[RESOLVED] Swap Device failed

I have made multiple attempts on activating the new HTC phone I bought from RingPlus store but I kept on getting the authentication failed error. I followed the steps outlined in the Help section for HTC devices, the phone was able to download the update provision itself but it couldn't be activated. Please kindly help. 

Comments

• JandAJandA MVP 24
    You'll need to be more specific.  Are you trying to activate this new phone as a new line or swap it into an existing line.  If the later, what plan are you trying to swap into?  What is the exact error message you are getting?  Cut and paste the message, don't paraphrase it.
    spectacular-ruby-tartan-book
  • I was trying to swap the device.

The plan I am currently on is Mad New Year's 1. 

The error is:

There was a problem swapping your device.

If this new device is currently active on any carrier, it must be deactivated before swapping into your account.

• JandAJandA MVP 24
    spectacular-ruby-tartan-book:

The error is:

That is the "normal" error message that many folks are getting these days due to the buggy device swap tool.  You just need to keep trying until it works.  Be sure to triple check the MEID and ICCID numbers.  Use cut and paste to enter them so every attempt is identical.  Ignore the message that says "If you entered an ICCID, please try without the ICCID".  Be consistent and persistent.

• titetaniumtitetanium Moderator 77
    What does the BYOD checker say? Please report exactly what it says. It should return "can activate immediately" or "in use but can bring to RingPlus". 
    akaLTD
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    Did the phone come with a SIM .. if not did you buy one? Which SIM did you buy?
  • BYOD checkers showed:
    Congratulations, your device (Htc CPO SPP HTC 0PM92 DEVICE REC0PM92AS1) will work on RingPlus! You can sign up and activate your device immediately by registering below.

• @akaLTD: The phone does come with a sim.
  • After Provisioning, my phone shows:

SW version: 2.27.651.6
    More: Baseband, Kernel version, etc.
    PRI version: 1.70_003
    PRL version: 55054

Network:
    Operator name:
    HTC

Service state:
    In service

Roaming:
    Not roaming
    edited January 11
    @spectacular-ruby-tartan-book Ok... just wanted to verify that info. In that case follow JandA's advice couple comments back. As JandA said the swap tool is acting up & it may take several tries to get it to swap.

Double & triple check all numbers. Best to enter them into a document or somewhere so you can copy/paste them easier & less error prone than re-entering them since you may have to enter them several times.
    Try MEID HEX .. with ICCID number <-- since your device requires ICCID do NOT try without it
    Try MEID DEC .. again with ICCID
    Try IMEI .. again with ICCID

Another member suggested turning Airplane mode on, then back off & then trying swap. https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/130977/#Comment_130977

I'm trying to find another post that offers addition suggestions when I find it I'll update this post.

EDIT UPDATE: here's a great post by Kent that might helpful: https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/128547/#Comment_128547

spectacular-ruby-tartan-book:
    After Provisioning, my phone shows:
    So did you get it to swap? There's no point in provisioning until the swap is successful. You can verify this by making sure the ESN, MEID, ICCID, IMEI, etc on the Dashboard all match with the numbers on the phone your swapping into the line.

• I did finally get the phone swapped by trying multiple times consecutively within a tight time frame. So looks like the failures I saw earlier were indeed due to a faulty swap tool sw. Thank you all for jumping in and help me so promptly. I appreciate it. 
    Glad to hear the swap finally went through.

I'm not sure what happened to the swap tool that it got so buggy. In the past year I never saw this many problems with it .. the problems seem to start when everyone had to switch plans and juggled phones around. So not sure if it's just getting overloaded with so many accessing or what. Hope it gets resolved soon though.