Official Tello Mobile thread

Comments

• @als said:
    als Pro 11 July 10 edited 12:46AM Flag   Well done  @MCHayashi

Nitpicking for fun and pleasure........ in the spirit of your post.......
     If you read carefully, I stated , 
     "  don't pay a 'dime ' when I don't"
    My statement  doesn't preclude 2 cent payments every 6 months

***Way to get your "2" cents in. :)
    Diedrich_DuoMCHayashi
  • Diedrich_DuoDiedrich_Duo MVP 44
    edited July 2017
    @Isamorph said:
    ***Way to get your "2" cents in.

Enjoying your latest posts, @Isamorph and @als !  For my money, they're priceless... just wish they came with a money-back guarantee. :)   
  • Is Tello offering a free first month? 

How long does a port from Ting (Sprint) take?
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    edited July 2017
    @joseph1   I don't know about any current first-month-free promo.  (but I also don't know there isn't one!)

(Edited below, because I finally managed to dig up my original post about this:)

It's anecdotal, but my port from Ting (Sprint) to Tello happened very quickly.  A copy of my post at the time:

" I started a port from a number just migrated to Ting this morning at 1:00 AM.  By 6:14 AM, I had the Welcome, Your Phone is Ready to Use email."

• MCHayashiMCHayashi All Star 59
    @als said:
    Nitpicking for fun and pleasure........ in the spirit of your post.......
    If you read carefully, I stated,
    "don't pay a 'dime ' when I don't"
    My statement  doesn't preclude 2 cent payments every 6 months

haha. touche.
  • Kudos to Tello for porting in my number from Ting :)
  • alsals Pro 11
    edited August 2017
    2 hours 9 minutes ago #7602
    Hey there,

Although expiry has changed from 6 to 3 months, activity of any type still counts: calling, texting or using data. To avoid further confusion, we will update this part of the T&Cs: "Pay As You Go credit is available for a period of 3 months since customer's last order or call. If no order or call was placed in a period of 3 months, SIM and Pay As You Go credit will not be available for calls."
     Report This
    1 hour 5 minutes ago #7603
    Are those of us grandfathered under the old terms, still covered by the six month call expiry date?
     Report This
    1 hour 1 minute ago #7604

No, the same expiry applies to everyone. Still, it's just one call, or one text, or checking your email every 3 months to keep your credit valid.
     Report This
    23 minutes ago -  22 minutes ago #7605

Woops, I signed up, for Tello Paygo 6 months ago.

Tello offered me 10$ paygo with one phone call per 6 months to keep me active.
    I signed a contract for those terms.
    It suites my needs, precisely, because I'm off, out on back country assignments for four months or more at a time.

Now you are telling me that the agreement we made, in writing 6 months ago, is at your whim, and, is no longer valid?

How, can you just backdate terms of service when we, have a contract?
    Is a contract a contract, or are we just suckers agreeing to terms of service which can be backdated at any time?
  • I would suggest you actually read the TOS before attempting to attack them with it.  Did you actually "sign" anything or did you just simply accept the terms given by using their service?  Even if you did sign something (which I doubt), no company would honor anything "forever", as that is not good business practice.

Under Tello Changes & Updates you will note the following: "Tello may change different aspects of its service and features without notice or liability."

In addition: "We'll keep these Terms and Conditions up-to-date. So, please revisit them from times to times. By continuing to use our service after a change means that you have accepted the changes implemented."

Your welcome!
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    Notification after a big change like this would have been nice.  I could easily have lost my balances since I haven't used some in 3 months thinking I was safe.  

I received notification a month ago that uk calls would go from 1c to 3c but not this?

Still I'm glad I find this stuff out from these forums.
    @als
      In the interest of being fair, and not having to repeat information existing in a discussion on another forum, here's Tello's reply to the conversation chain you quoted above:

"By using Tello services the user accepts the rates, Terms and Conditions and procedures on this website. Tello may change or modify the Terms from time to time without notice other than posting amended Terms on this Website. Tello reserves the right to change, modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Website (or any portion thereof), including any and all content contained on the Website, at any time without notice. You agree that Tello shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Website."

You will find these same conditions for every other carrier or service out there. "
     (back to my thoughts.....)   I think it would always be a good idea for a company to notify all customers when ToS are updated-- it avoids hard feelings when those changes might impact a user later.

@als, I know you picked your provider carefully to mesh with your travel needs, and that this change might be particularly problematic for you.   If you established your PayGo credit with a direct payment (rather than the free credit Tello offered at one point), and you feel that the change makes Tello service untenable for you, you might inquire from Tello CS about the possibility of a refund and closing your account there.  I imagine Tello has a "no refunds" policy similar to most prepaid providers, but they might be willing to make an exception if you describe how this impacts you.  
       I'm not aware of many other companies that have a more flexible expiration policy regarding occasional use, but I haven't looked specifically with those circumstances in mind.

RidetheBus
  • ChelleChelle Moderator 121
    While I find the 90 day rule to be reasonable I agree that the lack of notice could have caught a lot of people with their pants down.  

I live off of my Google Calendar and always make notes of things I have to do to maintain compliance with companies and governmental agencies that I interface with.

If I had tried to make "just in case" calls on my dormant devices before the deadline had arrived and discovered that those devices had long since been deactivated I would have been pretty ticked.

I realize that Tello has to pay for every number and probably realized that the 6 month deadline was bad for the bottom line-- but emails don't cost anything to mail out.

I think that Tello should reset everyone's "clock" back to 0 and send out emails about the new 90 day rule.
    Isamorph
  • I don't think a company really needs to "bend backwards" to cater to the minority that are just using them to park numbers.  If you're going more than 90 days without making a call/text/email check, do you really need service?  I agree the notification would be "nice", but in this case, it's extra work that caters to a minority that doesn't add to revenue.

Now for rate changes, that makes more sense to notify customers.  In this case, a customer calling the uk adds to revenue and it would be wise to advise their customers that add to the bottom line.
    edited August 2017
    I disagree.  People use cellphones in different ways.  I have one with tello that is an emergency line. Sure it isn't a money maker for tello but my other line I may use it a lot when on vacation and not at all for months on end.  Chances are I'll miss the 3 month thing one day.  But still might spend $100+ on it.  I may just move to tracfone or something since I don't have to worry about extra requirements. 

I spend time helping others find the right plan and I have recommended tello a lot.  Many I have recommended like the 6 month thing.  It gives people breathing room.  I think tello underestimate how much people actually like the 6 month thing even if few actually make use of it.  Tello have been running for a little over a year so they haven't that much data anyway.  I strongly encourage them to rethink this policy change.  

3 months is reasonable but 6 months is a unique selling point.
    Isamorph
    @sleek-forest-green-wavy-journey-828418 said:
    I don't think a company really needs to "bend backwards" to cater to the minority that are just using them to park numbers.  If you're going more than 90 days without making a call/text/email check, do you really need service?  I agree the notification would be "nice", but in this case, it's extra work that caters to a minority that doesn't add to revenue.
    I agree with all the points you have made here.  I'll also mention that in my experience, and the experience of many who have signed up with Tello, they excel at both being "nice", and being more than fairly priced.  I might guess that Tello will think about being more proactive about informing customers about any possible similar change moving forward.

Tello's rate structure works very well for both moderate use as a primary phone, and as a "backup"  phone.   I have a number "parked" there, too-- not in the sense of "being parked and never used", but in the sense of being "parked & ready to go when needed",:  to immediately replace another line or to loan to a friend.  I might imagine that others who have lines "parked" at Tello are 'parked' in a similar fashion.   It has become my primary phone at least once in recent months, and will likely do so again at some point.  Although I don't think I've been in any danger of not using the phone every 90 days, I can certainly envision how someone's circumstances might cause difficulties, especially if they were not aware of the change.  I'm also on a minimal paid plan, though, so there's revenue being generated whether I use the phone or not.   If my circumstances change just a little, the Tello line might be my primary line, and another line elsewhere would be the backup. (That was indeed my plan when I opened the Tello line.)

Isamorph
  • When did the 6 to 3 month change go in?  Are there any cases where they applied it retroactively (meaning they removed PAYG balance from lines that had been inactive for 3 months prior to the change being applied)?
    @JandA said:
    When did the 6 to 3 month change go in? 
    The change is very recent-- or at least user sightings of the change in the ToS are very recent. (Within the last week or so.)   I have seen no reports of anyone losing PayGo balance as of yet:  but of course, if someone hadn't used their phone for months, it might be an additional long period of time before they realized the balance was gone........

• @KentE said:
    it might be an additional long period of time before they realized

Sort of like when RP shut down :)

@JandA said:
    Sort of like when RP shut down
    Yes-- I meant to keep track of when the last " why isn't my number working" inquiry showed up in the forum, but failed to keep an updated log.. 
      On the bright side-- maybe that last inquiry hasn't arrived yet!

• I read about this earlier this week on Prepaid Phone News, where most of the (anonymous) commenters are making the same sorts of comments.

IMHO, those of us who could remember to make a phone call once every 60 days on RingPlus can remember to use their Tello line(s) for something at least once every 3 months. And, yes, I have used my line on Tello for at least that.

The real question is: let's say I have 503-555-0103 and 425-555-0175 on Tello, would it really count if I sent an SMS text from 503 to 425 of "Test message; please disregard" and the billable outgoing text on 503 and billable incoming text on 425 count as activity for 3 months? (Just throwing a hypothetical idea out there for people with no idea of what they might do for a billable activity; also for anyone wondering about those numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_(telephone_number))
    @KentE said:
    Yes-- I meant to keep track of when the last " why isn't my number working" inquiry showed up in the forum, but failed to keep an updated log.. 
      On the bright side-- maybe that last inquiry hasn't arrived yet!
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone somewhere who was on RingPlus still has an extra glovebox, extra "junk drawer," extra phone they gave to their kid or an elderly family member, "I just plain forgot about it," or has been out of the country for business or service to their country.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • Christina_TelloChristina_Tello Verified Poster 7
    "The real question is: let's say I have 503-555-0103 and 425-555-0175 on Tello, would it really count if I sent an SMS text from 503 to 425 of "Test message; please disregard" and the billable outgoing text on 503 and billable incoming text on 425 count as activity for 3 months?"

Yes, this counts as activity on both numbers.
    ChelleDiedrich_DuoKentEIsamorphRidetheBus
    edited August 2017
    @RidetheBus said:
    IMHO, those of us who could remember to make a phone call once every 60 days on RingPlus can remember to use their Tello line(s) for something at least once every 3 months.

IM(extremely)HO, I couldn't agree more.  I apologize in advance if this post offends anyone on this forum, but complaining about having to use your phone once every 3 months to qualify for amazingly inexpensive phone service is just plain silly.  I would suggest that anyone on Tello just spend a few cents and use the phone once a month to keep it active.  That way you wouldn't have to worry about which month is the deadline, especially if you have several "occasional" phones on Tello...  problem solved!  Of course, if that's too difficult, you could always just sign up with another (more expensive) provider who doesn't require such "frequent" use.  

Full disclosure: My phone provider is Twigby, so I am paying more but don't have any usage requirement.  They are happy to take my money each month whether I use my phone or not.  :)
    JandA
  • @Diedrich_Duo said:
    I apologize in advance if this post offends anyone on this forum, but complaining about having to use your phone once every 3 months to qualify for amazingly inexpensive phone service is just plain silly.

Completely agree!  I, too, find it incredible that anyone can try to find a justifiable reason why they can't (or find it difficult) comply with this "requirement".  The "reasons" I've come across are more excuses than anything else.  
    Diedrich_Duo
    edited August 2017
    It is incredible when it doesn't affect you. 

Next time the silent change in terms might affect you.  I hope you find it equally acceptable to lie down and roll over about it.  

There are 2 issues here:
      Notification:  I think we all agree it would have been nice (and probably smart) for Tello to have sent notices to all of us, regardless of our usage pattern.  It's not a requirement:  it's just good customer relations.  (And make no mistake about my intent here-- I think Tello does an excellent job of being responsive to customers overall!)

Justification for a policy change:  A no-brainer for me on this one-- Tello still has one of the more lenient policies about non-use.  Trying to figure out exactly how to balance that out, and where to draw lines, is never easy.  I'm guessing a lot of us 'refugees' will still be money losers for Tello, even with the 90-day requirement.  I still appreciate a rate structure and use policies that make it a good choice for low-use and occassional-use customers.  It's unfortunate that it might make the service unworkable for a few in very unusual circumstances.  .

@Christina_Tello said:

Yes, this counts as activity on both numbers.
    @Christina_Tello, could you clarify something for us about the new policy? As stated, I believe it seems to be targeted at those who are using a PayGo balance for all use (with no recurring monthly charge.) .  A lot of us have "hybrid" plans with Tello, with monthly paid allotments of text & data (or voice/data, or voice/text)  and use PayGo balances for the missing element.  How does the 90-day rule apply here?  Is the PayGo balance still at risk per the 90-day rule even if we're making monthly payments on the other allotments?  

And if the answer is yes, would the line be closed despite monthly payments for the other allotments?
    If the answer is yes, with the same "hybrid" style plan, would a text from a plan including a monthly text bucket protect a PayGo balance used only for voice?  (or similar)

Isamorph
    edited August 2017
    @mmfacemm said:
    It is incredible when it doesn't affect you. 

Next time the silent change in terms might affect you.  I hope you find it equally acceptable to lie down and roll over about it.

Point taken.  Who among us takes the time to regularly read our provider's TOS to look for any changes?  I do agree with an earlier post that it would have been nice if Tello sent out an e-mail regarding the change so that their customers could make an informed decision (stick with Tello and use the device more?  or switch providers?) before they got cut off by the new TOS.  I guess I got so used to RingPlus's style that I use that as my standard and don't expect much in the way of proactive communications from cellular providers. 
    Isamorph