Lost my sim - Help Needed in activating new sim please :(

Hi guys, I need your help please. I had got a Boost Mobile Moto E prepaid smartphone back in March last year and activated it on ringplus. I am currently on the free Mad Avatar Upgrade plan.
I recently lost my sim card (due to the stupidity and carelessness of a friend) and now need your help in activation. I went to a Boost store and got a new sim but now how do I activate the new sim on to my existing device? I tried searching these threads and some suggested a placeholder or swapping. I honestly have no clue on how to do it. I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out.

Comments

• ChuckChuck Pro 14
    edited January 11
    Boost gave you free SIM? I request your personal pictures to confirm the story.
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 119
    @Vimal

You do indeed need to swap a placeholder into your line, thereby swapping out the Moto E. Then, swap the Moto E back in, ensuring to enter the ICCID # of the new SIM card.
    VoIPFanRP
  • More than any other reason, this is why I hate the way the Sprint network operates.  With every other carrier, all you need to do is get a new SIM and pop it into your phone, including the one that used the lost SIM.  No need to swap ESNs when switching phones on any other carrier.
    Sanctimonious_Ape
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 99
    edited January 11
    byeecanon:
    More than any other reason, this is why I hate the way the Sprint network operates.  With every other carrier, all you need to do is get a new SIM and pop it into your phone, including the one that used the lost SIM.  No need to swap ESNs when switching phones on any other carrier.

But isn't the downside that if someone finds your lost SIM they have all your personal info?

edit: to include quote to make it more clear what I was responding to.
  • eric12eric12 Novice 1
    akaLTD:
    But isn't the downside that if someone finds your lost SIM they have all your personal info?

Not on CDMA networks (Sprint/Verizon), I believe. Only GSM keeps data.

edited January 11
    eric12:

Not on CDMA networks (Sprint/Verizon), I believe. Only GSM keeps data.

Yes I was referring to GSM network SIM's.

I was actually replying to this post but failed to quote it. I'll edit my previous comment to include that to make it clear. That's what I get when I don't quote. lol 

byeecanon:
    More than any other reason, this is why I hate the way the Sprint network operates.  With every other carrier, all you need to do is get a new SIM and pop it into your phone, including the one that used the lost SIM.  No need to swap ESNs when switching phones on any other carrier.

• akaLTD:

It's been quite some time since I had a GSM phone, but as I (perhaps incorrectly) recall: 

1. Storing data on the SIM instead of the phone itself was optional. 

2. You could require a PIN be entered before the SIM would work. I have no idea how secure that actually is. 

These statements are based upon my memories of my old Nokia E71 (LOVED that phone). 

• byeecanon:
    More than any other reason, this is why I hate the way the Sprint network operates.

Verizon operates the same way. 

Sanctimonious_Ape:
    1. Storing data on the SIM instead of the phone itself was optional. 

2. You could require a PIN be entered before the SIM would work. I have no idea how secure that actually is. 
    I've never used GSM so I really have no clue what is really stored on their SIMs..  just read they do contain some personal account info.

I'm not sure how secure that is either. If it gives unlimited tries to "guess' the pin then I imagine it wouldn't be hard to crack it. . especially if it's a short one. If it erases the info after so many tries then it might be fairly secure. Also, not knowing what is actually stored on a GSM SIM someone might not waste their time or effort for all I know. But someone can find out a lot about someone just with name, address, email.

• VoIPFanRPVoIPFanRP All Star 59
    akaLTD:
    If it gives unlimited tries to "guess' the pin then I imagine it wouldn't be hard to crack it.

I seem to recall 3 or 5 attempts before the SIM is locked.

SIM can be unlocked if you have the PUK.

If you're lucky, it's printed on the original sim card holder (and card can be located and/or notes can be found), otherwise, it requires contacting the service provider's customer service department.

VoIPFanRP:
    SIM can be unlocked if you have the PUK.

Only 3-5 tries would make it harder to crack the PIN. Can the PUK be cracked though?

akaLTD:
    Only 3-5 tries would make it harder to crack the PIN. Can the PUK be cracked though?

I seem to recall 10 chances to enter the correct PUK (4-8 digits) before the SIM was permanently locked ("fried") and a replacement SIM was needed to restore service.

VoIPFanRP:
    I seem to recall 10 chances to enter the correct PUK (4-8 digits) before the SIM was permanently locked ("fried")
    Thanks .. good to know. Not that I plan on trying to crack one. lol  Just if I should ever move to GSM I probably would add PIN to my SIM for added security.

I don't see the point on CDMA SIM though.
  • @Sanctimonious_Ape

For more recent phones (anything after the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4) Verizon is not quite as bad as Sprint, although not as good as GSM.  With Verizon, you can activate a new phone without contacting customer service by popping in an active Verizon SIM and then doing a hard reset on the phone.  You can't substitute another Verizon SIM on that phone without doing another hard reset but you can freely substitute a GSM SIM if the phone is unlocked.  I freely do that with the Verizon iPhone 6 that work gave me.  Also, you can pull the Verizon SIM out of the phone you just activated and use it on another Verizon phone that's been activated on that SIM without the need to contact customer support.  So, with the Verizon SIM that originally came with my work iPhone 6, I sometimes pull that out and use it instead on a personal iPhone 5s.

In sum, Verizon makes it relatively easy to activate a new phone and also allows you to use the same SIM card on multiple Verizon phones.  Their one drawback is that you cannot use different Verizon accounts/SIMs on the same phone at the same time.  With any carrier associated with Sprint, however, a SIM card that's activated on a phone is forever tied to that phone.  I REALLY HATE THAT!  Even moreso than the usual complaint that Sprint's network coverage is poor (I happen to live in a high density urban area with good coverage from all four networks)

• VimalVimal Novice 0
    guys..thanks a lot for replying...the boost store charged me $20 for the sim :( ... how do I add a placeholder? do you mean activating a new line??
  • VimalVimal Novice 0
    I apologize in advance if this is like spoon feeding but could you please tell the exact sequence of steps I should do to sort out my problem?
    You need a placeholder, which is another "phone" / "device" with an ESN / MEID / IMEI number. I put them in quotes, because you really only need the number of the device whether or not you actually have the physical device. Anyway, you need to swap in that placeholder using its ESN number. Once swapped, replace your Moto E with new SIM. Then swap in Moto E with new SIM, ensuring that you enter the ICCID # when you're swapping.
    Vimal
    @Vimal,

Once you have the place holder MEID/ESN/MEID :

Vimal
  • gamescangamescan All Star 55
    akaLTD:

akaLTD:
    Yes I was referring to GSM network SIM's.
    They would be able to view the phone number associated with the SIM.

If it was still active, they could make calls and use data (and check your VM if you didn't password protect it), but a lost SIM is immediately invalidated when a new one is activated.

A random phone number isn't much in the way of personal info when it is tied to nothing more than a SIM.

• VimalVimal Novice 0
    guys...i got a boost mobile alcatel dawn no contract phone for the placeholder and tried to swap it by entering the ESN but it failed...i then put the ESN through the ring plus device check tool and it said an error message...realizing that i should have maybe got an unlocked phone rather than a no-contract one, i returned the first one and just now got an unlocked Blu Z3 phone from walmart and this one failed as well...the device check this time said "Hmm... We couldn't locate that MEID / ESN in the database. Please double check to be sure you entered the MEID / ESN correctly" as opposed to the failure message for the first device... this is getting frustrating for me :(... cursing my friend as i type this...please help ..what should i do now?? do you guys have any ESN which i can use?? or could you guide me to get a proper phone which could be used a valid placeholder? thanks in advance...

Vimal:
    .please help ..what should i do now?? do you guys have any ESN which i can use?? or could you guide me to get a proper phone which could be used a valid placeholder? thanks in advance...

https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/10994/anyone-need-a-meid-to-do-swaps#latest
    Vimal
  • VimalVimal Novice 0
    thanks a ton jamielih...i just placed a request in that thread...
  • VimalVimal Novice 0
    jamielih..thank you so much!! i thanked the guy in the other thread as well ..you guys rock.. I was able to successfully swap in the place holder and then swapped back my moto e with the new sim...now i am having trouble activating my moto e with the new sim...i tried following the steps under "Manual Provisioning" but the edit menu is not coming up (Dial ##MSL# -- your MSL can be found in the Accounts page of your Dashboard. Tap Edit)
  • VimalVimal Novice 0
    never mind! i followed the instructions provided by the ringplus support team when i first had this issue (that was before the placeholder swap) and this time it worked and i was able to make a test call also...once again thank you so much jamielih and the rest of you guys..you have been incredibly helpful...!!!
    VoIPFanRP
  • VimalVimal Novice 0
    guys...for some reason, i dont seem to get 4g..i am in currently in my house as i type this and i get pretty good 4g coverage here...i did find that this is also quite a common problem when you reprovision services...can you help me out please?