Account Expired. Cannot Create Support Ticket -- What to do?

Hello all,

I had been using RingPlus for a few years. In the past couple months, I had not used my phone only to find out that my account shows "Expired". When I go to the create ticket page, I am unable to do so because the "Which Account.." drop down is empty. 

Any ideas what I should do? I have no idea why my account is in an expired/blocked state.

Comments

• mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    You've missed all the fun.  Ringplus went out of business at the beginning of the year. 

Your account probably migrated over to Ting and you should be able to claim it from there.  You should have received an email about it.
    https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002883127-FAQ-s-about-the-RingPlus-Migration

It has been a long time though so not sure of the status of it now.  You are best looking for a different provider anyway.  I can recommend Twigby and you can get a month free with them to start.  They also have a $20 referral program - PM me if you want details.  
    thunderous-yellow-spotted-banana-slug-748776jamielih
  • Woahhhhh! Haha, what! OK let me crawl out of this cave. Damn! I did miss all the fun.
  • hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 222
    Wow, what happened to you?  :)  Do you live overseas and only visit US once or twice a year?
  • @thunderous-yellow-spotted-banana-slug-748776  I agree with @mmfacemm  -- Twigby is a terrific provider.  They use the Sprint network but also include roaming on Verizon (for calls and texts, not data) and overage protection at no extra charge.  They don't have call-in customer service, but their chat representatives are excellent.  You can't go wrong with Twigby!
  • Or for a very low use phone Tello paygo. $10 min. good 'forever" as long as there is a call or text made at least every 6 mo.
  • KentEKentE Moderator 167
    edited May 18
    din9alin9:
    Or for a very low use phone Tello paygo
    I like both Twigby and Tello. 

If you haven't used your phone in a couple of months, @din9alin9 ;; 's suggestion of Tello might be very good for you, with very intermittent usage.   There Pay As You Go rates are very competitive, and with no monthly minimum charge it may be an excellent fit.

Scan through some of the MVNO threads here in the Community & Deals subforums (accessed through the top menu bar)  to find discussions about Tello, Twigby, and other MVNOs that might work out for you.  A lot of questions have been asked & answered, and there's a good amount of user feedback on different MVNOs available here.

Diedrich_DuoakaLTD

• hhfpphone:
    Wow, what happened to you?    Do you live overseas and only visit US once or twice a year?

I live in the US, but I keep this phone for family visits from overseas.  So essentially, the phone stays dormant until someone needs it and they use it extensively for a couple weeks to months. Tello looks like an excellent fit for my usage model.
    thunderous-yellow-spotted-banana-slug-748776:
    Tello looks like an excellent fit for my usage model.
    A nice advantage is that your current phone should work fine there, too.

When RingPlus had to discontinue service, accounts were transferred automatically to Ting for holding and service assistance.  (No charge unless you approved it.)  This was arranged to assure that people wouldn't be left suddenly on their own to figure out porting, or other issues that might occur.

The important part for you is that a couple of months ago, your phone might have had it's ESN/MEID 'held' in the Ting pool-- and while it was held there, you wouldn't be able to move it elsewhere without asking Ting to release it for you.  (no charge.)
      The word at the time was that after some period of time, all remaining "orphan" phones would be released, and numbers forfeited.

I don't know where your phone might fall in this!  The easy way to check is to go to the Ting BYOD test tool, and see whether it shows as currently available for sign-up, or already active with a carrier.   (The latter would be the Ting "courtesy" hold.)
    The ESN check tool is here:
    https://ting.com/byod

If you don't understand the results, ask here.   If it shows as available for activation on Ting's CDMA service, you're ready to use the hone on Tello or elsewhere. 

thunderous-yellow-spotted-banana-slug-748776Diedrich_Duo
  • thunderous-yellow-spotted-banana-slug-748776:
    Tello looks like an excellent fit for my usage model.

Yes, the paygo bal. would keep the phone "alive" for short sporadic use but if the visitor will use it a lot over more than half a month then be aware you may want to add a "plan" of buckets of data, min., text. The nice thing is that you keep the paygo bal., can choose if it will be used for overages from the plan or not. Very flexible. Another nice thing - If you buy data bucket and turn off overage from paygo bal. then they will still have "2g" slow data after the bucket is used up for the remainder of the plan month.
    akaLTD
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    Yes Tello sounds like a good fit.  A lot of us have Tello especially for those phones we hardly use. The advice to add a plan when needed is also sound.  
  • I mean RP still has FluidCall International Plan, lol only playing.
  • RidetheBusRidetheBus Novice 0
    First of all, sorry to hear thunderous-yellow-spotted-banana-slug-748776 didn't know of RingPlus being shut down! You may or may not still have e-mails from RingPlus and Ting in the e-mail address associated with your RingPlus account from back in February and March of this year (2017).

The final e-mail I have regarding my RingPlus number was from Ting, dated March 7, 2017, stating that RingPlus numbers would "disappear" by 11 PM ET on March 8, 2017. (In my case, after several failed attempts with the signup process I canceled the number.)
    thunderous-yellow-spotted-banana-slug-748776:
    I live in the US, but I keep this phone for family visits from overseas.  So essentially, the phone stays dormant until someone needs it and they use it extensively for a couple weeks to months. Tello looks like an excellent fit for my usage model.
    Over on the "Official Tello Mobile Thread," I mentioned becoming a Tello customer myself by porting another line of service over to them. I would also agree with KentE and your own assessments that Tello would fit your usage pattern as you can keep a line open on Pay as you go and add a plan when you need to. Or keep it on pay as you go and pay 3¢/min. USA voice, 1¢ per SMS, 2¢/MB for data. They also have a comprehensive online list of international calling rates while inside the US.

Finally, regarding any 'Ting ESN hold' that might be associated with the previous R+ device, this is the first I've heard of it. If something does come up, I've discovered Ting's customer service is very helpful even if you're not a customer and if the hold is at their end will probably be glad to help you.
    akaLTD
    RidetheBus:
    Finally, regarding any 'Ting ESN hold' that might be associated with the previous R+ device, this is the first I've heard of it.
    The ESN"hold" i mentioned was part-and-parcel of preserving the line/number, as you've mentioned in your description.  (A number can't be preserved without a device attached.)

RidetheBus:
    The final e-mail I have regarding my RingPlus number was from Ting, dated March 7, 2017, stating that RingPlus numbers would "disappear" by 11 PM ET on March 8, 2017
    And that's the missing link I didn't know about how long that hold might last!   I either missed noticing that email, or didn't receive it because my numbers were all either officially migrated to Ting, or officially cancelled or ported thru Ting, before that period.   Thanks @RidetheBus ;for filling in that missing bit of info for me!