Important Activation Notice Regarding Prepaid Phones

KarlKarl RingPlus 169

Important Activation Notice  

Regarding Prepaid Phones

Starting April 17, 2016, per our carrier partner Sprint, Members and potential Members will no longer be able to activate prepaid devices which are not eligible under Sprint’s FED policies (explained below).  Such prepaid devices will no longer pass FED until actual eligibility date is met. This is not a new Sprint policy. It is merely a system update to the Sprint system to comply with Sprint’s existing FED policies, and to close the gap in the system that allowed such devices to pass FED and be activated on carriers other than those that originally sold the device (“originating carrier”).

RingPlus has neither promoted nor had any control over this issue on either the carrier or consumer level. In addition, Sprint is neither placing any blame on RingPlus or its Members, nor is Sprint requiring the deactivation of such devices.

What you need to know:

1) Sprint is not requiring the deactivation of such devices activated on RingPlus prior to April 17, 2016. Therefore your current device will stay active on RingPlus.  

2) Such prepaid devices already activated will not be impacted by the change if the device stays with the carrier it was activated on prior to April 17, 2016.

3) After April 17, 2016, if a Member deactivates such a device, they will not be able to reactive it on any carrier (including RingPlus) other than the carrier that sold it until it clears the FED. For example, a deactivated Sprint prepaid device will not be able to be activated on any carrier other than Sprint after April 17, 2016, until it clears the FED.

3) Purchases of such devices will not eligible to be activated on RingPlus or any carrier other than the carrier selling the device after April 17, 2016. For example, a Virgin prepaid device will only be eligible to be activated on Virgin until it clears the FED. 

What is the Sprint FED Policy?

The following is a brief summary of the Sprint FED policy:

The Sprint FED policy addresses the financial eligibility of a device to be activated on a carrier other than the carrier on which it originated (i.e., the carrier that originally sold it for use on its network). If the eligibility requirements are not met, the device cannot be activated on the new carrier. The FED applies to all devices and carriers in the Sprint family (such as Sprint, RingPlus, Freedom Pop, etc.).

For a device to be considered financially eligible, it must meet the following requirements:

1) prepaid devices must have been active on the account associated with the originating carrier for at least 12 months. For example, if a customer buys a Boost prepaid device, the device must have been active on a Boost account for at least 12 months;

2) no money is owed on the account with the originating carrier;

3) no money is owed on the phone, and the contract associated with it (including end-of-lease purchase amount or other amounts) has been fulfilled; and

4) the device has not been reported or stolen.

zanthrax54HoanAnna_HarmonPromoze

Comments

• hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 222
    ... mad rush to Best Buy... :)
    zanthrax54
  • roscorosco MVP 43
    hhfpphone:
    ... mad rush to Best Buy...

but... but.... but.... 
  • m1m1 Pro 5
    What are the reliable sources for FEDs?
  • Yes, I would like to know if there is a way to verify a phone will pass FED?
    Ringplus BYOD checker checks for the FED flag.

https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new

zanthrax54CharlesH
  • So, even under the newly enforced old policy, if it passed before, you know you are good then. Perfect!
  • Seh-heeSeh-hee MVP 30
    edited March 2016
    @Karl, @"Jerry GC",  @Rp_Mod_Multi,
          So will this have any affect on activating new, in-box, unactivated Sprint or Virgin Mobile Prepaid phones for use on RingPlus purchased at Best Buy after April 17, 2016 if we're former or present Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile customers? I am a former Virgin Mobile customer, and so are some of my family members (over 10 years), who may wish to transfer their phone numbers at some point very soon. Also, how will this also affect customers who are not former Virgin Mobile or Boost Mobile customers who are purchasing new, in-box, unactivated Spint or Virgin Mobile phones from Best Buy to use on RingPlus for the CDMA compatibility? 
  • TRONG HATRONG HA Novice 0

So if you have an boost mobile device recently activated on ring+, and swap out after April 17, 2016, your old device can not be used on ring+ again until it clears the FED?

• Does this mean people can still use Sprint new/unactivated prepaid phones (Sprint prepaid phones) from Best Buy and others? 
    We kind-off pay the price and it is not attached to any other financial liabilities as far I know apart from being tied to Sprint activation. Certainly understand Virgin and Boost part of it...
    Sazz:
    Does this mean people can still use Sprint new/unactivated prepaid phones (Sprint prepaid phones) from Best Buy and others?
    Not after Apr 17.  Those phones are discounted vs the post-paid versions, so no you did not buy it outright.  Sprint Prepaid phones are also discounted.  Do a price comparison in store.
  • Confusing. Does this change anything about which phones people should buy for use with Ringplus?

Does this mean people will no longer be able to buy low cost Boost etc. prepaid phones and activate them with Ringplus?

I have a new Boost phone that hasn't been activated. Can I activate it on Ringplus after April 17, 2016?

"3) After April 17, 2016, if a Member deactivates such a device, they will not be able to reactive it on any carrier (including RingPlus) other than the carrier that sold it until it clears the FED. For example, a deactivated Sprint prepaid device will not be able to be activated on any carrier other than Sprint after April 17, 2016, until it clears the FED."

If a phone is active on Ringplus by April 17, 2016 then is later deactivated, it can't be added back to Ringplus later?
  • BoodlBoodl Novice 2
    TRONG HA:
    So if you have an boost mobile device recently activated on ring+, and swap out after April 17, 2016, your old device can not be used on ring+ again until it clears the FED?

This is what concerns me as well.
    No more device swapping, and what happens if you break your phone? How would you add a new one?
  • roscorosco MVP 43
    TRONG HA:

Correct. So if you need to swap a phone, do it now rather than later.
  • dragonsmithdragonsmith Pro 12
    edited March 2016
    We have to wait and see what happen after april 17, 2016.
    Boodl:
    No more device swapping, and what happens if you break your phone? How would you add a new one?
    You will have to buy a phone with the FED flag cleared.  The prepaid trick was a loophole so consider yourself lucky for being able to do it in the first place.
    Anna_Harmon
  • roscorosco MVP 43
    dragonfly:
    Confusing. Does this change anything about which phones people should buy for use with Ringplus?

It would definitely affect my choice: no Boost, VM, Sprint prepaid phones NIB.

dragonfly:
    Does this mean people will no longer be able to buy low cost Boost etc. prepaid phones and activate them with Ringplus?

Not after April 17.

dragonfly:
    I have a new Boost phone that hasn't been activated. Can I activate it on Ringplus after April 17, 2016?

No. It'll fail the FED check.

dragonfly:
    If a phone is active on Ringplus by April 17, 2016 then is later deactivated, it can't be added back to Ringplus later?

Depends on the phone. My Moto X & LG G I'll be able to deactivate and activate no problem. The SPP Moto E, if I deactivate it, I won't be able to reactivate/swap it back on RP after April 17.
  • Is their a link where I can read the Sprint FED policy?
  • hhfpphone:
    Not after Apr 17.  Those phones are discounted vs the post-paid versions, so no you did not buy it outright.  Sprint Prepaid phones are also discounted.  Do a price comparison in store.

That's a blow to R+ I think. It was really inexpensive to test the service with those prepaid phones, if you happen to be a GSM fan boy all through... I think new sign-ups will be down after Apr 17... Sprint needs to reconsider this for new/never activated Sprint branded phones... :neutral: 
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 127
    Time to recommend to every friend, acquaintance, & relative to buy a phone (Best Buy, etc) of their choice to activate a R+ account before the above deadline. Worst case is the phone can be used with the original carrier, sold, or used as WiFi (even Fluidcall) device.

Think this will mean a quickened pace of such phones flying off the Best Buy shelves or a slow down of such pace, given the impending tightening of enforcement by Sprint?
  • Does this mean we won't be able to activate Freedompop phones with Ring+?  
    I was looking to buy S5 to replace Moto E, but I guess eBay is the place to go now.   
  • HoanHoan Moderator 133
    So basically, branded phones have to activated with its original brand first and have to meet FED policy to be used on other Sprint MVNO, they closed the loophole of unopened-box phones.
    old-fashioned-jade-houndstooth-weasel-950468:
    Does this mean we won't be able to activate Freedompop phones with Ring+?  
    Depends on the device.  If it was a prepaid phone that did not fulfill the 12 mo requirement, then no.

old-fashioned-jade-houndstooth-weasel-950468:
    I was looking to buy S5 to replace Moto E, but I guess eBay is the place to go now.   
    I personally buy from Swappa.  Before you buy, make sure you have the seller check Ring+ checker to verify that it passes before buying.  And make sure they include the Sprint SIM for the phone, otherwise, ask for a $15 discount (that's how much a Ring+ Sprint SIM costs).

https://my.ringplus.net/device_validation_requests/new

• hungryghosthungryghost All Star 88
    edited March 2016
    Sounds like the (device) gravy train is over, folks. This was always a gray-area of unenforced FED lockouts (by Sprint). I'm just surprised that Sprint allowed it to continue for this long, then finally decided to plug the hole now. Either way, those who have been able to take advantage of cheap prepaid devices should consider themselves lucky that Sprint is not deactivating the "rogue" devices en masse. That's certainly in their (technical) ability, but would have caused a firestorm of protests, I think. At least this way, grandfathered rogue phones can remain so, as long as they don't deactivate from their current (unsanctioned) MVNO.

Btw, this new FED twist is going to affect all MVNOs, not just RingPlus. So for those using rogue (non-FED cleared) devices on Ting, FreedomPop, etc., the same should apply there also: device (re)activations will fail after 4/17/2016 (if the device is branded for a different MVNO and hasn't cleared FED).
    bodacious-plum-fractal-tapir-682028
  • HoanHoan Moderator 133
    edited March 2016
    I personally think that this update is executed in order to keep the balance and fair practices among Sprint's MVNO. Hungryghost is right, it is great that they will not deactivate phones that took advantage of this loophole. After all, Ringplus hasn't been the only partner that Sprint has
    zanthrax54bodacious-plum-fractal-tapir-682028