Valentine’s Day—Greatest Alternative Fact Ever?

Tomorrow February 14 is a day on which many important events occurred in history.  Here are some that are rather well known in this country.  These are all indisputable facts that anyone can verify with ease.

1803 (Chief Justice Marshall stated any Act of Congress that conflicts with the Constitution is void.

1929 (Al Capone settled a business dispute)

1951 (Sugar Ray Robinson took middleweight title)

1991 (The Silence of the Lambs was released)

2016 (The Revenant won the Best Film award at the BAFTAS).

Of course, nobody really thinks of any of these events on that day because everyone is being scammed by the biggest alternative fact in human history.

People believe that February 14 is the one day throughout the year that should be devoted entirely to true expressions of heartfelt love for the object of one’s affection.  Typically this love is symbolized through the selection and giving of a gift that perfectly captures the full intensity of the enduring bond of affection felt toward that person who in turn recognizes that token to be exactly what it is intended to be.  Historically, the male gender has generally taken the role of the party selecting that perfect gift.

Now let’s examine the facts:

First, the story is phony.  St. Valentine’s Day is not actually February 14 but rather February 15.  It was changed to the earlier date by Pope Gelasius in 498 AD supposedly to honor the martyrdom of St Valentine.  The real motive was different and was solely to end the joyful festival of Lupercalia which was a time during which boys dressed up as goats and dogs and engaged in activities that are probably better left undescribed in a family-friendly environment such as this.

So the whole purpose of the day was to banish fun and focus solemnly on an execution. 

Who then was St. Valentine?  Here accounts differ but a generally accepted version is that Valentine performed marriages in defiance of the law and was imprisoned and sentenced to death.  While awaiting execution he cured the blindness of a jailor’s daughter and  before the execution reportedly sent her a note “from your Valentine.”  There was no last lasting love match or indeed perhaps any real romantic bond at all between the two.

How this actual set of events became the basis for the global annual insanity that occurs every February 14 is one of the greatest mysteries in human history.  It is a hoax that has lasted for more than 1,500 years and bilked billions of gullible people out of trillions of dollars.  Bernie Madoff is a rank amateur compared to the con men that have pulled this one off.  If ever there were a need for government intervention to protect consumers it is here. 

Being realistic, that will not happen before next year so a strategy is needed to manage the immediate crisis.  The male gender is more at risk here.

February 14 has become the one day in which men all around the world are united by a common bond and that is FEAR.  In their normal activities, whether it is fixing a car, facing down a bear, exploring the remotest jungle, solving the world’s most intractable political problems, men always exude confidence, determination, and an absolute certainty of succeeding.

On February 14 homo sapiens is replaced by a fear-filled,  confused, and disoriented animal who knows that no matter how hard he tries, he is doomed to fail.

The odds of picking the gift that says “I love you” in the way the recipient of that gift wants these tender words to be said is actually zero.

Of course one could just go with the boring roses and chocolates but research has shown that what every person who truly wants to be loved values quality long-term communication above all.

That makes it really easy to find the perfect way to say “I love you” this time before the regulators end the problem forever next year.

What guarantees perfect communication more than a flagship phone on just the right Tier 1 carrier?

You already know whether the object of your affections is an Androidian or iOSian.  You also know where your beloved will roam when away from you so carrier choice is easy.

For the extremely brave, the risk takers who will take any chance to cuts costs, and for those who know the current beloved is not the one but are uncomfortable saying that directly, there is an inexpensive alternative.  A gently used Moto E that might pass FED on reactivation and a coupon for free activation on the CellNUVO is the way to go.

Are there better options?

https://youtu.be/_UveXP9lu4o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day

http://www.onthisday.com/events/february/14

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/13/valentines-day-bloody-history_n_4768652.html

arrynrobjamieliheandteeVoIPFanRPakaLTDbackupIsamorphLinda_S

Comments

• Scam industries abound.....   The wedding industry, the death (funeral) industry - Look up 'natural burial' vs. embalming..     The entire diamond industry is basically a lie.  Worst investment you can make are 'everyday' diamonds.   Heck, all 'god-related' industries from organized church to the company printing Christmas paper is just making it all up.          

It is incredibly hard to make people understand this, no less.   Few really want to know the reality around them.      Sorry, I am not trying to be a downer, but you bring up a very sore subject for me (man made 'holidays') that people flock to fill in an expectation.    
    akaLTDIsamorpholdbooks1VoIPFanRPLinda_S
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    Far too many are content living in the Matrix instead of reality.

And shows just how good people are at marketing. Implying you aren't a loving partner if you don't celebrate Valentine's Day with a gift of some sort. Or you simply must "keep up with the Joneses" or else you'll be seen as a failure, not as wealthy, not as happy or whatever. Or that everyone must do and spend as much as possible to prevent signs of aging because no one will want you if you look old or "ugly". Make-up to me is another money pit. What's wrong with looking natural? Once all the make up is removed is that person then less attractive & not worthy of love?

Appearances are everything anymore. But mean nothing.
    oldbooks1VoIPFanRPIsamorph
  • Darn. I wish I had read through this thread before I had purchased a new Porsche as a Valentine's Day gift for my wife. Oh well, things will be different next year.

While awaiting execution he cured the blindness of a jailor’s daughter and  before the execution reportedly sent her a note “from your Valentine.”  *** I hope that is all he did. :o
    oldbooks1VoIPFanRPExtraterrestrial_Zoologist
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    Isamorph:
    Darn. I wish I had read through this thread before I had purchased a new Porsche as a Valentine's Day gift for my wife.

If your wife is stuck in the Matrix and blinded by marketing hype then you'll be glad you remembered her on Valentine's day. Otherwise you might be the one awaiting execution. :o

Only those that live in reality & ignore marketing hype would not be expecting a gift. 
    oldbooks1VoIPFanRPIsamorph
  • oldbooks1oldbooks1 Champion 174

akaLTD:
    Only those that live in reality & ignore marketing hype would not be expecting a gift. 

Good to know that I live in reality.

On the other hand, I have to wonder if not expecting a gift is a defense mechanism I employ to prevent the disappointment that would result from expecting a gift and not receiving one.

Normally I would discuss this with my therapist but I canceled today's session because I could not decide if it would be appropriate to bring along a token gift or not.
    Linda_SarrynrobIsamorph
  • Isamorph:
    Darn. I wish I had read through this thread before I had purchased a new Porsche as a Valentine's Day gift for my wife

I was able to return the Porsche just in time and decided to give my wife a copy "One-Dimensional Man"   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-Dimensional_Man  instead.

Not much has changed in the past 50+ years.
     :) 
    oldbooks1Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
    Isamorph:
    "One-Dimensional Man"

One of the greatest books of all time--always loved it.

Nice to see the reappearance of self-referential posts of the forum.  They become particularly interesting when the nesting level exceeds 5.

If your wife has not already opened the thoughtful gift you might want to have a quick look at another book (apparently the inspirational oeuvre behind the celebrated 24 General Rules) by an a more famous author, The Trial (Franz Kafka) since it may soon be quite relevant to your situation.
    Isamorph
  • oldbooks1:
    One of the greatest books of all time--always loved it.

Nice to see the reappearance of self-referential posts of the forum.  They become particularly interesting when the nesting level exceeds 5.

If your wife has not already opened the thoughtful gift you might want to have a quick look at another book (apparently the inspirational oeuvre behind the celebrated 24 General Rules) by an a more famous author, The Trial (Franz Kafka) since it may soon be quite relevant to your situation.

Many, many years ago, I was fortunate to be in a small seminar led by the author of "one-Dimensional Man". Unfortunately, I guess, the subject of Valentine's Day did not arise.

"The Trial"will have to be enjoyed another day, perhaps it will make good reading during waiting times at my wife's upcoming Jury duty service.

Isamorph:
    perhaps it will make good reading during waiting times at my wife's upcoming Jury duty service

This may be a wild conjecture, but if you are actually able to have such free time (clearly assuming that replacing the Porche with the book was a survivable event) then I would suggest something in a lighter vein.

Perhaps, Razor Girl or if you are in a more cerebral mood, Dance, Dance, Dance, which you might kindly then explain to me because  I cannot make head nor tail of it. :)

Isamorph:
    I was fortunate to be in a small seminar led by the author of "one-Dimensional Man".

That is something I would have enjoyed but probably not really have been able to fully understand.
    Isamorph
  • alsals Pro 11
    OK   consider this off topic within thread. :)
     Please enter best or worst  ever valentines gift  or story.
    Mine was receiving a Valentines day gift of  pair of work gloves from my spouse, so that I would not callous my hands,  while pulling the anchor, and not have soft hands for my spouses daily massage. :)
    oldbooks1IsamorphExtraterrestrial_Zoologist
  • als:
    Mine was receiving a Valentines day gift of  pair of work gloves from my spouse, so that I would not callous my hands,  while pulling the anchor, and not have soft hands for my spouses daily massage.

All hands on deck, indeed, as they say.  :)

alsoldbooks1Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
  • as long as we're on the topic... my relevant pet peeve is the greeting card industry and its absolutely ridiculous prices for basically nothing, a little bit of colored paper, ink, glitter perhaps, and an all-to-precious message probably written by a minimum wage recent college grad -- for this the price tag is $5-10 or more. Looking around at ValDay cards this year, yes the ones that appear to have the need WAF (wife acceptance factor) were a minimum of $7 with many at $10. A few years ago the same cards were perhaps $3, already ludicrous, but with 300% inflation over a few years, it is totally outrageous.

I guess its obvious why the Asian producers cannot take over and provide competition in this market. Any one know if Brits (or Aussies or Kiwis) pay $10 for a stupid card? Something has to be done about this...
    oldbooks1Isamorph
    dantso:
    this year, yes the ones that appear to have the need WAF (wife acceptance factor) were a minimum of $7 with many at $10.

I see your point here.

Just wondering if the issue is the card makers are charging too much or if "wives" are now setting higher standards? :)

dantso:
    Something has to be done about this...

It all comes down to tradeoffs:

Is it better to save a few dollars and risk the wrath of She Who Must Be Obeyed (Rumpole of the Bailey) eliminate that risk and fume at the check out counter at your Hallmark store? :p
    Isamorph
  • alsals Pro 11
    A must read!  thanks for reminding us of this grand tale
    Wikipdeia "She
    —subtitled A History of Adventure—is a novel by H. Rider Haggard (1856–1925), first serialised in The Graphic magazine from October 1886 to January 1887. She is one of the classics of imaginative literature, and one of the best-selling books of all time, with somewhere between 83 million[1][unreliable source?] and 100 million copies sold in 44 different languages as of 2013.[2][unreliable source?She was extraordinarily popular upon its release and has never been out of print. According to literary historian Andrew M. Stauffer, "She has always been Rider Haggard's most popular and influential novel, challenged only by King Solomon's Mines in this regard"."
  • IsamorphIsamorph MVP 27
    edited February 14
    dantso:
    Any one know if Brits (or Aussies or Kiwis) pay $10 for a stupid card?

I don't know about greeting cards, but I do know that a tube of tennis balls that goes for about $3 in the US will go for about $10 for the exact same tube in Australia or Britain due to crazy tariffs and value added tax, provided this is still the case.I have actually purchased some items from the UK for much less than I could purchase them for in the US because the value added tax only applies if sold to resident of Uk. Ceteris paribus, greeting cards would be more for residents of the UK and Aussie land.

Extraterrestrial_Zoologist
    Isamorph:
    greeting cards

It seems the UK is a decade ahead of the rest of the world in terms of design.

http://www.greetingcardassociation.org.uk/resources/for-publishers/the-market/facts-and-figures

Isamorph
  • People believe that February 14 is the one day throughout the year that should be devoted entirely to true expressions of heartfelt love for the object of one’s affection.

Not all people----www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/pakistan-court-ban-of-valentines-day-celebrations-raises-many-contradictions/2017/02/14/02f790e0-f2be-11e6-9fb1-2d8f3fc9c0ed_story.html?utm_term=.8fb5cfda81f6   :)
    Isamorph:
    Not all people

I actually also just saw the story a few minutes ago.

In essence the implication of the court's decision is indeed to confirm the view that the origin of the tradition is grounded in a decision made by a religious leader some 1500 years ago.

It most certainly was never a global non-denominational celebration of "love."

On the contrary it is the commercialization of a tradition that arose that was inspired by a particular sectarian group.

Thus indeed it is a complete "marketing gimmick" that exists purely for commercial purposes.

Good luck explaining that to a "beloved" SO who holds a different view of its meaning and significance. :p

Isamorph
  • oldbooks1:
    It seems the UK is a decade ahead of the rest of the world in terms of design.

No wonder Brexit happened. Would be immigrants don't comprehend the British greeting card obsession. No greetings for them.

oldbooks1alsExtraterrestrial_Zoologist
    Isamorph:
    Brexit

Did you see the interview with the British voter who was terribly upset about the outcome of the referendum?

He actually voted in favor of Brexit but only because he felt it would not pass!

Democracy at its finest. :p

Voters get the outcome they deserve.

• IsamorphIsamorph MVP 27
    edited February 15
    oldbooks1:
    Good luck explaining that to a "beloved" SO who holds a different view of its meaning and significance

My "beloved" understood completely when I explained that celebrating Valentine's Day was immoral and indecent to large numbers of other people in the world, She's very cosmopolitan, and tries not to be one dimensional. :)

Isamorph:
    My "beloved" understood completely

Congratulations!
    You choose wisely and should count your blessings.

Isamorph
  • alsals Pro 11
    edited February 15
    @Isamorph  multi  dimensional people understand the limitations of one dimensional folks.
     And  may  the wrath of Khan be upon you if you don't appreciate your loved ones  today and everyday!  :) 
  • oldbooks1:
    He actually voted in favor of Brexit but only because he felt it would not pass!

Rational behavior at it's finest.

oldbooks1:
    You choose wisely and should count your blessings.

Just dumb luck or fate.

als:
    may  the wrath of Khan be upon you if you don't appreciate your loved ones  today and everyday!

Best comment I have ever seen on the forum!.

Chapeau.

alsIsamorph