PSA - Watch your credit card activity. Credit card on file received fraud alerts last night.

Probably just a coincidence, but my credit card on file with Ringplus got some fraud alerts last night.  They happened to be attempted charges to Metro PCS.  Seems a little fishy so I just wanted to notify everyone to keep an eye on their credit card activity.

Since my card on file is now cancelled, should I put a fresh one on file, or just let the dead one lie there??

RidetheBusfurry-azure-houndstooth-sand-400068Sam432VoIPFanRPSoteria1Sukmahdik

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up David. I'll definately be watching my cc until the port out to Ting is complete.

On the other note why would anyone pay $30 to $40 a month for service that doesn't include unlimited talk & text?
    Boost (Sprint) - unl t/t/2gb - $30, MetroPCS (T-mobile) - unl t/t/1gb w/unl 2G $30 , Total Wireless (Verizon) - unl t/t/5gb $35, Net10 (AT&T) - unl t/t/3gb w/unl 2G $36

After R+ demise I can't find anyone serving the under $20 a month customer with unlimited t/t and at least 1g of data.

I guess there a good reason for that huh?

sleek-olive-paisley-eggs-855312
  • furry-azure-houndstooth-sand-400068:
    After R+ demise I can't find anyone serving the under $20 a month customer with unlimited t/t and at least 1g of data.

Check TPO.com: Unlimited talk/text +1GB for $21, first 3 months $16.80.

@David: I got a fraud alert on my Chase card the day after I signed up with RingPlus in December. I think it was just a coincidence, though. If I were a criminal looking for high value credit cards, I would target AT&T and Verizon customers, not RingPlus.

VoIPFanRPfurry-azure-houndstooth-sand-400068
  • @David ;

"Probably just a coincidence"

It 99.99% is just a coincidence and not related to anything RingPlus, yet your post implies RingPlus is causing the fraud activity.
    The charge was from MetroPCS NOT RingPlus, so how can RingPlus be involved? Just because you happened to have the card on file on RingPlus? Get real.

Jezz, some of the wackos that free RingPlus service attract is astounding. 
    akaLTDChelle
  • Did you eat at Arby's ? They just had a major credit card breach.
    VoIPFanRPhhfpphoneakaLTDSoteria1
  • Mint $14 per month for unlimited everything including 2gb of data at full speed and 2g after that. Pay for a year in full to get this deal.
    furry-azure-houndstooth-sand-400068
  • Hey FURRY AZURE....look at Mint Sim at $12 a month for unlimited talk, text and essentially unlimited data at 2G.  I got some MintSim cards pretty quick and like their plans....no ripoffs at that site.
    furry-azure-houndstooth-sand-400068
  • VoIPFanRPVoIPFanRP All Star 73
    BrentskyBoodle:
    Did you eat at Arby's ? They just had a major credit card breach.

As did InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG - Holiday Inn's parent) at 12 (so far) restaurants and bars between Aug 2016 through Dec 2016:

Soteria1
  • hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 222
    I had fraud alerts for Cricket before... not from a card that I used on Ringplus, though.
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    edited February 15
    I got fraud alert when I signed up a line on FreedomPop from Citi and wasn't a card used on RingPlus.

I read somewhere cell phones & cell service are high fraud item so many credit card companies probably take a closer look at them and are much quicker to throw up the fraud alert. Sorry I don't have the link where I read that.
  • I use only virtual credit cards for accounts like these, and don't have to worry about any of that fraud. Bank of America and Citi have them. After the first transaction only the same merchant can charge the card subsequently, it can be closed any time, and a dollar limit can be set. Very happy with this setup.
    hhfpphoneResultOneVoIPFanRP
    edited February 15

olegos99:
    I use only virtual credit cards for accounts like these, and don't have to worry about any of that fraud.
    I normally do that too but I've found a few times some virtual cards won't work at some merchants. Plus I forgot to set the $ limit high enough at FP to charge the card the 1st month amount if it needed to. FP checks the card by running a temp "charge" for the full amount which it then reverses (or voids) so it shows up as a pending charge for a few days before it drops off.

olegos99:
    After the first transaction only the same merchant can charge the card subsequently, it can be closed any time, and a dollar limit can be set. Very happy with this setup.
    I never read that the Citi Virtual number can only be used at the same merchant after the 1st transaction but could have overlooked it. Can you point me to that info?

Or I guess I could or need to read the "fine print" again.
  • akaLTD:
    I never read that the Citi Virtual number can only be used at the same merchant after the 1st transaction but could have overlooked it. Can you point me to that info?

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Products/Virtual-Account-Numbers

In the FAQ:

Q: Why use Virtual Account Numbers? 
    A: By using Virtual Account Numbers, you get peace of mind knowing that your actual credit card number is never revealed to merchants. Plus, each number can only be used with a single merchant, so it will be void if someone tries to use it elsewhere.

Also, in the list of previously generated numbers in the VAN console, once a number is used, you can see that it's bound to a merchant.

Sam432Soteria1VoIPFanRP
  • Also:
    akaLTD:
    I forgot to set the $ limit high enough at FP to charge the card the 1st month amount if it needed to.

I usually don't try to get the limit close to the expected usage. If I expect $30 charge, I might set the limit at $100. Holding the expected merchant to the exact amount is not the purpose here.

VoIPFanRP
    olegos99:
    Q: Why use Virtual Account Numbers? A: By using Virtual Account Numbers, you get peace of mind knowing that your actual credit card number is never revealed to merchants. Plus, each number can only be used with a single merchant, so it will be void if someone tries to use it elsewhere.

Also, in the list of previously generated numbers in the VAN console, once a number is used, you can see that it's bound to a merchant.
    Thanks. I've been busy & didn't get around to looking for it yet so appreciate you doing it for me. 

I'm using the same number on 2 different merchants but I don't expect any charges for either one so I guess if one charges something it shouldn't, the other definitely won't be able to. :)

olegos99:
    I usually don't try to get the limit close to the expected usage. If I expect $30 charge, I might set the limit at $100. Holding the expected merchant to the exact amount is not the purpose here.

To me limiting how much a merchant can charge is one of the main reasons for using virtual numbers, well yes not having to give out real number is just as important too. But I do set my $ limit low with a small cushion, in order for a merchant not to charge me more than they should.

VoIPFanRP
  • Netcub:
    Mint $14 per month for unlimited everything including 2gb of data at full speed and 2g after that. Pay for a year in full to get this deal.

underthebedmonster:
    Hey FURRY AZURE....look at Mint Sim at $12 a month for unlimited talk, text and essentially unlimited data at 2G.  I got some MintSim cards pretty quick and like their plans....no ripoffs at that site.
    Hey guys, thanks for replys.
    I did check out Mint but they run on the T-Mobile GSM network.
    This would require a whole new set of phones for me.
    As bad as Sprint is in Mid TN, T-Mo is worse.

They do offer great prices except for the whole pay for 3, 6 or 12 months in advance to get those good prices.

Sorta sounds like R+ when they were hawking M+ value. Had R+ made it a couple of years the value would have been great.

Anytom:
    Check TPO.com: Unlimited talk/text +1GB for $21, first 3 months $16.80.

Anytom, thanks! I looked at them also but just like Mint they use T-Mo but also Sprint CDMA.

For $10 more per month I go back to Verizon coverage and 4gb of data that works everywhere I go.

I do envy those of you that have great Sprint and T-Mo coverage.

VoIPFanRP
  • hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 222
    you can get verizon by buying Red Pocket.  Apparently, you can choose the carrier when you activate.
    AnytomVoIPFanRP