Does Google Voice Another confusing question.

lexusl21lexusl21 Pro 13
edited April 12 in How Do You Do That?
Does Google Voice work well with Mr.number or other spam blockers?

I see that google voice has a spam blocker but I see no way to add numbers to it.  So if you install mr. number or other spam blockers does Google voice still work well n your phone?

Also I assume that the google spam blocker only works if a spammer calls you google voice number and not the original cell phone number?

Thanks guys

Comments

• LortiripLortirip MVP 25
    edited April 17
    Spam Blockers will work regardless of the Google Voice app, they do not interfere with each other.

While true you cannot add numbers directly to the Global GV Spam Filter (but you can tell GV to block those numbers after they come in), you can hack together your own GV pseudo block list using a single Voice Contact entry set to Block Caller.  Each additional number added to that Contact will also be Blocked.  Unfortunately, to access that individual Contact Block Caller functionality, you'll need to rely on some convoluted Legacy Settings, it's not an easy find.

Correct, the GV Spam Filter will only work with calls to your GV number, so adding a phone based Spam Blocker should give you added protection for calls straight to your cell number.

Good luck.
  • Google keeps it's own internal list of potential/verified spam callers. It does a pretty good job of filtering past spam from calling you or other GV users in the future.

You can improve it by marking any spam calls you receive, it will then block any future calls from that number and add that number to it's spam list. But you can't add any random number you didn't receive to the spam list.

If you want to install the Mr. Number app, that's okay too. It won't affect how GV filters spam and will add another layer of filter for the spam caller to have to pass in order for the call to reach you.
  • So if you get a spam caller you mark it as spam and google voice instantly puts it on your list and they are blocked?   Can you view your list? 
    So if yhey call back in 5 minutes they are blocked?
    What do the spamers hear? 

Thanks for answers
  • lexusl21:

In tests I've done previously, they hear the SIT tone (indicates to auto dialers number not valid) and then the message "The number you dial is not in service, please try your call again"  or similar. 
    akaLTD
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 127
    Use Google Voice on desktop browser, & you can block numbers. I've been blocking numbers on GV for quite some time.

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+voice+block+numbers
  • Classical_Music:
    In tests I've done previously, they hear the SIT tone (indicates to auto dialers number not valid) and then the message "The number you dial is not in service, please try your call again"  or similar. 

Thanks

• lexusl21lexusl21 Pro 13
    edited April 10
    jamielih:
    Use Google Voice on desktop browser, & you can block numbers. I've been blocking numbers on GV for quite some time.

Thanks!   So not possible in Google voice APP?

UPDATE:   It is in the app also. yea!

edited April 12
    Ok so lets say you have

1) Google voice with your main number that was ported from ting (A)
    2) A MNVO with another number (B)

You forward all your (B) calls and text thru (A)

As long as you are on WIFI using GOOGLEVOICEapp  for calls and texts.  Then there is no charge for them with your MNVO (B)    Is that correct?   Even if texts and calls are showing number (A)

edited April 12
    What if I use the built in Android messager app with the same setup? WillI get a charge for a text from MNVO in wifi?  What about not in wifi?  Do I get charge for a text or data?

lexusl21:
    Ok so lets say you have

You forward all your (B) calls and text thru (A)

As long as you are on WIFI using GOOGLEVOICEapp  for calls and texts.  Then there is no charge for them with your MNVO (B)    Is that correct?   Even if texts and calls are showing number (A)

If you set up your GV texts to forward to phone / number B, and phone B is on WiFi, and phone B has GV app, your texts received by GV app on phone B will normally not be charged against carrier text allotment / costs. But, because you've set up GV texts to forward to phone / number B, your carrier texting app (Messenger, etc.) will also receive the texts, & those texts will count against allotment / costs. To avoid such costs, disable forwarding GV texts to phone / number B. You can then receive such texts via Wifi for no cost by using GV app or Hangouts app.

If you set up your GV calls to forward to phone / number B, and phone B is on WiFi, and phone B has GV app, your calls will not be received by GV app on phone B, because GV app doesn't receive calls. So your calls will be received by phone's dialer, & those received calls will count against allotment / costs. To avoid such costs, disable forwarding GV calls to phone / number B. You can then receive such calls via Wifi for no cost by Hangouts app.

Confusing as hell, imho.

akaLTD
  • jamielih:
    If you set up your GV texts to forward to phone / number B, and phone B is on WiFi, and phone B has GV app, your texts received by GV app on phone B will normally not be charged against carrier text allotment / costs. But, because you've set up GV texts to forward to phone / number B, your carrier texting app (Messenger, etc.) will also receive the texts, & those texts will count against allotment / costs. To avoid such costs, disable forwarding GV texts to phone / number B. You can then receive such texts via Wifi for no cost by using GV app or Hangouts app.

If you set up your GV calls to forward to phone / number B, and phone B is on WiFi, and phone B has GV app, your calls will not be received by GV app on phone B, because GV app doesn't receive calls. So your calls will be received by phone's dialer, & those received calls will count against allotment / costs. To avoid such costs, disable forwarding GV calls to phone / number B. You can then receive such calls via Wifi for no cost by Hangouts app.

Confusing as hell, imho.
    jamielih,

Yes it is and thank you for help.

My set up as now is:

1) No Forward messages to GV
    2) I am forward calls since I want my phone to ring. When my ported number is called.    If I turn off the Call Foward then my GV or Hangouts app would ring?   That means if On wifi it works on wifi and if not it works on Data like freedom pop?

If the calls are forward and it is thru Cellnuvo and that is cellular calls.  Does that mean the foward call is on cellular?

Thanks so much.  I am confused with this setup.  I do not want to be in position on losing my number like I could of with R+

• akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    lexusl21:
    I am forward calls since I want my phone to ring. When my ported number is called.  

I think you said your GV is the ported number you want to ring & get calls on. If that's the case, if you do NOT forward your GV number, then all calls to your GV number will ring in Hangouts on *every* phone you have Hangouts app installed on, are logged into your account and have it set to "accept incoming calls" 

I have Hangouts on 3 phones & they *all* ring when anyone calls my GV number. Gets interesting when they all have different ringtones which I did on purpose for testing. lol  I say they'll all ring but I'm having trouble with my LG Stylo not ringing reliably, all the others do though but that's another issue that seems more related to that device than GV or Hangouts. 

I like having all my phones ring my GV # in Hangouts especially since that Stylo is not reliable, I can still hear & answer the call using the other phone(s). 

My brother likes it that way too. He has one phone in his office & another in his living room. When someone calls his GV number it will ring both phones making it easier to hear it & answer the call no matter which room he's in. 

• My set up

1) gv with my main ported number
    2) cellnuvo with their free number
    3) texts are not forward but calls are
    4) hangout us srt not to ring incoming calls
    5) google voice is set to receive voice mail and texts. No need to use cellnuvo credits.

So let me understand. If I forward a call from gv number to cellnuvo number. I get a cellular quality call?

If I do not foward and answer call via hangouts. I will get a voip quality call.  Either via wifi or data from cellnuvo?   Is that correct?

I want and need cellular quality calls.  This is reason I never went freedompop route.

Now if a friend uses cellnuvo number for calls direct. I will bypass google voice?  And get cellular quality calls?   Of course with the cellnuvo charges.

Thanks
  • akaLTD:
    akaLTD

What do you think of my last post question?

Thanks for any insight

lexusl21:
    So let me understand. If I forward a call from gv number to cellnuvo number. I get a cellular quality call?

Yes

lexusl21:
    If I do not foward and answer call via hangouts. I will get a voip quality call.  Either via wifi or data from cellnuvo?   Is that correct?

Yes

You can also be crazy & set it up this way: Forward call from GV number to CellNuvo AND set up Hangouts (probably need Hangouts Dialer app, too) on the CellNuvo device to answer GV calls. In this crazy setup, when someone dials your GV number, both your native dialer & Hangouts ring simultaneously on the CellNuvo device. Two different ringtones simultaneously. You could try to answer with the preferred dialer if you want. If you answer with native dialer, you'll get cellular quality using cell minutes allotment. If you answer with Hangouts, you'll get VOIP & use Wifi or cellular data allotment.

I have that set up on at least 1 of my devices (not CellNuvo, but no difference), & when both ringers go off on that device at the same time, I'm usually confused as to how to pick a particular dialer to answer. But I don't try very hard & have never experimented.

• jamielih:
    Forward call from GV number to CellNuvo AND set up Hangouts (probably need Hangouts Dialer app, too) on the CellNuvo device to answer GV calls
    I have this setup now with Hangouts app installed BUT I set the hangouts not to ring.  So just my native dialer rings.

I know this all sounds crazy.   It is the price I pay not to be at the mercy of a small MNVO going out of business and taking my main cellnumber (Had for 15 years) with them.  If Ting did not step in and I had not been on the forum all the time.   I would of had a week until I lost my number.  Unless the FCC stepped in.  What if I was on vacation, sick, or just busy to go on the boards?   You know we still have posters coming here asking what happened to their cell service and number.

This way if I lose the temp number given by cellnuvo or any MNVO.  I won't care.

I do like the spam block and number block feature as well as the voicemail.  With GV.  I still think $20 is pricey, but I have some piece of mind.

I thank you for the clarification.  It was what I thought.  I am new to GV and I wanted to make sure I set it up properly.

Also this way I can change to any MNVO I want with just a click of a button.  No waiting for port or missing out on a flash promo.

Any further suggestions is more then welcome.

I hope it is ok to ask if I have any further questions?

Thanks

PS  I am leaving my spare phone vacant for now.  In case some great sprint based flash promos are posted

• jamielih:

You can also be crazy & set it up this way: Forward call from GV number to CellNuvo AND set up Hangouts (probably need Hangouts Dialer app, too) on the CellNuvo device to answer GV calls. In this crazy setup, when someone dials your GV number, both your native dialer & Hangouts ring simultaneously on the CellNuvo device. Two different ringtones simultaneously. You could try to answer with the preferred dialer if you want. If you answer with native dialer, you'll get cellular quality using cell minutes allotment. If you answer with Hangouts, you'll get VOIP & use Wifi or cellular data allotment.

I have that set up on at least 1 of my devices (not CellNuvo, but no difference), & when both ringers go off on that device at the same time, I'm usually confused as to how to pick a particular dialer to answer. But I don't try very hard & have never experimented.

Texting question:
    1) Texts are to my GV Ported number.  So if I am home it is on WIFI and it is FREE of charge and when  am out or at work it costs just DATA on cellnuvo and it costs just 20 silver for 20 texts verse 60silver  for 20 texts direct on cellnuvo 3 silver per text.  Is this correct?

Also

2) What happens if someone calls my cellnuvo and I through it to voicemail BUT I made GV my voicemail and not the native voicemail.   Is there a charge? 

• lexusl21:
    Can you view your list? 

Can you view your list? 
    No, you can't view your list. But you can view a list of previous spam calls if you go to the "Spam" folder on GV.

They are blocked if they are on the Spam/blocked list

Not sure what they hear. I think someone else has answered the question.

• Ok checked spam folder.  Shows 3 calls with 4 second vocemail.   The voicemail only shows in spam folder.  Not voicemail tab

1)  why does it give me the option to block calls in spam folder??   Aren't calls in spam folder already blocked?
    edited April 19
    lexusl21:
    when  am out or at work it costs just DATA on cellnuvo and it costs just 20 silver for 20 texts verse 60silver  for 20 texts direct on cellnuvo 3 silver per text.  Is this correct?

Yep. That's the price we pay for using Hangouts or GV to receive texts over data connection.
    lexusl21:
    2) What happens if someone calls my cellnuvo and I through it to voicemail BUT I made GV my voicemail and not the native voicemail.   Is there a charge? 

I believe you currently have 2 voicemail inboxes. CellNuvo's & GV's. Try it. Call your CellNuvo number directly vs. call your GV number directly (possibly with your CellNuvo phone turned off to make it a cleaner experiment.)
  • Yes I clicked on the googlevoice app to make gv voicemail the one that answers both for my cellnuvo number and my gv number.   The gv voicemail answers for both numbers.  I can uncheck that option and it goes bact to two voicemails

Question is if I have it setup for gv to answer bi th gv number and cellnuvo number. Do I get charged if someone calls my cellnuvo number and I do not answer but the gv voicemail records the voicemail. 

I know it is cellnuvo number voicemail that answers I do not get charged

Good question huh?  Advanced lol