutes, all im doing is using the text now app witch offers unlimited calling and text for free
    jamieliholdbooks1Crimson_TideVoIPFanRPMCHayashi
  • PromozePromoze All Star 125
    Tello has 200 MB LTE for $4, but then it drops to heavily throttled 2g.
    VoIPFanRP
  • @promoze yes i know but textnow app works great even when it's throttled 
    jamieliholdbooks1VoIPFanRP
  • joseph1joseph1 MVP 35
    edited January 30
    TextNow offers a free VOIP app that can be used on any service without having TextNow cellular service. I believe that's what @DominicanBrodda is referring to his using over Tello.
    jamielihSam432VoIPFanRPMCHayashi
  • DominicanBrodda:
    $9.99 for moto g 

You have to buy 1 month of service too. Cheapest is $14 for 1 month. Also, prices for the phones seem to have increased $5.

• @joseph1 that's exactly what i mean im using the free unlimited texting and calling text now app with tello unlimited 2g plan  total $6      
    jamielihSam432oldbooks1VoIPFanRP
  • You guys can try it on ringplus 2g speeds just download text now app and make a free account, these are my ringplus speeds and calling sounds crystal clear Btw ringplus is throttled more than tello so if it works on ringplus it will definitely work on tello. so at the end you have unlimited minutes text and 2g data for $6 a month :) 
    VoIPFanRP
  • DominicanBroda--what do you mean $6/month for those services? That's not through TextNow directly, right? I just went to their site and it looked like the cheapest plan is $14/month.
  • Text now app has free calling and text with wifi. Even give u your own number. 
  • VOIP can really confuse folks when trying to compare it or match it up with cellular stuff - just because it is 100% data based.
    TextNow & FP are 100% VOIP, hence also data based.

There is some incorrect info here, yes:
    DominicanBrodda:
    so if it works on ringplus it will definitely work on tello. so at the end you have unlimited minutes text and 2g data for $6 a month
    To ease the confusion, it may help to look here:
    https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans
    evenflow403:
    DominicanBroda--what do you mean $6/month for those services? That's not through TextNow directly, right? I just went to their site and it looked like the cheapest plan is $14/month.
    For example, unlimited minutes is $15/mo.,  unlimited text is $3/mo. and I did not see anything mentioning 2G data there ??
    (Their data offerings are definitely more spendy than their voice & text charges though...)

If someone really wanted to sort of short circuit most things, they could just get service & a number from TN, then ONLY data services to cover all their uses - but then most likely they will also find that the sound quality in calls is not very good a'tall.

We have tried lots of different combinations & still find that even just 2G voice on an ancient feature phone remains a far better choice (quality-wise) than any type of mobile VOIP that we've tried using in our area.

Lastly - it is worthy of note that this all changes in the presence of a good, solid wifi signal - VOIP & wifi are a great pairing & we use it that way quite a bit with very reliable sound quality.

Of course - you may be in an area with far better data coverage, so YMMV as compared with ours...

• evenflow403:
    what do you mean $6/month for those services? That's not through TextNow directly, right? I just went to their site and it looked like the cheapest plan is $14/month.

They are talking about using Tello for service (selecting the cheapest data and text) for $6/mo. then using Textnow app with Textnow phone number on Tello's plan. Texnow has a free app you can use with anyones data plan.

If you did not mind the old legacy Ringplus delays then you won't mind Textnow's. I left Textnow because of the delays, there were work arounds for the delays on Textnow but I had to have a separate number for calls and a different one for texting, for me it was too much hassle.

Ringplus direct Sprint service works for me and I hope they continue.
    VoIPFanRP
  • Extraterrestrial_Zoologist:
    TextNow & FP are 100% VOIP, hence also data based

Textnow service (not the free app) has cellular and VOIP it has a custom rom that can tell which is best suited for the call and switches to the best one. Sometimes it works sometimes not so good, they did have very good customer service though. When I was with them the VOIP delay was like legacy RP. They do have backend numbers to force cellular only but I found RP direct Sprint to be best for me.
    VoIPFanRP
  • Maybe for you, and where you are...:
    112059:
    Textnow service (not the free app) has cellular and VOIP...
    But not for us, here - it is 100% data dependent here;
    EVEN via their paid offerings & phones.

We tested it all quite diligently & still do use them - but ONLY via their free services via wifi after returning the phones & cancelling the services that were too data dependent to work in our rural area.

What little claim as they could make to being cellular was so weak & unusable as to be quite silly here.

• edited February 1
     First things first i dont use the textnow service all i use is the textnow app 

second i use tello 200 mb lte $4 option that is later throttled to 64kb, as it states in the site. the reason i chose the 200 text option is because a plan minimum on tello is $5, so i chose the next cheapest option.

So when i make and receive calls i use the textnow app that is available for download on the app/play store, and the app uses the 2g data that tello provides . So there you go $6 unlimited call text and 2g data 

Hopefully this is more clear as to what im saying  :) Btw this is not my Actual plan im on mad snow this is just my back up plan if ringplus goes out of business 

oldbooks1jamielihakaLTDVoIPFanRPChellenickjuly4blue_skiesrp200MCHayashiSam432
  • Extraterrestrial_Zoologist:
    Maybe for you, and where you are...:

Everybody has a different experience depending on where they are. I had to force phone to use direct Sprint cellular with Textnow, when I did it was the same as RP direct routed Sprint for me but you had to use a backend number and use a different calling app so you could give it that backend number.
    I kept my Textnow phone and still use it on RP, they were cheap and to use it I have to force stop the Textnow app then use another dialer app with RP but it works.
  • Ah-hah !!
    Now I can see what you meant in that other thread.
    Very cool -IF- one is in an area where there is ANY data coverage...unlike our rural area where even just cellular voice can be hard to come by without driving quite a ways to get some, sometimes.

Should the proposed & already supposedly past 3G upgrade ever manifest around here, then that deal for $6/mo. might even work.

For now - with only AT&T & Verizon allowed here in Vermont & others having to latch onto those providers for there to be ANY services - until one gets about 2 hours away from here and/or into a very populated area the coverages are very limited indeed.

Thanks for clarifying that.