How do I safely administer a line for someone else

Hi! Lots of folks here run lines for  other folks.
 I've got a line and phone I'd like to let someone else use.
What's the best way of going about this?
 Any advice/ suggestion would be welcome.
 I guess buying a prepaid card  and linking it to the account would be the first step, so that I can control top ups?
zanthrax54

Comments

• jamielihjamielih Moderator 119
    Just be careful that the actions of that someone does not cause the remaining lines in that account to come under R+ scrutiny.
    alsVoIPFanRP
  • alsals Novice 3
    jamielih:
    Just be careful that the actions of that someone does not cause the remaining lines in that account to come under R+ scrutiny.

Such as?   Can you be more specific as to what i need to consider?
     They would  use my  Mad  Thanks! Akula  Line.  Is there a no overage add on available? Can I still just shut off data on my dashboard?

I
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 119
    als:
     Such as?   Can you be more specific as to what i need to consider?

I can't be more specific, because I have no insight into how R+ takes adverse action against accounts & lines. I do know many have reported here on the forums about losing lines due to violations of the ToS, including the 1 outbound call rule, chargebacks, failed payments, etc. There are other rules, too, including those recently effective, such as Rules 20 - 22.
    VoIPFanRP
  • TxHookEmTxHookEm Novice 2
    All the ones I administer are now on Mad BBQ Surfing, Mad Building Block & Mad Plum. I added the .75 add on to stop all overages for MBB. The Mad Plum line I monitor weekly. The Mad BBQ I look at periodically because she is always on the phone talking -I'm not worried about her not making a 1 minute call, more so worried about her eating through the minutes because one day she fell asleep talking.
    alsChelleVoIPFanRP
  • KentEKentE Moderator 160
    I don't believe there is any "safety" data option for that plan.
    Careful monitoring, and a careful discussion with the user, would be a good idea.

As far as "under R+ scrutiny", it is possible that RP has the ability to see lines that were previously linked to a common CC, or to a common user, and that RP may consider that link to continue even when the user does not assume the lines are still linked in some manner.  This capability seems necessary for a good fraud protection program, and is probably of little concern to those who are careful and responsible with their lines.

You might want to consider the possibility of using RP Samara to both allow the new user to self-monitor the line, in association with continuing monitoring by you.  I have done this when providing a line for a teen, since it didn't seem reasonable for me to expect self-moderation of data consumption if there was no method for feedback to the user about their consumption.
    alsVoIPFanRPakaLTD
  • alsals Novice 3
    Thanks!
     I don't think I'll have to worry about the outbound call rule :) ;
     I'd like to see a way to block 900 calls, we've already  had that issue in the past
     I'm thinking the unlimited calling will be ideal  and well used. I'd like to see them get the full benefit of the data available , thus my looking for the  no overage add on.
     Rules 20-22 are ,  a source of concern to me, I've read them over several times, Hopefully,  folks calling and texting  continually won't trigger those rules.
    We're not trying to game the system, we're just   wishing to facilitate  our  special folks, who have no budgeting abilities, be able to make calls throughout the month.

VoIPFanRP
  • mhhmhh MVP 26
    I don't think there is a safe way to admin a line without it being on its own separate account. Depends on how much you trust them.

Get full $$$ credit cards off the account. Use small $ virtual cards.
    alsVoIPFanRP
    mhh:
    Get full $$$ credit cards off the account. Use small $ virtual cards.
    This is a good 'control' mechanism, but possibly not a good way to avoid the ultimate necessity of being responsible for any charges incurred.  I imagine it might be useful in a line going into suspension before very large overages occur, although it seems that with delayed data reporting, it's still a risk.

alsVoIPFanRP
  • JandAJandA MVP 20
    edited January 10
    Not sure how accurate this is or if it even applies to us but Sprint (at least then) didn't allow 900 calls. https://community.sprint.com/t5/Customer-Service-Board/900-numbers/m-p/629593

Also, the FCC web site (https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/faqs-900-number-pay-call-services-and-fees) has some useful information.

My GUESS would be that if Sprint does not allow 900 calls then we would not be able to make them since all our calls are routed through Sprint.

In addition, since the FCC says "All fees and rates must be disclosed at the beginning of the call before any charges can be billed, and must be provided in all advertising."
    I would again GUESS that you could test my first guess without incurring any charges provided you hang up once the cost is disclosed.

alsVoIPFanRPakaLTD

JandA:
    I would again GUESS that you could test my first guess without incurring any charges
    Nice posterior coverage here!   (And useful information, too.) 

als
  • alsals Novice 3
    @JandA  Thanks  for taking the time to research  900 calls!
     I  also got as far as the FCC  page. 
     Before I   give my ringplus line to others  to use, I'd like to formally  request ringplus to block  outgoing 900 calls on my line..
     How do I do this?

• Are you adding a new line?  If so, i would suggest creating a new account using a specific email address JUST for this person, and use the prepaid card as you suggest.   Keep records on paper of the MSL and all information regarding the line, including email used to sign up and passwords.     
    Giving someone a phone you already have a number on, or that is inside your account of phones, is a matter of trust, and....something will go wrong...it always does.  Isolate your real account from this new account because it can come back to bite you.
    alsVoIPFanRP
  • JandAJandA MVP 20
    als:
    How do I do this?

Yeah, good luck with that :)  If you care to provide me with a link to a benign 900 service I'd be willing to attempt a call (using my wife's phone since she has more top up than I do ;) ) and report back if the call went through or was blocked by Sprint and, if it did go through, whether I was able to terminate the call before incurring any charges.  Obviously, if the later were the case that wouldn't help you since you couldn't make them hang up but I'm leaning towards Sprint blocking these.

• alsals Novice 3
    edited January 11
    aleo101:
    Are you adding a new line?  If so, i would suggest creating a new account using a specific email address JUST for this person, and use the prepaid card as you suggest.   Keep records on paper of the MSL and all information regarding the line, including email used to sign up and passwords.     
    Giving someone a phone you already have a number on, or that is inside your account of phones, is a matter of trust, and....something will go wrong...it always does.  Isolate your real account from this new account because it can come back to bite you.

Great suggestion!
     Can I accomplish the same thing by creating a new account for my self (  no free line  activations  available at the moment)and swapping out the credit   card on my old line to leave them with the unlimited talk and text on Mad thanks akula!
  • VoIPFanRPVoIPFanRP All Star 59

als:
    I guess buying a prepaid card  and linking it to the account would be the first step, so that I can control top ups?

I would suggest reading the FAQ about pre-paid debit cards that allow recurring billing (not all do).

KentE:
    You might want to consider the possibility of using RP Samara to both allow the new user to self-monitor the line, in association with continuing monitoring by you. 

:+1: 

I would also recommend upgrading to the premium version of RP Samara (assuming Android) on your smartphone.

The premium version allows multiple alerts per line, and setting thresholds/setpoints at 10% intervals may yield a "peace of mind" during the initial adaption period.  

RP Samara should be configured to update "every few hours", and please note that there is also delayed reporting on the MAD plans, but hopefully, the low thresholds/setpoints will give you enough time to cut off service before overages occur.

alsakaLTD
  • mhhmhh MVP 26
    als:
    Great suggestion!
     Can I accomplish the same thing by creating a new account for my self (  no free line  activations  available at the moment)and swapping out the credit   card on my old line to leave them with the unlimited talk and text on Mad thanks akula!

That should work. I would add that the credit card should be in their name only.

alsVoIPFanRP
  • mhhmhh MVP 26
    KentE:
    This is a good 'control' mechanism, but possibly not a good way to avoid the ultimate necessity of being responsible for any charges incurred.  I imagine it might be useful in a line going into suspension before very large overages occur, although it seems that with delayed data reporting, it's still a risk.
    I just meant to limit the risk. I would not advocate skipping out on legit charges from delayed reporting. With that stupid Google Photos app this is a real BIG risk.

alsVoIPFanRP
  • alsals Novice 3
    VoIPFanRP:

I would suggest reading the FAQ about pre-paid debit cards that allow recurring billing (not all do).

Thanks! Yes . ! have read the pertinent FAQ's
     apparently prepaid  bluebird amex works with ringplus,
    Can anyone confirm this?
  • mhhmhh MVP 26
    als:
    Can anyone confirm this?

I have heard it said the the Bluebird works, but no personal experience.

I have personally used a Walmart prepaid Mastercard to activate a line.

alsVoIPFanRPakaLTD
  • alsals Novice 3
    edited January 11
    JandA:
    a benign 900 service

C

@JandA:
    f you care to provide me with a link to a benign 900 service I'd be willing to attempt a call (using my wife's phone since she has more top up than I do ) and report back if the call went through or was blocked by Sprint

als. Thanks so much. for the offer.!
     I'm fearful that even having looked up  a 900 number on the internet  has opened me  up to all sorts of nasty virus attacks!
     Much less would I post/ pass on a number or a link that I might possibly think could do anyone one on  this forum damage.
    VoIPFanRP
  • VoIPFanRPVoIPFanRP All Star 59

mhh:
    als:
    Great suggestion!

That should work. I would add that the credit card should be in their name only.

als:
    Can anyone confirm this?

Apparently, per information in this topic:

Amex BlueBird requires a SSN since it's a reloadable card.

If I were trying to limit my liability, I would go to Amex BB site while the recipient of the phone is present, ask for the vital statistics that are needed for registering the card, swap the card into the line, and verify all is working before (s)he left my house.

als
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 99
    edited January 11
    Another thing to consider ... another user could change the password on a new account possibly preventing you from accessing the account if needed to monitor it or make changes for some reason. And if it's not your email address on that account you'd have to way to get the new password.

I guess it depends on the level of control you want over the account whether to use your email address on it or not.
    VoIPFanRP
  • alsals Novice 3
    akaLTD:
    Another thing to consider ... another user could change the password on a new account possibly preventing you from accessing the account if needed to monitor it or make changes for some reason. And if it's not your email address on that account you'd have to way to get the new password.

I guess it depends on the level of control you want over the account whether to use your email address on it or not.

Thanks!
     Yikes!
     I'd like zero risk to me and total benefit to the donated user of  my Thanks! Mad Akula Bot RewardPlan!

• PromozePromoze All Star 116
    edited January 11
    aleo101:
      If so, i would suggest creating a new account using a specific email address
    This is what I always recommend for new lines, specifically so they can be administered by only the user of the phone.  It makes it easy to pass off a line.

VoIPFanRP:
    Amex BlueBird requires a SSN since it's a reloadable card.
    Yep.  So did my Walmart Prepaid Mastercard.  Another trick you can do with a prepaid card is to use up the balance if you can't get it off the account that someone else is using.  I've got a negative balance on mine.
    VoIPFanRP
  • Over the holidays, I loaned out my BBQ Brisket line to my mom in the hopes of reclaiming it if/when the data speeds go back up.  She'll use at most 20 minutes and 50GB of data per month so I have no need to guard against overages.  So now, she has a free line instead of paying $10 every 90 days to H2O Wireless.  I have Media-5 Phone app to make outgoing calls on that line using a different phone to make sure I make the required 1 call every 60 days.
    als