Could you please unlock my phone?

Hello, I used have two lines in my account.  One account was blocked because that plan was stopped and I did not get time to switch new plan before that plan stopped.  Now, I could not use that phone on other carrier because the phone is locked.  And my second line has been transferred to Ting.  When I tried to change carrier, I face the same issue.  Could you please unlock my phones? Thank you!

Comments

• KentEKentE Moderator 166
    Your best bet is to follow up with Ting-- I believe they offered to follow up with issues like this.  RingPlus no longer has connections to the Sprint backbone to release a phone. 
       There is also a lot of confusion about the term "locked", or "unlocked, versus having the ESN released.   For example, if you're using most Sprint-based phones, the ESN can be released to be used on another Sprint MVNO, but there's no way to "unlock" it to use on an AT&T or T-Mobile based carrier.
       Have you run the ESN/MEID on the Ting BYOD test tool?   If so, what does it tell you?   If it tells you it can be used on Ting's CDMA service, the ESN has been released.

If you want help trouble-shooting, you should provide details on the phone model. 
    VoIPFanRP
  • hyanghyang Novice 0
    @KentE Thanks for the reply!  As I mentioned, I have one line is with Ting right now.  But, the other line (which was blocked by Ringplus during the time that plan got stopped) was not applicable to be transferred to Ting.  So, I do need your help for this phone.
    @hyang
      What phone are you having issues with?   Please include manufacturer, name, and model number.
     What carrier are you trying to activate it on?
    Can you tell us a little more about the phone being 'blocked' by RingPlus at the time of migration to Ting?   Many phones that were in suspended accounts, and/or lines that had been recently cancelled at RingPlus migrated to Ting anyway.

Please enter the MEID on the BYOD test tool at Ting https://ting.com/byod
    and copy the resulting message here, including if it says the phone can be activated on either/or CDMA or GSM service.

VoIPFanRP
  • ChiuchiuChiuchiu Novice 0
    edited March 26
    I have similar situation here. I ported my number and phone to crick wireless without any problem.(iPhone 7 unlocked). (CDMA to GSM).
    Now I switch to Boost Mobile(CDMA),  I can't use my iPhone. It says the iPhone is locked, and won't allow me to swap. Check with TING's BYOD tool, it pass. Any suggestions? Thx
  • Have you tried carrier reset on your phone? Do you have sprint SIM card?
  • ChiuchiuChiuchiu Novice 0
    edited March 27
    Check with Boost Mobile and Sprint. They were unable to activate the phone. It looks like phone activated with Ringplus can't use on other CDMA network, except Ting. 
    edited April 1
    Chiuchiu:
    . It looks like phone activated with Ringplus can't use on other CDMA network, except Ting. 
    If so, this phone and number have migrated to Ting.   You need to follow up with Ting to get it released.  (There are no phones currently active on RingPlus-- they all moved to Ting.)

You may still be able to do this by locating the emails Ting sent to your registered RingPlus email address-- there was a simple click-through process to either finish the migration to Ting (and activate your phone there), or to cancel the line with Ting (and free the ESN, while losing the phone number), or to port out to another carrier with no further obligation to Ting.

If the link in that email is no longer functional, you'll need to contact Ting to release the ESN.   They're helpful folks.  
      According to the plan, if you do nothing at all, the phone ESN will eventually be released by Ting in any case-- but I wouldn't take the chance of that happening smoothly.   It's better to follow up now, and make sure it's handled correctly.

Please follow these steps to confirm that the phone ESN is currently held by Ting:

KentE:
    Please enter the MEID on the BYOD test tool at Ting https://ting.com/byod
    and copy the resulting message here, including if it says the phone can be activated on either/or CDMA or GSM service.
    If the results indicate that Ting Is NOT holding the ESN (by telling you that you can activate the phone now at Ting), then your problem is not a "held" ESN at all, but perhaps an issue with the iPhone activation policy, or a different problem.

VoIPFanRP
  • I had a Galaxy S5 that I used on RingPlus for over a year. After I found out you were going out of business I found another carrier and ported my number to them. This was BEFORE the date everything was going to get transferred to Ting. My Galaxy would not work with my new provider so I sold the phone on Ebay to a guy who wanted to use it with Sprint and, seeing as it was a "Sprint" phone and RingPlus was using their network, all he would need was a SIM and he was good to go. Shortly after he received the phone, I got notice he wanted a refund because he couldn't get the phone to work saying it was "rooted"?? 
    I had no ida what that meant so I got the phone back and gave his money back. I then took it to my local Sprint tech who, although she didn't put a SIM in it, assured me the phone was good to go. Sold it again and just got another return request. He took it to his Sprint store who said it had been "flashed" and would not work. I did not flash it, I only reset it for sale. So, evidently when I originally set it up for RingPlus, the process made it useless for anyone who wanted to use it for Sprint again. 
    Actually, I have no idea if it would work with anyone and have no way to find out.
    I would ask for compensation for my now useless phone but, reading the rest of the posts, I'm sure I would just get a runaround like they are. I guess we all got we "paid" for.
    KNash
    edited April 1
    messy-green-polka-dotted-giraffe-142332:
    I had a Galaxy S5 that I used on RingPlus for over a year.

It's hard to guess why Sprint is telling you the phone is fine for activation, and your buyers are saying they're having problems-- one possibility for the buyers having problems is because they're having difficulty as a result of trying to use an incorrect SIM card.  Another possibility is that the buyers are trying to activate the phone on an incompatible carrier.

Unless there's some pressing reason (like having used the SIM since in a different phone), there's no need to remove the SIM when selling a Sprint phone-- there's no information stored on the SIM card.

It's easy enough to test to see if the phone MEID/ ESN has been properly released for use elsewhere-- carefully copy down the MEID of the phone, and enter it in the form

https://ting.com/byod

If that test tells you the phone can be activated on Ting's CDMA service, the ESN has been properly released and the phone can be used on another Sprint MVNO.

If the test doesn't tell you it can be activated on Ting's CDMA service, please copy the message and share it with us here.   We'll see if we can figure out what's going on.   You may need to follow up with Sprint in that case.

RingPlus didn't do anything to modify the operating system of your phone-- the only possibility for RingPlus being involved in your difficulty is if the MEID/ESN was not properly released for use elsewhere.

VoIPFanRP
  • VoIPFanRPVoIPFanRP All Star 73
    messy-green-polka-dotted-giraffe-142332:
    Shortly after he received the phone, I got notice he wanted a refund because he couldn't get the phone to work saying it was "rooted"??
    ---
    Sold it again and just got another return request. He took it to his Sprint store who said it had been "flashed" and would not work.

Your buyers are telling you that your Galaxy S5 has a non-factory ROM installed on the phone.

"Rooting" is normally done prior to installing a custom/3rd party ROM, which is "flashed" to the phone.

KentE:
    RingPlus didn't do anything to modify the operating system of your phone

:+1: