$17.19        January 10, 2017 at 5:58pm EST
    $17.19        January 10, 2017 at 5:36pm EST
    $17.19        January 10, 2017 at 5:18pm EST
    $17.19        January 10, 2017 at 4:33pm EST
    $17.19        January 10, 2017 at 4:20pm EST
    $17.19        January 10, 2017 at 3:44pm EST
    $17.19        January 10, 2017 at 3:13pm EST
    $17.19        January 10, 2017 at 2:58pm EST

What the devil is going on with ring+ I am in some deep trouble now since they took all this plus each withdraw was charged 30.00 in OD charges for each hit.This account has never gone over and its been on low usage even when it was on the BLT plan it hardly saw 1.2 GB in a month and not it just went nuts over last night.I have almost everything shut off and disabled hangouts youtube and the phone is set to below the monthly data allowance just in case.Its on home wifi 99% of the time.I now have a huge problem as this has cost me over 600.00$ plus they took the 38.00 top up that was in the account , 

Mad Avatar Upgrade

$-72.50

6 Days Left / 30 Days20% Left
80% Used
0% Over
151 / 275 Minutes46% Left
54% Used
0% Over
0 / 500 VoIP Minutes100% Left
0% Used
0% Over
6.06 GB / 755 MB5.33 GB Over
13% Used
87% Over
194 / 275 Texts30% Left
70% Used
0% Over
4 / 275 MMS Messages99% Left

I am in deep over my head as my 2 car payment are coming in and I can't fix till next week plus all the Christmas bills.I can't do this and something went nuts with here with ring+ as I said this account has never been over 1.3 GB in a month even when it had 6GB every month.I need this money back and I doubt I will see the 20x30.00 overdraft charges I got hit with.

Comments

• All that I can warn you is if you dispute the transaction on your credit card expect that your RingPlus account will be closed.  Companies generally choose to stop doing business with people who dispute charges, even when its a legitimate problem.

So it looks like you went over by 5 gigs. Start by tracking down why your phone is using data.  There are some threads of people having similar problems with specific older phones.

VoIPFanRP201701
  • aleo101aleo101 MVP 21
    edited January 11
    I can't even begin to address your problem, however, to anyone reading this, lets use this as a cautionary tale for the future.   DO NOT link your Visa/MC DEBIT CARD (check-card)  to any account that has an automatic debit policy.   The banks will/can trigger over-draft fees like crazy (I've seen it before)- and the company that is trying to charge your card will just keep pinging it, causing multiple over-drafts.

To the OP-  you can petition your bank and ask for mercy and if this was the first/only time, they should work with you to waive many of those over-draft charges.  If you have a local bank office, stop in, sit down with the bank manager.  Don't do it over the phone.
    VoIPFanRP201701
  • Larry1Larry1 MVP 33
    edited January 11
    Ouch.  A regular credit card would have shut this down for you; it would have suspended your account of course and possibly terminated it but still would have been less expensive. Banks love overdraft fees so their computers are programmed to do you a "favor" letting these charges go through.  As mentioned a person from the bank should waive these for you.
    My guess is that there was data that Sprint didn't report you used while on BLT that was finally sent in.  10¢ overages can add up to some large charges pretty quickly.
    Send an e-mail to ethics@ringplus.net  and you might want to open a support ticket for them to cross reference.  Be sure to let them know what your device reports as the data usage for the period of time you were billed yesterday.  
    VoIPFanRP201701
  • edited January 11
    I have the phone locked/set it to use only 700 mb of data and that's worked so far and always on home wifi.I have almost everything disabled on the phone youtube, hangouts, Spotify and there's no facebook installed. I have cut off just about everything and shut down anything I can think would use any data and all updates are off and nothing updated.I was also in bed and the phone was off on the charger so this has to be ring+ billing ?

Plus the card I had used to pay for the top up I thought was my old card number from the card that expired as I had a new one with a chip in it now. I thought I never had it listed on here so duh I messed that up as it should of been the pre-paid card I always use to correct my life from this ever happening but I forgot to check the card.
  • bkoopmanbkoopman Pro 13
    edited January 11
    So you were charged 5.3GB in overage charges? Maybe that Google Photo went berzerk and started uploading all of your photos? It has happened before.
    Conic_EllipseVoIPFanRPakaLTD201701
  • Wireless_for_None:
    plus each withdraw was charged 30.00 in OD charges for each hit.

Disable courtesy overdraft on your checking account.
    Conic_EllipseWidsithNetcubakaLTD
  • Larry1:
    so their computers are programmed to do you a "favor" letting these charges go through.

Not anymore. The bank account holder must now give prior permission to allow such charges to go through in the future.
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 119
    @Wireless_for_All ;

If it hasn't alread been done, please see my profile to request a ping, & for this case, ignore the 5-business days criteria.
  • ChelleChelle Moderator 119
    bkoopman:
    Maybe that Google Photo went berzerk

I'm so afraid of Google Photo that I periodically install it, backup my photos, and then promptly uninstall it, again.
    VoIPFanRP
    I know that Freemium-based companies rely on overages in their business model, but I'd rather have my account get frozen if more than $50 in overages were billed in a single day-- since that would almost certainly mean that something wasn't right.  I realize that it couldn't be $0, since companies need to be able to cover overage costs, but I'd like to see a reasonable limit that protects the company and the consumer.

My granddaughter's room is in the basement of their house, on the fringe of WiFi, and WiFi-assist on her iPhone caused a $1000 cellphone bill to show up at their house (not from RingPlus).  Her family had to cancel their cellphone service while they gradually get the bill paid for.

You need to check your data and see what the offending app was.  And set data limits, on your phone. 

If it's an Android phone you can use Opera Max as your gatekeeper and restrict mobile data access on an app by app basis.
    VoIPFanRPakaLTD201701
  • Chelle:
    and WiFi-assist on her iPhone caused a $1000 cellphone bill to show up at their house (not from RingPlus).

Why did you not have your own granddaughter on a RingPlus plan with Bottomless 2G ??
  • bkoopman:
    So you were charged 5.3GB in overage charges? Maybe that Google Photo went berzerk and started uploading all of your photos? It has happened before.

I don't use it never have nor will

You_Go_Karl:
    Disable courtesy overdraft on your checking account.

I only have it in case of some stupid emg but we never do use it and this was the first time this has ever happened to me.I don't use all my data plus this phone was on the charger

• Wireless_for_All:
    I only have it in case of some stupid emg but we never do use it

credit cards are for stupid emergencies, not debit cards and checking accounts.
    edited January 11
    @Wireless_for_All ;;

Thanks for your ping request on my wall, but if you want me to ping R+ with your ticket #, please see my profile comment about pings, except in your case, please ignore the 5-business days criteria.
    You_Go_Karl:
    Why did you not have your own granddaughter on a RingPlus plan with Bottomless 2G ??

They're coming to RingPlus as soon as their Sprint phones are off contract. :)

• You_Go_Karl:
    credit cards are for stupid emergencies, not debit cards and checking accounts.
    courtesy overdraft on your checking account was what we were talking about as an emg on the checking as in life u never know till u know...

jamielih:
    Thanks for your ping request on my wall, but if you want me to ping R+ with your ticket #, please see my profile comment about pings, except in your case, please ignore the 5-business days criteria.

OK Will redo

• Courtesy overdraft is taking a very expensive short-term loan on your checking account.
    Why allow that ?
    You_Go_Karl:
    Courtesy overdraft is taking a very expensive short-term loan on your checking account.
    Why allow that ?

Maybe stupid emergencies, for when you need that short-term loan, because your payment from that checking account to your credit card causes the courtesy overdraft. But, very expensive indeed. If it weren't an emergency, one would have to balace the APR / late payment fee of the credit card vs. the APR of that short-term loan to decide which makes more sense..
    Wireless_for_All:

OK Will redo

Sorry, but consider reading my wall comment more closely.
  • KentEKentE Moderator 160
    @Wireless_for_All
      I have sent a quick URGENT request to Support to look at this for you, including your ticket # and a link to this thread..

I might suggest that you follow up with @jamielih's standard procedure on his profile page, since jamielih  is astonishingly efficient at tracking such matters.

In case I've missed it above-- if you haven't already done so, please go to your dashboard and disable data on this line.   If something in your device is responsible, this is the assured message of shutting it down.
  • I know the mods will get you taken care of. They're good like that.

I don't want to turn your misfortune into an object lesson, so I'll just say that this is the precise reason all of my family are on some type of bottomless plan. (We're all on Mad Snow with unlimited data ... just in case. The $2.99 per month doesn't seem like much anyway, but the amount is especially tiny compared to all of the card charges and overdraft fees!)
  • jamielih:
    Maybe stupid emergencies, for when you need that short-term loan, because your payment from that checking account to your credit card causes the courtesy overdraft. But, very expensive indeed. If it weren't an emergency, one would have to balace the APR / late payment fee of the credit card vs. the APR of that short-term loan to decide which makes more sense..
     Like I said I paid for the top up 38.00 and left the card as it was old and expiring in a few days but I messed up and used the wrong card.I forgot since I thought the card was dead and here it wasn't and this happened. I have a Blue Bird pre paid card I use for online but once I forgot about this card here and it bit me hard and as for the overdraft we keep it for just in case on the checking but I will never use that card for anything again online..CC or blue bird always been best and will stick to those methods.
    jamielih:
    Wireless_for_All:

OK Will redo

I see that KentE has pinged support for you, so your ping should be taken care of. Good luck.
  • jamielih:
    sorry at first I was on the phone and typing on your wall.I saw it was gone and I redid it I thought I did it right but I am a little shaky on good thought right now and will fix it again if I messed it up.
    Thank You Very Much
    @Wireless_for_All ;

You still haven't old us which app used all that data.  We'd all like to take preventive measures if any of us are using the offending app.

Thanks!
    Conic_EllipseNetcubVoIPFanRPakaLTD201701
This discussion has been closed.