Mad Avatar - If VM is not available as an add-on, how do I turn off the VM greeting?

I have Mad Avatar. Voice Mail is not available as an add-on and I have no interest in having voice mail. However, unanswered calls go to a VM greeting "You have reached the VM box of .xxx xxx xxxx."

If VM is not an option, why is there even a VM greeting (which I didn't create)?

How do I turn it off? Phone should just give busy signal when not answered instead of going to VM (which is supposed to exist).

Comments

• (which is supposed to exist). = (which is supposed to NOT exist).
  • JandAJandA MVP 20
    If voicemail is not an Add On for Mad Avatar then Mad Avatar must include voicemail at no charge.  Older Mad plans included voicemail for free. Some would appreciate having voicemail for free while others don't want it and want to disable it.  My understanding is that it is not possible to disable Sprint voicemail from an MVNO account which is what we have with the Mad plans.  So, I think your best bet is to set your greeting to let folks know that you don't want them to leave a message.
    Conic_EllipsesmurfetteVoIPFanRP
  • KentEKentE Moderator 160
    Mad Avatar does include standard Sprint voicemail.
    At this point, it is not possible to disable that voicemail.
    The old voicemail controls in the dashboard do not function on Mad lines.
    @JandA 's suggestion seems like a good one to me.
    VoIPFanRP
  • I wonder if there is a way to set the voicemail to 'announcement only' mode, so that it doesn't allow the caller to leave a message?
  • kaljorkaljor Novice 1
    I have a related question. I'm also on Avatar so I have voice mail, but my problem is that I can't access it.  It says my PIN is wrong. I'm 100% sure it's not. I have used the same PIN for quite a long time now,  and I confirmed it by looking at my voicemail settings in my Dashboard.  (I know those settings will no longer function, but they do show the PIN I had selected.)  So this changeover to Sprint voicemail must have changed something. I've tried all the common suggestions, phone #, SS #, 1234 etc, but no good.  I've Googled this a lot, and since we as an MVNO have no relationship with Sprint, I'm really puzzled about how to proceed.  Do you think the best idea is to open a support ticket asking if Ring Plus can reset my voicemail?
  • KentEKentE Moderator 160
    kaljor:
    I confirmed it by looking at my voicemail settings in my Dashboard.  (I know those settings will no longer function, but they do show the PIN I had selected.)
    Just to be sure we've "on the same page".   Did you intentionally change your Mad/Sprint voicemail PIN to the old PIN you used for legacy voicemail?   The old dashboard setting would not automatically transfer to the Mad/Sprint voicemail system. 
    Perhaps it's still on the default access PIN?

• smurfettesmurfette Novice 3
    edited January 11
    JandA:
    If voicemail is not an Add On for Mad Avatar then Mad Avatar must include voicemail at no charge.  Older Mad plans included voicemail for free. Some would appreciate having voicemail for free while others don't want it and want to disable it.  My understanding is that it is not possible to disable Sprint voicemail from an MVNO account which is what we have with the Mad plans.  So, I think your best bet is to set your greeting to let folks know that you don't want them to leave a message.

Ah, thanks. Voicemail being greyed out on the dashboard threw me off making me think there's no VM. So, right, there's VM but accessible only via phone - Settings do not include option to disable. Can only set greeting.

Since there's no option to disable, I just  set a greeting. Tested it by calling my number and leaving a message. The downside is that there's no SMS notification sent that someone left VM. So, I suppose I'll just have to check VM every time I have a missed call.
    Sam432VoIPFanRP
  • kaljorkaljor Novice 1

KentE:
    Did you intentionally change your Mad/Sprint voicemail PIN to the old PIN you used for legacy voicemail? 

No, I haven't changed anything since the Avatar plan began.  I did have the common issue of the phone number not being recognized, and I used the double ESN swap method to get it working. After that, I did call the number to make sure the voicemail was working, but hung up as soon as the greeting began.  It was only a few days ago that I got my first voicemail message and discovered the problem.  Maybe the ESN swap solution caused the issue.

• MelodieMelodie Novice 3
    I'm on Mad Avatar and the couple of times I got VM, I always had an alert pop up on my phone from the Voicemail app. It works pretty well, never missed it.

May be more of an issue for people not using smartphones, I imagine.
  • Conic_Ellipse:
    I wonder if there is a way to set the voicemail to 'announcement only' mode, so that it doesn't allow the caller to leave a message?

Unless it has an unlimited message space, one way to disable most Voice Mail is to call from a different number and leave enough voicemails to max out the inbox. Happens on my TracFone although it's more because the limit is only 20 voicemails and I routinely get enough to fill it up without trying.

• akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 99
    edited January 12
    smurfette:
    The downside is that there's no SMS notification sent that someone left VM.
    Yeah I miss the SMS notification too.

But you should get notification of new voicemail. Check to make sure you're not blocking notifications for voicemail in phone settings. Several have reported that was their problem with not getting notifications.

Is the Visual Voicemail (or might just say Voicemail) app on your phone disabled?

• akaLTD:
    Yeah I miss the SMS notification too.

But you should get notification of new voicemail. Check to make sure you're not blocking notifications for voicemail in phone settings. Several have reported that was their problem with not getting notifications.

Is the Visual Voicemail (or might just say Voicemail) app on your phone disabled?

I found a work around that suits my habits.
    I swapped with a family member (my Mad Avatar for his Mad Plum. I'm the one who manages our RP numbers anyway.) Because with Mad Avatar, the call goes to Mad Avatar VM after 5 rings. This means I don't get an audio e-file of an important VM. I use Google Voice with Mad Plum. Because Mad Plum doesn't have any VM, call goes to GV VM after 5 rings. So, I get notification of VM and I also get an audio e-file of the VM.
    akaLTD
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 99
    smurfette:
    I use Google Voice with Mad Plum. Because Mad Plum doesn't have any VM, call goes to GV VM after 5 rings. So, I get notification of VM and I also get an audio e-file of the VM.

Glad you was able to find a suitable workaround. I had read others having similar problem with GV & not wanting R+/Sprint voicemail. Unfortunately, some plans included for free. I'm glad R+ had made it an option for many of the newer plans .. I think. Been kind of hard to keep up with which plans provided it free or offered it as option.