MVNO Record Retention

I closed out my Ting account after porting to Tello.
I find it odd that Ting's site has you call them if you want to close your account, rather than handle it online.

*I asked them to delete my account and they said they weren't sure if they could and would look into it.
I emailed them yet again since I didn't hear back and they said they are not allowed to delete my account per their contract with Sprint.

So instead (per their recommendation, which I was going to do anyway even if they didn't mention it), I will put garbage in my Ting account, setting the email address to something at their domain.

I'm guessing ringplus and any other Sprint MVNO (or any business probably) want to hold onto your records for whatever reason (I can think of possibilities that result in business gain).

My issue with record-retention is the use/abuse of it, as well as the risk that comes from hacks.
If I don't have any more business with a company, I expect all ties to be severed.

Comments

• lexusl21lexusl21 Pro 13
    I agree.  I was confused I still had an account after I ported out.

Their $6 fee per month for nothing was my reason
  • ClassifiedsClassifieds RingPlus 135
    @Vindicator regarding record retention from MVNOS.

Records have to be retained for several purposes by most MVNOs.  You paid for a service, hence records have to be retained for what you paid and how much not only for accounting but also for taxes purposes. In addition subcontractors, which provide services on a profit share basis  may want to be able to audit the books of an MVNO as well as merchant accounts from credit card companies require to hold records for several years.

This said your credit card information is hold securely in most cases by the merchant account and linked to the billing system just with a transaction identification number. 

Since the data has to be maintained most MVNOs still give users access to past data via their account, instead of just making the account unaccessible to endusers. This gives  users the possibility to look up past transactions or call history if needed. 
    akaLTD
  • VindicatorVindicator Novice 0
    @Classifieds Thank you for that descriptive view.

When I was toying with a merchant account over a decade ago, I think I remember a transaction id being involved. With that ID, I'd expect your system would not need to associate a CC or user information.
    That information could probably still be pulled from the payment company but wouldn't be at risk of a hack on the MVNO system (unnecessary increased exposure).
    For accounting/tax purposes, the primary interest is the actual money coming in and going out, not so much the customer details.

But when you do a search for hack or breach regarding credit-cards, you see that information being held by these big-name businesses (not credit card companies).

I was able to alter my user info on Ting, but when it came to the billing portion, I tried changing it to garbage, then to test accounts, then finally my CC with the earliest expiration and none were being allowed. I had to call in to change it to my CC with the earliest expiration.
    If(/when?) a company gets hacked, I want it to be near impossible for my information to be used... and it can't be used if they don't have that information.

That "profit-sharing subcontractor" got under my skin though. It just sounds leech-like. But then an MVNO may be viewed in that same light (piggy-backing off of sprint). If I'm doing business with someone, I want it to be only with them, not any 3rd party. That may just not be realistic (payment processors...).
  • ClassifiedsClassifieds RingPlus 135
    Yeah of course an audit from any third party is only done concerning the data they have to see to evaluate if they got payed right. Every telecom has to license some technology.

Even the big one are audited, FCC, SEC, IRS  and network providers like Lucent, Ericsson.   

Vindicator:
    That "profit-sharing subcontractor" got under my skin though. It just sounds leech-like. But then an MVNO may be viewed in that same light (piggy-backing off of sprint). If I'm doing business with someone, I want it to be only with them, not any 3rd party. That may just not be realistic (payment processors...).