TING: After porting question

I decided to port my number to Google Voice.  Have questions about my Ting account

1)  My Cell phone shows inactive.   That is good
2) My account still shows my cell number (bad)  Even though Google Voice emailed me that port is complete.
3) There is an option to cancel my account.  Do I do that?
4) Should I call Ting tomorrow to cancel account?  Do I have to call at all?  I thought after porting a number out the account is automatically closed?   If I should call Ting maybe wait till Friday to make sure port is complete?

The confusing thing is that Ting still shows my account.  Although cell phone is incative.

Thanks for help

Comments

• Diedrich_DuoDiedrich_Duo MVP 43
    edited April 12
    @lexusl21  I ported out from Ting, too (but I went over to Twigby), and it took several days for my Ting dashboard to show my line as inactive.  I called Ting customer service and they were very nice.  After talking with them, I decided to not hit the "cancel this account" tab and just let things settle.  The customer service rep explained that it would take a few days for the account information to update.  Sure enough, few days later I got an e-mail stating that my next bill was ready to view (my last one for the partial month that I ported out).  Now, when I log in, my phone shows as inactive, my phone number is not on the "Account Details" (except as my primary contact number), and there are no current usage / device / account charges.  I never completely cancelled everything, but I may do so sometime later.

So... as long as your number has ported over successfully to Google Voice and everything is working fine, I would suggest that you just wait a few days or a week or so, and if you are still concerned about any of your information being out there on the Ting website, you could always call their customer service people and request a complete cancellation -- or just hit that "Cancel this account" tab and do it yourself (I think).  Either way, good luck!
    Karloldbooks1
  • My phone shows inactive on ting website  and I tried to make a call and it is no longer able to dial out.  So I assume my phone is fee and I can use it on another carrier.

I will take your advice and wait till next week.

Thanks
    Diedrich_Duo
  • oldbooks1oldbooks1 Champion 174
    You can easily check if the phone was been released- just enter the MEID on Ting/Tello etc.

From my own limited experience with Ting, "cancellation" of the account was not what I expected.

First, you need to call, receive a pin at the email on file, provide that pin, and have the agent complete the cancellation.

After I did this several days later, while Ting had confirmed the account had been canceled, I could still log in and see my credit card information.

I needed to make a second call, go through the pin validation process and have the agent delete the card.   Of course, if you have used a virtual card for this one situation, you could cancel that yourself once you are satisfied all obligations to Ting have been properly settled.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • The password pin is on the webpage. This os what I gave google voice with account number.  I tried to make call on ting phone and it wont connect. Plus their  website says the phone is not active.   So I am sure it is free and I can use it on other carrier
  • So my Number that I ported is still showing on TING website

My phone does show as deactivated.

Will  ting continue to charge me $6 per month for no usage?

Maybe it is time to call them?
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    oldbooks1:
    From my own limited experience with Ting, "cancellation" of the account was not what I expected.

First, you need to call, receive a pin at the email on file, provide that pin, and have the agent complete the cancellation.

Ting requires a pin for verification purposes when they do certain things on the account. When chatting with them, before they would complete a phone swap they needed to confirm I was the account holder and/or had authority to make changes by emailing a pin. It's actually a good thing. Means someone can't just mess with you & your account to get back at you for some reason .. like a relationship that goes sour. Unless that other party knows the email used on the account & the password to log into your email they can't close your account or swap your phone out. 

lexusl21:
    The password pin is on the webpage.

The pin oldbooks1 is talking about is more like a verification pin that is new & different every time it's required to make certain changes on your account. It wouldn't be listed on your account as they'll send it in an email to the email address for your account. 

It sounds like what you're referring to is the port out pin which is not the same thing oldbooks was talking about. The port out pin would only be used to port out your number. 

lexusl21:

I would contact Ting to ask & verify. I find Chat to be the quickest way to deal with support & like getting a transcript of the conversation but that's just my preference.  
  • lexusl21lexusl21 Pro 13
    edited April 16
    Was thinking the same with chat.  They open tomorrow? 

Ps since you are a mod.   I am getting gateway 504 error when I click my inbox? Today only.  Issue? 
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    The Gateway 504 error (timeout) has been intermittent for a couple of days-- sometimes pretty hard to get through!   The problem seems worse on the Community side of the forum, and not as bad on the Deals/Home side of the forum.   Since that was pointed out, I've been entering the forum through Deals. 
      Unfortunately, it appears that the PM system is run off the Community side of the website, so even if you have Deals open and working, you may still have problems with your InBox.

I've sent a message to the staff, just in case they weren't aware of this:  but for now, the only advice is to keep trying once in a while!
  • I spoke to ting via chat. It is taken care of.  Thanks for help.   You can delete this thread if you want
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    @lexus21 ;  Glad you made some progress!   I think there's some good info here to help other folks, and no need to delete it!  (For example, the difference between the Ting account PIN, and short-term verification PIN.)
    lexusl21:
    I spoke to ting via chat. It is taken care of.  

It might help other forum member if you can tell us how it was taken care of such as did you get an answer to this last question about deactivated device and the $6 charge? 

lexusl21:
    So my Number that I ported is still showing on TING website

My phone does show as deactivated.

• lol greedy Ting. I have a inactive phone that has been OFF since February, and in April it still gets dinged for one, single SMS message so that I got charged $3.
    $3 for ONE SMS message that I have not even received.
    akula1488:
    lol greedy Ting. I have a inactive phone that has been OFF since February, and in April it still gets dinged for one, single SMS message so that I got charged $3.
    $3 for ONE SMS message that I have not even received.

I wouldn't say they're greedy it's just the way automated billing works. Chat or call them them about it, they might refund it that charge. 

I had turned off SMS on one device but then I swapped it & turned it back on to make sure everything was working right but forgot to to turn it back off. Wouldn't you know days later I'd get 3 spam SMS within minutes of each other using the same name but different phone numbers coming from different parts of the USA. I chatted with Ting & asked if they'd be willing credit that $3  ... I really hated to pay $3 to get 3 spam messages, they were quite nice about it & did give me credit for it.

Stupid spammers don't care that not everyone has unlimited calling, texting, data and they cost us money.