Does a flip phone with tethering ability exist?

ScaredwitlessScaredwitless Novice 1
Does anyone know of a ringplus compatible flip phone with data tethering capability? Whether it be by Bluetooth or Wi-Fi or USB?

Comments

• Probably not with CDMA, GSM yes
    ConciseSinger
  • ConciseSingerConciseSinger MVP 45
    edited September 2016
    Yes. Probably not wifi but with usb/serial and possibly bluetooth if you are lucky/know what you are doing. If I remember, the original Motorola Razrs could, I know it was pretty easy on many Samsungs and Sony Erricsons as well.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1035562-MOTO-RAZR-V3m-on-Sprint-the-quot-How-to-quot-summary-thread
    Scaredwitless
  • @ConciseSinger Thanks for the info! Is the Samsungs ans SE a flip phone? Also is that the full model name? My Google search didn't turn up any hits... Thanks.
  • gamescangamescan All Star 55
    generous-aqua-wavy-ladybug-694632:
    Probably not with CDMA, GSM yes
    A number of CDMA flip phones support tethering. The A900 was a favorite of mine for quite a long time.

Scaredwitless
  • Scaredwitless:
    Thanks for the info! Is the Samsungs ans SE a flip phone?

That should have read Samsungs and Sony Erricsons, can't think of any particular model but they were popular with the tethering crowd back in the day.
    Scaredwitless
  • heyjheyj Novice 1
    There are also slide phones that work such as the envy and the rumor, but one thing to consider is often flip phones are not 4g so most would be very slow compared to a 4g lte device. Believe it or not though they do offer android flip phones that are 4g lte
  • hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 222
    Any of the feature phones being sold on the RingPlus store tether?
  • PromozePromoze All Star 125
    Back in 2007, when I had a Nextel flip phone, Sprint told me I would not be able to tether.  Well, I was able to download some software and got tethering working.  It was unbelievably slow - far worse than 3G.  From memory, I believe it was slower than a dial up modem.  Anyway, just a memory this thread stirred up.
  • gamescangamescan All Star 55
    Promoze:
    It was unbelievably slow - far worse than 3G.
    Likely running at 1xRTT.

• hhfpphone:
    Any of the feature phones being sold on the RingPlus store tether?

Possibly the Samsung M330. Bluetooth supports DUN profile http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=2167
    Wow, DUN, have not heard that term for a long time. :)
  • Thank you all for your input, it's given me several leads to look into.  Which is great because my Google searches weren't turning up much.

For example, @gamescan  had mentioned the Samsung A900 which led me tip find this  post: http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPage.php?file=docs/Connect%20Windows%207%20to%20the%20Internet%20Using%20the%20Samsung%20A900M%20Camera%20Phone which details how to set it and other Samsung phones tio tether visa Bluetooth.

I am gifting this line to an elderly relative who travels a lot around the country.  His old phone is an ancient falling apart flip phone, so I thought it best to duck with what he is familiar, and frankly I think a smart phone would just frustrate him. However he uses a laptop for mainly Facebook and email, so I thought it'd be great to get him something with tether calamity. Obviously, for those uses data speed it's not really a concern.

However I'm thinking set ups like the article I linked above might still be too complicated/too much fuss. So ideally I think something with Wi-Fi hotspot capability or USB plug and play would be best.

So, expanding the scope of my question: anyone know of any simple/dumb phone with simple to use tethering calamity?
  • ConciseSingerConciseSinger MVP 45
    edited September 2016
    Unfortunately tethering on feature phones was usually very technical, and wifi Hotspot feature phones were very rare, I think palm had a couple though if you want to try that route though then you might need to go away from R+. 

What about using a smartphone with a simplified launcher? There are some good ones out there (I've played around with Necta in the past and was able to get my mother comfortable with it) and you could customize it to the point where it only shows feature phone level apps. Another plus to this set up would be the ability to remotely troubleshoot via apps like TeamViewer Host if the need arose. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-best-simple-android-launchers-parents-grandparents/

Another thought is just get a phone for R+, don't use it for tethering, and get a Freedompop MiFi for the hotspot (which I ultimately went with for mom, it has 1 button, hard to get confused with that). 
    Scaredwitless
  • CaptSmokey6CaptSmokey6 Pro 8
    edited September 2016
    Tethering on flip phones is very slow... Almost impossible for Facebook or anything. I suggest getting a sprint USB modem for your elderly relative's laptop and activate it on one of the R+ data only plans. A Franklin u770 USB modem is a fairly decent modem, though it takes a couple of mins for the modem to boot up when you plug it in. It works on 3G and also 4G LTE.
    That is very true. Tethering off feature phones are from back in the Edge and early 3G days.
  • I was tethering back in 2002 with an old samsung. It was only 128kbps but it worked. You had to do it with a usb wire and #777 dialup networking. Later phones required you to have tethering on your account. The last one that worked for me was the samsung a900. After that you had to have tethering on your account. 
    Scaredwitlesshhfpphone
  • comintelcomintel Pro 8
    edited September 2016
    CaptSmokey6:
    A Franklin u770 USB modem is a fairly decent modem, though it takes a couple of mins for the modem to boot up when you plug it in. It works on 3G and also 4G LTE.

U770 does not have Sprint's newer wide-area-coverage (800 band 26) and high-speed (2600 band 41) bands.   
    Scaredwitless
  • I was able to Bluetooth tether with DUN on m y Samsung M800. I was surprised it worked. It was very slow.
    Scaredwitless
    ruby-susan:
    I was able to Bluetooth tether with DUN on m y Samsung M800. I was surprised it worked. It was very slow.
    You should use it in public along with a late 90's laptop... make people think you are a time traveler from the past. haha
  • My friend PirateUnicorn found something. I'll ask him to post.
  • I've been wanting something that fits this gap forever. Found out about the Kyocera DuraXE today. LTE Wifi hotspot! Found this thread again (long time , because I was wondering if there were new alternatives. Not looking like it yet.

+ Good things about flip phones (battery life, touch texting), 
    + Option to use smart devices with it, connected to the Wifi hotspot capabilities (which some may say make us dumber....facebook, maps, etc). 

Review on it: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=17139&ref=theinformr

An image I adapted from one of the review sites: 
    ScaredwitlesshhfpphoneVoIPFanRPConic_Ellipse