[ Resolved ] "SIM Not Supported" On replacement 6+ from Apple Store

DatoneguyDatoneguy Novice 2
A bit of background first, I started with Ringplus about 2.5 months ago on my old Verizon Iphone 4s which even though it passed the check tool it didn't work. I then began a search for a cheap Sprint phone to use on Ring+ before the 60 days of inactivity kicked in. Turned out to be a bit of a chore so I bit the bullet and bought a used unlocked Iphone 6+. I then had a hard time getting a SIM from 4 different Sprint Stores and my nearest Apple Store so I just bought one from Ebay.

After my SIM arrived I swapped devices from Dashboard inserted SIM and everything worked well until my wife dropped the phone and I started having issues with the touchscreen. Took it to a local repair shop they said they could replace the screen but can't guarantee it'll work so I went to the Apple Store and they said they couldn't repair it but could sell me a replacement for $350 if I gave them my old phone.  I said F it and bought it.

I swapped device again from dashboard and figured since the SIM was tied to my account that I didn't have to input the ICC ID so I just entered my new IMEI. Got the success message on dashboard I then started to setup the 6+. During activation I got the "SIM Not Supported" message. Everything I've read says the 6+ shouldn't be locked so I popped in my Straight Talk BYOD SIM and it worked fine. I go back to the Apple Store and spoke to a "Genius" to see if they gave me an AT&T locked phone due to the phone working with my ST SIM. He says it's locked to Verizon and that it won't work with Sprint. I tell him I think all Iphone 6 and above should be unlocked as long as there not tied to any PP plans. He tells me there's a Verizon Store around the corner and to see about getting a prepaid plan with them... I don't know why I bothered speaking to these "Geniuses."

So I get back home and try to see if there's a place to add the ICC ID from the SIM on my Dashboard. There isn't, so I search the forums and a thread recommended to swap to a placeholder ESN, so I swap back to my old Iphone 4s (from my first sentence above) then swap back and reenter the 6+ ESN and this time I enter my SIM ICC ID.  After the success message on the Dashboard I again get the dreaded "SIM Not Supported" message during activation.

To recap for those that don't want to read my life story above:

My 6+ which was working on Ringplus broke. Exchanged for replacement 6+ from Apple Store which they say is locked to Verizon. I say it can't be locked because it works with my Straight Talk BYOD SIM which runs off AT&T towers. Swapped device to replacement 6+ inserted my SIM and during activation I get a "SIM Not Supported" message.

I've done factory defaults from phone and it passes check device tools on ringplus , ting, and swappa. I've also tried the steps in the thread "FAQ for iPhones on RingPlus"

The SIM card I bought on Ebay whIch worked on my original 6+ is #SIMGLW436C

Any Ideas? TIA

Comments

• meanmean Moderator 63
    Hi @Datoneguy - Sorry to hear about all those issues.  Maybe I missed it but its late so forgive me., but  have you tried a different sim card? 
  • DatoneguyDatoneguy Novice 2
    No I don't currently have access to another Sprint SIM card. I figured since it was working before with the same model phone it would still work.
  • oldbooks1oldbooks1 Champion 174
    There are 2  likely explanations for the problem.  The first assumes that the Genius is correct and that you have been given a replacement device with the incorrect Activation Policy for use on Sprint.  This is a known issue and the best solution may be to return to the store and speak with the supervisor or, if necessary, the manager.  

Simply explain that what you were sold is not what Apple told you it was selling you--the replacement phone does not match the device you exchanged.  That should be sufficient to get you the result you want since the manager has discretion in such matters. You could ask the manager to pull the GSX for the device you traded and prove to you that the replacement is identical. It is likely that may be sufficient to get you the device you need.

Assuming you are given a device Apple assures you will work on Sprint, it is essential that you get a new sim as well.  You cannot simply swap a new IMEI into your account on its own.

The second explanation is that the Genius was wrong and all you need is a new sim.  To test that you would need a new sim and then try to swap in the new phone and sim into your current plan.   If Apple refuses to give you a different phone with the correct Sprint activation policy you could as a minimum try to get a new sim from the Apple Store and see if it solves the problem.  The odds of that working are probably not great..
    arrynrobJeff142MCHayashi
  • gamescangamescan All Star 55
    @oldbooks1 nailed it. It is one of those two things.

PS - Verizon doesn't lock the SIM card slot so the Genius was making that bit up.

• I think it's becouse your activated it with out the iccid card in the phone, could you swap to a different device and then back and use the ICCID, or make a ticket for them to add the iccid.
    I thought I read somewhere that the ICC ID is married to the phone it activates to? Since my ICC ID was activated on my previous 6+ it won't work on the replacement 6+? Has anyone else heard of that. Looks like I'll just have wait to order another SIM card from ebay unless someone in SoCal is willing to sell me one locally so I don't have to wait for it to arrive?
    The sim is married to the phone while it is active.  Once you deactivate the phone and sim you can in principle use the sim with a different phone.  However, this is generally not recommended because sometimes the sim is not correctly released and that can cause problems.

If you are near an Apple store you should be able to get the sim for free without waiting especially if you are dealing with the staff at the Genius bar.

What @Jeff142 is suggesting in terms of asking Support could also be done but if you have a device with the wrong Activation Policy that will not solve your problem and there is no way to know how long Support might take to handle your case.

akaLTDJeff142MCHayashi
  • Jeff142Jeff142 MVP 38
    edited June 2016
    If it pass'ed the byod check, and he was able to activate it without the iccid, it's vary unlikely to be an activation policy or it would have filed at activation.

Its also compleatly possible Apple gave him the wrong sim, I've had them give me the iPhone 5 sim for a 5s in the past, and many others have reported this as a problem aslo.
    Apple didn't give me a SIM my original 6+ had a SIM I bought on ebay. Which I then transferred to the replacement 6+ which leads to the sim not supported message. I'm going to try a ticket with Ring+ see if they have any ideas.
  • gamescangamescan All Star 55
    Datoneguy:
    Apple didn't give me a SIM my original 6+ had a SIM I bought on ebay. Which I then transferred to the replacement 6+ which leads to the sim not supported message. I'm going to try a ticket with Ring+ see if they have any ideas.
    You can't just swap a SIM from an active device. New device = new SIM.

So 2 schools of thought here which is why I'm pretty confused.

On one hand:
    The sim is married to the phone while it is active.  Once you deactivate the phone and sim you can in principle use the sim with a different phone. 

And the other:

• Jeff142Jeff142 MVP 38
    edited June 2016
    You can defantly swap simcards form device to device, I've done it many times, it's not guaranteed to work (in my experance I've never had it fail and I've done it at lest 8 times)

Just deactivate the first device, remove its simcard, put in new device and it will activate, I've done this countless times with Apple devices with no problems, I'd recommend a new sim becouse some have run into un-paring problems.

The problem here seems to stem form him activating the new phone without a simcard (iccid card) and then adding one after activation, witch won't work. Support can add the iccid, or you can swap devices and swap back with the iccid.

Had it been a problem with the phones activation policy it would never of activated in the first place, and it is active, just without an iccid so no 4g.
    Datoneguy
  • arrynrobarrynrob All Star 48
    @Datoneguy As @oldbooks1 indicated, the "SIM Not Supported" error is an Apple device policy activation issue (not a cellular activation issue).  You'll have to resolve this issue with Apple before pursuing cellular activation or further troubleshooting steps.  Here is a related thread: https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/53755/p1

I had read on HoFo that Applecare replacement devices may be issued with an incorrect activation policy.  What can happen is the replacement "chain" is broken, such that a replacement device does not inherit the policies of the previous device but instead a default policy that may be incorrect.  It's possible the default activation policy is erroneously GSM-SIM unlocked and CDMA-SIM locked, which would restrict CDMA activation to Verizon only (even though Verizon's policy is not to SIM lock any LTE device).

Can you post the model# shown in Settings->General->About->Model?  Thank you.
    edited June 2016
    Jeff142:
    Had it been a problem with the phones activation policy it would never of activated in the first place, and it is active, just without an iccid so no 4g.

Since the member has already decided how to proceed the issue is moot until we hear the outcome of the interaction with Support.

Just wondering what the exact meaning of activation policy you have in mind.  My understanding is there are two entirely different elements: one is the Activation Policy on the device which is set by Apple and the other is the act of registering the device on an account on RingPlus.

There are many examples of iPhones activating on RingPlus but failing to provision for voice and sms and being limited to data service and FluidCall.  In most of the cases of this type that have been discussed in other threads the issue has been that the Apple Activation policy was not compatible with correct provisioning on Sprint for voice and sms. Here is one example.
    https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/49534/#Comment_49534

In the present case it is certainly correct to expect there would be a problem with the member attempting to swap an IMEI onto an active account which already has a sim registered to it.  If that were the only thing we knew then indeed the swap method would likely resolve the issue.

However we have been told it is a replacement device which should mean the Part Number has "N" as the first character--the member can easily determine if this is the case.  For machines of this type there can an Apple Activation policy issue that will affect provisioning.  We do not know if that is the case but it would be consistent with the remark by the Genius that the device will not operate on Sprint.
    edited June 2016
    @Jeff142 ;
    "Support can add the iccid, or you can swap devices and swap back with the iccid."

In the 4th paragraph of my original post I explain where I tried swapping then swapping back with the ICC ID but I get the same message
    Jeff142
  • Jeff142Jeff142 MVP 38
    edited June 2016
    @oldbooks1, the comment you linked is to a phone purchased overseas, and yes it is a problem with those phones for some, but this person dosent have that, and it's likely these phones just physically don't have the bands or software it's hard to sh but over seas phones can't guarantee support here.

Apple has no hidden policy's, it's all down to your carrier and it's policy's the phone saying it's not a supported sim is purely becouse it's not a valid sim, I've had problems with replacement Apple devices in the past, but I've never had one actually activate in every case what was required was the original phones sprint account, owner, and the new phone, then they clear the replacement device.

This sim not supported is likely due to Apple giving out the wrong sim, or the old device stll being pared to the device, in the event Apple gives you a device that has a carrier inforced policy they fail with FED flag, I've had this happen on 2 occasions to me.

Its extremely unlikely Apple gave back the wrong device, as there stocking system won't even let this happen!
  • Datoneguy:
    The sim is married to the phone while it is active.  Once you deactivate the phone and sim you can in principle use the sim with a different phone. 
    Yes. Yes, different phone same model or the SIM is the correct P/N for the device you want to use it in
    Datoneguy:
    True. This is the best policy if you are simply deactivating a device and intend on using it or selling it. If you are just replacing a defective device then swapping the SIM over would be a common sense approach, no sense in throwing away a good SIM.

• Jeff142Jeff142 MVP 38
    edited June 2016
    Help us fill in some blanks @Datoneguy go to settings and about, then post your model number and carrier.

Also so has the device been connected to iTunes? Apple has this odd thing were phones can only be "unlocked" by connecting them to iTunes.

Heres Some info
    A1522 on the back of the phone
    Model # NGAL2LL/A
    VER. 9.3.2 (13F69)
    Carrier Sprint 24.2

I really appreciate all the input from you all thanks
    Jeff142
    Datoneguy:
    Heres Some info
    A1522 on the back of the phone
    Model # NGAL2LL/A
    VER. 9.3.2 (13F69)
    Carrier Sprint 24.2

OK this suggests you have a Sprint SIM currently in the phone and were able to get past the Apple/iTunes activation.  Are the MEID and ICCID in your R+ dashboard correct?
    @Jeff142 I have not connected it to itunes. What should I do after I connect it anything special?
    @arrynrob ;
    I used my IMEI to register which is identical to the MEID except it has an extra digit at the end. It has a 4 at the end.
    And the ICC ID is correct
    What symptoms are you experiencing?  Do you see a Sprint signal?  Can you make/receive calls?
  • Jeff142Jeff142 MVP 38
    edited June 2016
    I've officially run down the rabbit hole, and back, and gathered some info.

There are 2 versions of the MGAL2LL one of them has no cdma support at all, only GSM the other has Bolth (come on Apple this is just stupid and N just means it's a replacement, M is original) 

looking at a few websites, I can't find any ware the model number you list as being sold by any CDMA carrier and olny GSM ones. infact this website has your phone listed under GSM only ATT

http://www.techwalls.com/differences-between-iphone-6-6-plus-models/
    iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Gray (GSM) AT&T MGAL2LL/A

And 9 to 5 Mac reports the Unlocked / SimFree as A1634

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/08/sim-free-unlocked-iphone-6s/

It oddly, appears to me that Apple has given you a phone with no CDMA support, but I can't be 100% positive. I'd try a new simcard if at all possible. I almost refuse to believe this is possible, as there own inventory system shouldn't allow this.

Its odd that your phone would pass the BYOD check how ever if it dosent support CDMA, if the Apple Store isn't to far away, I'd ask them if it will support CDMA.
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    Jeff142:
    Its odd that your phone would pass the BYOD check how ever if it dosent support CDMA
    He didn't run it thought the BYOD checker first, just simply swapped. And sometimes swapping doesn't do or check what its supposed to. Like it shouldn't have allow him to swap without entering an ICCID either but it did.

Jeff142