Hungryghost

Please delete my nth circle account.
Thank you. :)

Comments

• KentEKentE Moderator 167
    Hi, Soteria!  !   I've enjoyed seeing you on Nth Circle forum, and would miss that if you leave there.
    You are always welcome here, of course.
    I don't know if hungryghost checks in here often, since he stays pretty busy elsewhere now.
    I think you can always send a message to hungryghost  through the Contact link in the top banner of the Nth Circle forum, or by sending a PM there through his Profile page on .Nth.
    (Click on hungryghost's avatar, and then on "Send a Private Message".)

I'd be glad to send better directions via PM here if you'd like.
    I'll send you a PM message now-- just click on the counter in the top bar here by the inbox.

• Hi KentE
    Thanks for the reply! :-)
    I enjoyed seeing you as well.
    And enjoyed the forum.
    Not leaving by choice.
    He permanently banned me.
    My profile stated:

Block
    Permanent ban
    Block

Jeez
    I must have behaved quite egregiously!
    I don't believe I measured up to others.
    Just my opinion.

There is no purpose of an account,
     without access.
    Especially with that profile.
    Made me sound quite monstrous.
    Of course,
     that is not my opinion.
    Just not self aware.
    I consider myself to be quite pleasant.
    I must be disillusioned. lol
    Thanks for your kind words.
    It means so much! :-)
    Good night!
    I don't believe that the pm feature is working!

• PDFfilePDFfile Novice 1

Soteria1:

It is inconceivable to me that you received any Ban whatsoever, let alone a Permanent one.

While the two most egregious offenders get by with a temporary Ban (30 days and 3 days). So they’ll soon be back to the Nth Circle re-creating divisiveness

I have been a contributing member to the Nth Circle forum since its inception, but have become increasingly unhappy with its direction. I will be leaving it very soon; after I say some good byes via PM.

Very Best wishes to you Soteria1.

• alsals Pro 11
    Soteria 1
     Rock on!!!!!
     The Mick got banned from fancier places and never let it faze him.
     Who knows. one day you may be Sir or Dame  Soteria1 !!!!!!
     I will miss you on nth circle. You are the one that talked me into joining :)
     Meanwhile, please stay active and in touch on the ringplus forum
     Who knows what crazy fun we can get up to. It's almost eggnog season again. :)
  • @PDFfile said:
    It is inconceivable to me that you received any Ban whatsoever, let alone a Permanent one. While the two most egregious offenders get by with a temporary Ban (30 days and 3 days). So they’ll soon be back to the Nth Circle re-creating divisiveness

Apparently to Hungryghost, they weren't the most "egregious" offenders.

Obviously. Hence the reason for my post.

And for further consideration: Soteria1 has been a prolific poster on the Ringplus forum and never received any ban whatsoever. (To the best of my knowledge)

The two egregious offenders who only received a temporary ban on the Nth Circle, were permanently banned from the Ringplus forum

• The banned actions are probably more reflective on the governance style of the admin/moderators than it does on the actual posters.  The forum here (when it was truly active) was very narrow in scope, focused more on R+ and occasional comparisons with other MNVOs.  Nth Circle is more broad in the topics allowed, which allows more diversity in topics and viewpoints.

On a different note, I do find it interesting that Soteria chose to reach out to Hungryghost here vice his actual forum from the outset.  Thank you KentE for pointing him in the right direction!
    edited November 7
    @PDFfile said:
    And for further consideration: Soteria1 has been a prolific poster on the Ringplus forum and never received any ban whatsoever. (To the best of my knowledge)
    To the best of my knowledge too ( :)  )  Soteria1 never received as much as a warning from a mod here.
    As a matter of fact, when the last election for mods and Ethical Committee was being planned, there was a thread where members could suggest who they would like to see run for those positions-- and Soteria1 was a frequent "Member's choice" suggestion for the Ethical Committee, following in the footsteps of hungryghost.

@sleek-forest-green-wavy-journey-828418 said:
    The banned actions are probably more reflective on the governance style of the admin/moderators than it does on the actual posters.  The forum here (when it was truly active) was very narrow in scope, focused more on R+ and occasional comparisons with other MNVOs.  Nth Circle is more broad in the topics allowed, which allows more diversity in topics and viewpoints.
    Good points.  I would mention that, IMHO, hungryghost was one of the two Volunteer Members that were essential in helping the moderators here at Social establish their guidelines.  (And no, the other was not me.)  So there's a consistency across moderation in the 2 forums, as well as differences due to the different purposes and structures of the 2 forums.

@als said:
     Who knows what crazy fun we can get up to. It's almost eggnog season again
    I hope so!  With holidays approaching, I could use one of those memorable  menu/recipe posts again.

als
  • @PDFfile said:
    Soteria1: It is inconceivable to me that you received any Ban whatsoever, let alone a Permanent one. While the two most egregious offenders get by with a temporary Ban (30 days and 3 days). So they’ll soon be back to the Nth Circle re-creating divisiveness I have been a contributing member to the Nth Circle forum since its inception, but have become increasingly unhappy with its direction. I will be leaving it very soon; after I say some good byes via PM. Very Best wishes to you Soteria1.

Thank you! :-)
    For your kind words.
    It was quite astounding to me as well.
    Apparently, he was under the misconception that I was advocating racism.
    Mind blown! :-)
    What a rash conclusion.

The forum would be a wonderful experience,
     if everyone had your consideration and courtesy.:-) 
    Best Wishes to you!! :-)
    All the best!
  • @als said:
    Soteria 1
     Rock on!!!!!
     The Mick got banned from fancier places and never let it faze him.
     Who knows. one day you may be Sir or Dame  Soteria1 !!!!!!
     I will miss you on nth circle. You are the one that talked me into joining
     Who knows what crazy fun we can get up to. It's almost eggnog season again.

Lol.
    Reach for the stars, if it feels right!! :-)
    I'm sure in the desert,
    that they shine bright like a diamond.
    Your words brighten my darkest hour!! :-)
    I'm astonished that I was banished.
    Apparently, I am an evil racist.
    On top of White Supremacist, Russian, snowflake.
    All of which I had been called, on numerous occasions.
    Erroneously, I might add.
    Evidently, that is to be tolerated. Acceptable.
    My videos were in response to biased opinions.
    Devil's advocate.
    Never, indicated that I held these opinions.
    Just presented evidence, that you could find anything to support a biased narrative.

Jeez, I need some eggnog.

See you again! :-)

als

• @sleek-forest-green-wavy-journey-828418 said:
    The banned actions are probably more reflective on the governance style of the admin/moderators than it does on the actual posters.  The forum here (when it was truly active) was very narrow in scope, focused more on R+ and occasional comparisons with other MNVOs.  Nth Circle is more broad in the topics allowed, which allows more diversity in topics and viewpoints.

On a different note, I do find it interesting that Soteria chose to reach out to Hungryghost here vice his actual forum from the outset.  Thank you KentE for pointing him in the right direction!

Please allow me to express my sympathy.
    For if this is of interest, 
    your life is bleak.
    Apparently, you missed the fact that I was banished.

It is inane to express gratitude for something that doesn't concern or affect you.

Also unnecessary, issue was resolved prior to the post.

Off Topic Talk
    I must say that pretty much covers it all.

Take care! :-)
    I hope you find something of just a bit more interest.
  • @Soteria1 said:
    Please allow me to express my sympathy.
    For if this is of interest, 
    your life is bleak.
    Apparently, you missed the fact that I was banished.

It is inane to express gratitude for something that doesn't concern or affect you.

Hmmm...if this is reflective of how you respond on Nth Circle then I can see why Hungryghost took the action he did....lol!

Of course I understand the concept of being "permanently banished".  However, somehow you were able to view your profile as you state:
    @Soteria1 said:
    My profile stated:

Block
    Permanent ban
    Block

So if you can login to view your profile status, you can also reach out to Hungryghost using the guidance recommended by KentE.
  • Did you not understand, it was already resolved.
    No guidance necessary. :)
    Enjoy bleakness.
    It suits you.
    Apparently, my responses garner more  <3 love.

This thread has given me pause for thought.  What really are the differences between the Nth Circle forum and the Ringplus forum?

Both are user friendly, where one can post on any subject whatsoever and open new topic threads at will.

Both have members who are more educated and articulate than typical internet forums.

Ringplus advantages

Active moderation (if that is important to you)

New members can open up accounts immediately

Nth Circle advantages

No advertising

Cleaner interface

These are  just my extremely superficial observations. I would hope members would add more differences and correct any of my likely errors

Oh, and of course the Nth Circle forum at this point in time is much more active.

Another difference:
    Social expressly prohibited political discussion (including things like the "take a knee" issue), and actively discouraged religious discussion.
       The reason was simply the standard social interaction "rule" to never discuss religion or politics with other than close friends-- it's just too likely to cause discomfort and arguments.   Since Social was created with the specific goal in mind of helping RingPlus users, it was deemed more important that all users should feel comfortable here.

Similar reasoning for the active moderation that some appreciated, and some detested.  The actual moderation concepts are similar between Social and Nth (no surprise, since hungryghost was instrumental in both), but the line on what moderators considered  appropriate and "disruptive" behavior was drawn more tightly here.  Exactly where the points should be, on either forum, isn't always popular with every user-- but it seems obvious to me that it had to be more strictly enforced here than at Nth.

Maybe that difference boils down to "As many as possible should feel welcome and comfortable here" (Social) as opposed to "all are welcome here as long as it doesn't get too far out of hand" (Nth Circle). . 

I don't remember the exact time when RingPlus added advertising to this forum, but it was reasonably late, as a way of monetizing the forum.   (And is probably critical for Social to remain available at this point.)

Since RingPlus no longer has a vested interest in making sure no member is offended by discussion here, it's likely that moderation policies would be less strict in some ways if Social became more active, and possibly more strict in other ways.  The rule on Social was that Volunteer Members were pretty much free to set forum policies, with RingPlus maintaining "rights of refusal". 

I might add another advantage to the Nth Circle Forum-- an active admin.  Moderators here have access to some admin functions, but not to others.  For example, mods here cannot revise the forum menu, can not pin (or unpin) threads, cannot tweak forum settings.   Those were always handled by a RingPlus employee.  I don't know if someone is still assigned that duty.  It was never as responsive to needed/desired changes as Nth has been.
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 126
    edited November 8
    Nth Circle's forum server is way faster in response / load time than R+'s.
  • alsals Pro 11
    edited November 9
    @PDFfile ; Further thoughts,
     It's hard to  determine, and a conundrum at that,
     When expressing ones opinion,poking gentle fun, tweaking the tigers tail, playing devils advocate, using irony or sarcasm that may be completely evident to the poster, making reference and taking a subject off topic cause the inference is irresistible, we inevitably make it difficult and frustrating for users jut looking for a solution. 
    Unfortunately my silly fun may  interfere with your search for useful relevant information that you need to solve a problem now.
     And what is funny and lighthearted to me , may be seriously offensive to someone else.
     It's easy to recommend that we all develop a thick skin and tolerance on forums, but what one may see as a serious insult, might be seen as merely a passing comment by someone else.
    The joy is that we can interact , acquire useful information and have a lot of fun.

KentE and als:

Thanks much for your great comments on the two Forums. It would appear that now there aren’t any significant differences between the Forums, except moderation. And I have come to the conclusion that some type of moderation is essential for any forum. I hope the Ringplus forum becomes more active again. It has much to offer. And it is now the only forum where I will interact.
    @PDFfile ;  There are other forum options as well.   You're probably familiar with them, but, just in case:
    HowardForums has been well respected for a long time for technical discussion & user help across a range of carriers and MVNOs.   There isn't much 'general interest' discussion, although they have a Lounge category.  .I don't really know about how moderation there works, but threads seem to keep pretty tightly focused.
    .http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php

Slickdeals can offer good technical advise, but it usually only appears if a phone deal or service promo thread exists.   Discussion can get badly bogged down by disagreements, and threads become very repetitive.  (It's seems standard to ask a question without reading previous posts,  where the answer has already been provided multiple times.)

There are several great tech forums like xdadevelopers-- a lot of the discussion is over my head, and it's generally focused on phone modifications.   Provider-specific forums can be an assist with tech issues, but don't seem to offer much camaraderie. 

There are probably others that I'm not aware of   (Feel free to share if you know one!)

What makes Nth special is that the membership is based around folks who already felt like they had a connection with each other, largely through Social-- and that "off-topic" threads can advance the feeling of camaraderie through those topics.  (eg, the thread about watching the eaglets.......   but there's also the risk of an off-topic thread becoming divisive.) 

• alsals Pro 11
    edited November 11

@Soteria1 :" Jeez, I need some eggnog."

NO DOUBT!

It is still a bit early for eggnog, but I can suggest  a sip of some outstanding,  traditional , smooth white lightning,
    . :)
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    edited November 12
    Wow this is sad.  Sorry to see you banned.  If you want back in I will start an organized protest as I am sure we can persuade him of his error!!  
    als
  • alsals Pro 11
    I'm in.
     Re-Instate Soteria1!
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    edited November 13
    Apparently no appeals  :(