HTC M8 Originally ON sprint then to Ringplus now Want to go back to sprint. Cannot be activated?

ANyone have this problem?
Do roll back my htc phone to sprint settings?
Worked great on sprint then went to ring plus. I am trying to go back to sprint and sprint says it cannot be activated to a sprint account?
any help please

Comments

• chatmsdchatmsd MVP 23
    " I am trying to go back to sprint and sprint says it cannot be activated to a sprint account?"

Did a Spring CS agent tell you that or was it the Sprint BYOD checker? 

You should be able to go back to Sprint.  Sprint CS should be able to do this for you.
  • BlaineBlaine Novice 0
    edited May 6
    @Andy321 ;

You are trying to activate on Sprint Post Paid? What is the reason Sprint gives you as to why you can not activate it on their service?

Did you close the Ring Plus account or port out in order to free up the MEID or contact Ring Plus to properly free the MEID?

Have you had it activated on a Sprint MVNO since?

Did the device migrate to Ting?

What does the Ting ESN Check Tool tell you when you run your M8 through it?

• KentEKentE Moderator 168
    Blaine:
    What does the Ting ESN Check Tool tell you when you run your M8 through it?
    Above is "step one" in my thoughts.   Seeing the status of the phone's current activation status is a great starting place.
    (All of @Blaine 's other questions are good ones-- but this is the one that will definitely need answered.)

• Andy321Andy321 Novice 0
    Ting Bring your own phone says its compatible
    I am trying to sell my phone to someone who has sprint plan
    I did port the number our to Mint sim which works well
    I did notice in the about phone settings it has my phone number still in it with current user name as
    "number"@mvno271.sprintpcs.com
    I never migrated this phone to ting. 
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    @Andy321 said:
    Ting Bring your own phone says its compatible
    I am trying to sell my phone to someone who has sprint plan
    I did port the number our to Mint sim which works well

I'm a bit confused. I admit I don't know much about MintSim nor the HTC M8, but is this phone one that is capable & compatible for use on ALL networks. I thought MintSim was GSM only and didn't use the Sprint network but I could be wrong. 

Yet you said the phone was on R+ indicating it definitely worked on Sprint network. 

Ting uses both Sprint & GSM networks so when you said Ting checker says it's compatible does it say for BOTH GSM *and* Sprint? 

FYI, before you ship the phone you need to remove your Google account *and* do a Factory Reset (##786#). If you don't remove your Google account the buyer won't get past the "enter the Google account used previously on this device", it will be 'Google locked' so to speak. 
  • Andy321Andy321 Novice 0
    Sorry I meant to say that I ported my number to Mint Sim (I use a different phone)

I did that carrier reset on the HTC and now when I turn on it says something about handset activation. So I think its ready for the new buyer. I will give it another try. 
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    Just make sure the new owner can enter their own Google account info. 

I actually took the extra step of encrypting the device before factory resetting it when I was thinking of selling it. Might be overkill but I'm a paranoid type person when it comes to my personal info.   :#

Too late for some of these steps but: https://www.techlicious.com/tip/what-you-need-to-do-before-selling-android-phone-tablet/

Sorry I can't really help more on the other situation why Sprint says it can't be used on their network. 

• JollyjoeJollyjoe Novice 1
    The correct Answer  @Andy321 is that when ringplus transferred our number to ting, they switched our esn from spcs to iblp, you need to call ting , give them your esn and ask them to switch it back to spcs . I was on ting , then tello then tried sprint postpaid, spent over an hour with sprint trying to figure it out, then I called ting have them the esn, 5 minutes later called back sprint and was able to activate. Hope this helps
    @Jollyjoe said:
    The correct Answer  @Andy321 is that when ringplus transferred our number to ting, they switched our esn from spcs to iblp,
    While I do not question your observation about why a particular phone will not activate on Sprint Postpaid, I'm not sure I agree about when the problem might have occurred.

I assume that your spcs/iblp comments are what we usually see mentioned as wholesale/retail?  It's a mysterious process, and I'd love to hear more about it if you have a good understanding of exactly how this works, and what the two states actually mean as far as Sprint is concerned.

By my (limited) understanding, the reclassification of a phone in the retail/wholesale categories happens only at the moment that it is activated, or released back into the larger Sprint pool.  Since the Ting migration specifically was arranged to prevent phones from suddenly becoming inactivate, ESN's should not have been released when migrated to Ting, and the status (wholesale vs retail) should not have changed at this point.

The status may have changed when originally activated on RingPlus, or when released by Ting. 
      I've referred to this post   https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/2705/#Comment_2705   from RIngPlus CTO starteledmarmot that indicates that Sprint dictated exactly which category a phone had to be in during activation, and when deactivated by RingPlus.  It's certainly possible that errors might have been made in some deactivations-- but it shouldn't be an issue at that particular point in time (when transferred to Ting) because the phone was not deactivated during that process.

(My general belief is that these errors probably happen on Sprint's end of the system when a phone is deactivated-- from what I've read, the MVNO doesn't have an option of deciding whether to release to the wholesale or retail pool.)

@KentE thank you for mentioning startled Marmot post, I don't understand it either but according the ting rep, it doesn't automatically switch back to postpaid when you deactivated the device . I agree I should not have been so certain that is his problem, but it is a simple and helpful step to take . Call ting
    @JollyJoe ;  You and I are on the same page about the best step to take!  If one has access to Ting's customer service, they seem exceptionally good about straightening out this sort of problem-- far better than most MVNOs, and in my opinion, much easier than dealing with Sprint!   Sprint should be able to fix the issue easily enough, since it's their system:  but finding a Sprint CS rep who understands the problem seems difficult.
  • BlaineBlaine Novice 0
    edited May 29
    @Jollyjoe said:
    The correct Answer  @Andy321 is that when ringplus transferred our number to ting, they switched our esn from spcs to iblp, you need to call ting , give them your esn and ask them to switch it back to spcs .
    I take it that this designation can not be identified on your device, that you can only see this on the carrier side of the system?

I have heard of the PLBL, so just to confirm, you do have this  acronym iblp correctly stated and this designation is something Ting relayed to you.

@Jollyjoe said:
    I was on ting , then tello then tried sprint postpaid, spent over an hour with sprint trying to figure it out, then I called ting have them the esn, 5 minutes later called back sprint and was able to activate. Hope this helps
    The devices in question were deactivated from service and not currently activated when trying to move to Sprint Post Paid.

Transferring your ESN between Sprint MVNOs should not be an issue, but I could see an issue trying to transfer the ESN from an MVNO to Sprint Post Paid because of how the current ESN is designated on that MVNO. If I remember startledmarmot said Ring Plus automatically sent the ESN back as Post Paid

=====================

I would like to ask and would greatly appreciate if @startledmarmot could better explain the the various categories that a device's status can be categorized as and what those and their designations mean in regard to activating on an Sprint MVNO or Sprint Post Paid.

Explain both those ESN designations above, spcs and iiblp and explain in greater detail what the PLBL is.

What status does the the device needs to be pushed back to, Wholesale or Retail and which is univeral, does an MVNO actually have control on how it is pushed back when deactivated?

Maybe elaborate on how a Boost/Virgin or SPP ESN is designated compared to a Wholesale device like those sold through independent MVNOs and those devices sold as Post Paid.

TIA
  • chatmsdchatmsd MVP 23
    edited May 29
    What is PLBL?  What is iblp? 
    I spelled it wrong . Thanks for correcting it is PLBL to SPCS , ting said it's a setting they apply to the meid to enable them to activate it on their Network, and in order to put it back on sprint they had to switch that setting back. Even though it had been on tello and then released from tello, the setting remained there from when it was on ting.  If anyone else has any more information that would be great , but this was the obstacle that Sprint couldn't figure out
  • BlaineBlaine Novice 0
    Found this from a Ting employee:

"rejusten 5 points 9 months ago

In Sprint's systems, a device has a "phone ownership" flag. If set to SPCS (Sprint PCS), it can usually activate with Sprint postpaid retail. If set to PLBL (private label), it can usually activate with any Sprint MVNO.

Any Sprint MVNO can normally switch a device from PLBL "back" to SPCS. Some do upon request, some seem to have no process for it. Sprint retail customer service usually has no clue how to do it. (They can, but it isn't something they normally are trained on or know to check for in my experience.)

When you deactivate a device with Ting, we set it back to SPCS automatically within a few days to try to save you the hassle of having to call us (or worse, Sprint).

One caveat: TextNow does tend to subsidize the devices you buy from them, sometimes pretty heavily, even though they require no contract. It would be bad karma if you bought a pretty expensive device from them on the cheap and are leaving with it a month or two later imo.

(Full disclosure: I work for Ting.)

Pasted from <https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/4wo3vx/sprint_says_the_phone_cant_be_activated_because/>  "

@Blaine thanks for the reference