Low Cost Carriers for Higher Unit Users

I am not sure how much traffic is on this site anymore or if this is proper place to post, but here are my 2 cents from researching carriers for users that need unlimited calling and texting plus 1 to 2 gb of data.  Most of the promos and maybe Ring Plus base seem to be for lower end unit users.

All plans below include unlimted data and texting; most plans below include unlimited throttled data after high speed data is exhausted, hot spots, roaming.  Most plans below need to add tax (except Metro PCS + Cricket).  Especially if you do not have an unlocked phone, you have to check the provider to see if your phone is compatible with that carrier.  These are the best plans (non broadband) for 1 - 2 gb data I could find at the time of this writing, but note that plans and prices and promos always change for better and worse.  Various carriers offer various promos for first month service.

After typing this all out, I found a good site that lists available plans based upon your data needs.  You can always check:  https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Search?minutes=-1&sms=-1&data=1000&simonly=true&fullspeeddata=false

Mint Sim (Sprint/T Mobile)
$35 promo for 3 months of service includes 2 gb data/mos ($11.67/mos)
$69 after promo for 3 months of service includes 2 gb data/mos ($23/mos)
Can get even lower cost value if you prepay longer periods of 6 or 12 months

Teltik (T Mobile)  **Required to have a business EIN or account.  But  even Uber driver or any type business would qualify.
$20/mos  2 gb
$30/mos 6 gb
$40/mos unlimited data

Twigby (Sprint)  
$21/mos 500 mb
$25/mos 1 gb
$30/mos 2 gb

TPO Mobile (Sprint/T Mobile)  Not included: Hot Spot or unlimited throttled data.  (50% off 1st month)
$21/mos 1 gb
$25/mos 2 gb

H2O Wireless (AT&T)  Includes unlimited 3 G data.  Not included: Hot Spot or roaming.
$27 3 gb (includes $3 discount for auto pay requirement)

EcoMobile (Sprint)  No roaming
$30/mos 2 gb

Metro PCS (T Mobile)  Prices include all tax and fees; promos usually include free smart phone if switch from other carrier
$30/mos 1 gb Promo for 2 gb data if sign up by 6/30/17
$40/mos 3 gb
$50/mos 5 gb  Promo for unlimited data if you sign up by 6/30/17

Cricket (AT&T) Prices include all tax and fees; promos usually include free smart phone if switch from other carrier
$30/mos 1 gb
$35/mos 3 gb (includes $5 discount for auto pay requirement)
$45/mos 8 gb
$55/mos unlimited data

Total Wireless (Verizon)
$33.25/mos 5 gb (includes $1.75 discount for auto pay requirement)

Virgin Mobile (Sprint)
$35/mos 5 gb
$45/mos 10 gb

You can check Freedom Pop or Republic Wireless if you do not mind broadband connection.
If you qualify as low income, you can get free or low cost services with the Obama phone or Lifeline assistance programhttp://www.obamaphone.com/get-obama-phone

Diedrich_DuoHoan

Comments

• Diedrich_DuoDiedrich_Duo MVP 43
    edited April 28
    Great list -- thank you for sharing all of your research!

Boost Mobile (another Sprint MVNO) also offers a plan that includes unlimited calls and texts and 2 GB of data (throttled after you use up your allotment) for $35 a month, but with auto-pay it is only $30 per month and you never have to worry about your service being interrupted.  They have good customer service and quite a few storefront locations (at least here in Southern California), which is a plus if you need any assistance.

Twigby is a great choice, too, for the following reasons:  
    --Unlimited texting with every plan!
    --They use the Sprint network but also include roaming on Verizon for no extra charge.  
    --They don't have a phone number to call for customer service, but their chat support is terrific and available 7 days a week.
    --They offer overage protection (at no extra charge) for calls and/or data.  If you activate it, your calls simply stop until the next billing period, and/or your data gets throttled.  If you don't activate overage protection, they just bump you up to the next-higher rate tier for the remainder of that month's cycle; when your new billing cycle begins, you go back to the plan you were originally on.

Neither of these providers are the least expensive, but IMHO they are definitely worthy of consideration. 
  • scottypmanscottypman Novice 0
    The only other carrier I would add to this discussion is Boom Mobile. They have the cheapest Verizon tower plans I've seen. Unlimited talk and text with 1 GB of data is only $24.99. For a price of $29.99, you can get 2 GB of data. Boom also has Sprint and T-Mobile plans, but the competitors listed above have better value. I've never used their service, so I can't shed any insight on their customer service or order processing. 

I will vouch for Teltik though. I've been with them since RingPlus shutdown. They have 24/7 support and no hold time to reach someone. They have the best customer service I've experienced thus far. You are also eligible for T-Mobile Tuesday promotions, which adds a little value to the plans.

I don't think they are terribly strict on the business requirement. I literally just screenshot my eBay store front to get approval.

On the flip side, their business model is a little sketchy. They literally stick your number on T-Mobile Work account with a bunch of other numbers from around the country. I can't see everyone else's usage, but I do see the other numbers on the My T-Mobile app. It's definitely a privacy concern.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • din9alin9din9alin9 Pro 5
    edited April 28
    I like boom! Mobile also.

On a pure price basis though speedtalk offered Verizon network unlimited/unlimited/1gb for $19.99. I believe that includes tax?? At least I'm pretty sure it does if you sign up before August 2017 per posts here but I can't find those terms on the speedtalk club plans site.

boom! allows tethering. The $19.99 speedtalk plan offered? According to posts here from @ Classifieds they do but again I don't find it in the club plans terms details.

boom! roams on the Verizon extended network (same service as Verizon postpaid) for talk, text & data. I'd be surprised to hear speedtalk does, even for voice only. It may not matter to most because Verizon native is so robust but in some rural areas it makes a significant difference.

boom!  CS has been excellent but hrs. are limited.

Speedtalk seems to be having some teething pains as they bring on new networks and a variety of new "club plans". You will have to have a bit of faith that they will straighten out the issues and make good along with a bit of time to check/monitor/follow up.

I would never recommend any America Movil (Total, mentioned in OP) brand. Atrocious CS, a compete circus doing its best to ignore you and rip you off.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • akula1488akula1488 MVP 45
    edited April 28
    din9alin9:
    Speedtalk seems to be having some teething pains as they bring on new networks and a variety of new "club plans". You will have to have a bit of faith that they will straighten out the issues and make good along with a bit of time to check/monitor/follow up.

yeah I am still waiting the club plan I signed up for, gets billed as described in the plan description
  • With Mint Sim, I assume the monthly rate will jump to $23 per month which the regular rate after the 3-moth promo?

Do I need to purchase a sim card from MINT SIM? My current sim card is from sprint/Ring+.

Thanks.
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    grandmas-beige-honeycomb-flounder-732908:
    With Mint Sim, I assume the monthly rate will jump to $23 per month which the regular rate after the 3-moth promo?

You can purchase an annual plan, 6 month plan, 3 month plan or go month to month once the promo is over.  Price will depend what you choose as the plan does not auto renew unless you selected that at some point.  They offered me 20% off the annual plan before the promo ended so $160. 

ny11tony
  • ny11tonyny11tony Pro 4
    grandmas-beige-honeycomb-flounder-732908:
    With Mint Sim, I assume the monthly rate will jump to $23 per month which the regular rate after the 3-moth promo?

Do I need to purchase a sim card from MINT SIM? My current sim card is from sprint/Ring+

Yes,  I would make the same assumption that after the promo, you probably would pay $23/mos with the 3 mos pre pay.  However, as mmfacemm mentioned, you can pay less if you prepay 6 mos $20/mos or 12 mos $17/mos.  Or sometimes they have 12 mos promo for $160 which is $13/mos.

You will definitely need their sim card.  You can check with them, but I think the sim card is free (or low cost).  You would have to pay ship charge if you need it quickly.  Make sure that your phone is compatible with them (Sprint/T Mobile) and it has a removable sim card.  My phone (Note 2) didnt have a removable sim card so I couldn't use them, but most phones do.

mmfacemm
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    Make sure your phone is unlocked too!