VOIP minutes vs. cell minutes on Mad Plum

I got dinged for going over my regular cell minutes last month so I'm trying to figure out how to make sure I use VOIP minutes to prevent that. I've installed CsipSimple and the VOIP dialer. Is there a way to keep track of how many minutes have been charged to the two categories? I have Mad Plum, btw. I'm trying to figure out how to set up the configuration on the VOIP: always available, available on WiFi or only for outgoing. Looking at my last invoice it seems like I have a fairly equal mix of incoming and outgoing. Any suggestions or tips, please?? TIA

Comments

• mhhmhh MVP 30
    If your phone is Android you can install RP Samara to see the cell and VOIP call minutes separately until R+ fixes the dashboard for Mad Plum.

Keep in mind that ALL incoming calls are cell. SIP/VOIP/Fluidcall can only be used for outgoing calls. You might as well configure your SIP client to "only for outgoing" and not to listen for or answer incoming calls to save some battery.

Set the SIP client to use mobile data if you want to. Don't expect it to work well unless you have great LTE data. Also, don't expect it to work while you are moving and switching cells.

I prefer Zoiper.
    BeverlyVoIPFanRPakaLTD
  • Download rp samara app. Use for outgoing 
    BeverlyVoIPFanRP
  • markbmarkb Pro 5
    edited January 10
    It shows breakdown of voip and regular minutes. I also use wechat and textnow apps for free wifi calls
    Sam432
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 126
    To save on inbound minutes, after receiving a call, whenever reasonble to do so, ask the caller as soon as possible to hang up & wait for you to call back. Then, call the caller back with VoIP.
    BeverlyVoIPFanRPakaLTDSam432
  • BeverlyBeverly Novice 1
    Thanks, everyone! Your answers really helped!!

Is there a way to import my contacts on CsipSimple?
  • mhhmhh MVP 30
    Beverly:

Don't know, but Zoiper uses the phone contacts - one of the reasons I prefer it.

I have not spent much time learning all the ins and outs of CSIPSimple. Someone here probably knows.

akaLTD
    Thanks for the reply. I found out I could go to my contacts list to call someone and then the choice to use the cell minutes or VOIP was there. So that worked. Whew! 
    VoIPFanRP
  • mhhmhh MVP 30
    Beverly:
    Thanks for the reply. I found out I could go to my contacts list to call someone and then the choice to use the cell minutes or VOIP was there. So that worked. Whew! 

Yeah, I don't have my CSIPSimple setup to integrate with the native dialer. It messes up the hands free bluetooth in the car. Zoiper uses the phone contacts without doing that.

• I like zoiper.  Stays out of the way. Until you need it
  • Beverly:
    All my contacts are in  CSipsimple but I don't know how,  Open CSipsimple dial pad and at bottom right it says txt touch that and it brings up my contacts and gives me choice of texting or calling. My phone has google voice and Hangouts and is signed in and synced with Google so maybe that is where CSipsimple grabbed the contact list.

akaLTDSam432
  • mhhmhh MVP 30
    liberal-peach-waved-machine-155700:
    All my contacts are in  CSipsimple but I don't know how,  Open CSipsimple dial pad and at bottom right it says txt touch that and it brings up my contacts...
    Hey, thanks, that works. I did not know that. I had assumed that the txt button was for sending texts that R+ Fluidcall does not do. CSIPSimple isn't as bad as I thought it was. Still not a great UI.

• akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    All my contacts are in  CSipsimple but I don't know how,  Open CSipsimple dial pad and at bottom right it says txt touch that and it brings up my contacts and gives me choice of texting or calling.
    Wow thanks for that. I looked everywhere how to get contacts into CSipsimple. When I had it integrated with the dialer it wasn't a big deal but then when I added Google Voice they didn't all play nice together so had to change CSipsimple settings.
  • Why do people prefer Zoiper over Media-5 Phone?  I use the latter because I found that Zoiper sometimes messes up music streaming apps.
  • akaLTD:
    All my contacts are in  CSipsimple but I don't know how,  Open CSipsimple dial pad and at bottom right it says txt touch that and it brings up my contacts and gives me choice of texting or calling.
    Wow thanks for that. I looked everywhere how to get contacts into CSipsimple. When I had it integrated with the dialer it wasn't a big deal but then when I added Google Voice they didn't all play nice together so had to change CSipsimple settings. Also on CSIPsimple,  click on the star at the top middle of the dial pad.  And then choose "configure".  It will give you choices.  I chose "starred in Android" which then lists all your favorite contacts.

• VoIPFanRPVoIPFanRP All Star 73
    mhh:
    Still not a great UI.

It's functional with Android versions as old as 2.1, and with screen resolutions as low as 320x240. :)

Sam432
  • As with many concerns about R+ there are often several discussions about the same subject like dialers and VoIP. You might find some more answers here:

https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/10944/voip-configuration/

jamielih
  • ArrayArray Novice 0
    Is Ringplus dialer available now? where can I find it?
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 126
    Array:
    Is Ringplus dialer available now? where can I find it?

See https://www.google.com/search?q=site:social.ringplus.net+dialer
  • Mad plum now shows  cell and voip min now
    Yes, I just got an email from Ring+ that it's divided up into the two categories on our dashboard now. :)
  • should csip work with just data turned on or does it require wifi?
    if it requires wifi to be on, do I not have the ability to call if I am in an area without wifi coverage?
  • oldbooks1oldbooks1 Champion 174
    letterman-turquoise-satin-hat-443329:
    should csip work with just data turned on or does it require wifi?

It works on either and you can switch any time you wish between one and the other.

Generally, the best quality is over a strong wifi signal.
  • I only need it when I am out and abouit away from wifi and rfegardless of signal strength, my phone says connecting while the phone is ringing on the other end but when they answer, there is nothing but static. Never got it to work. Have it set for outgoing only and allow 3G. I have about given up. Is there anyhting you can suggest?
    Alternatively, I am trying to install Zoiper but don't know what settings to choose VOIP provider as R+ isn't in the list...
  • oldbooks1oldbooks1 Champion 174
    letterman-turquoise-satin-hat-443329:
    Have it set for outgoing only and allow 3G

Using VOIP over cellular can be a hit or miss affair.  If you have a very strong and stable signal it can work well otherwise it may not work well or even at all.

For Zoiper select Manual Configuration and simply enter your credentials.

If you have better success on Zoiper then taking a look at settings on CSipSimple might be worthwhile.

Unfortunately, right now FluidCall seems to be down at least for some members.