How do I transfer minutes to another persons Tracfone account without losing my number

Has anyone successfully transferred minutes to another persons  Tracfone account recently?
When I opened my account, it was an option, as easy as checking the box and designating the phone number.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• KentEKentE Moderator 167
    @als ;  Can you give more details on exactly what you're trying to accomplish?
    Do you have 2 active Tracfones?  Are they on the same online account?
    Do you specifically need to save either number?

Tracfone's standard policy is that a transfer of 'stuff' must include the minutes, times, and phone number.  (You can't transfer only minutes, for example) 
    For the last few years, there's also been a policy that you can't combine the minutes and time from 2 different phones onto a single phone.  I think I've seen a couple of recent reports that indicate customer service might do this for you, though.

There is also an out-of-the-box workaround that might help you, depending on exactly what you need to do with the current phone number, etc.
  • alsals Pro 11
    @KentE.
    Thanks!
     I'm not stuck on doing this one particular way. I just want to maximize my bang for the buck while keeping both numbers.

I have 2 active Tracfones, and no online account.
    Both are dumbphones.

Phone A has 32 service days and 942 minutes remaining. Phone A  is the 'heavy' users' phone.This phone and number must remain available because  the phone is wonderful for the  hard of hearing user. and must remain available with the current number.

Phone B has 40 service days and 542 minutes.
     I  must keep both numbers ..

I purchased a QVC  smartphone flip-phone with one year 1200/1200/1200 bucket, which I have not activated yet.

Ideally I would like to :

1) transfer 500 minutes from phone B to phone A, then
    Buy a $10 tracfone card and purchase the one year  $50 add on. thus leaving phone A active for another year with +/_ 1500 minutes

2)Phone A. Transfer  remaining balance ( about 40 minutes), AND PHONE NUMBER to the new QVC smartphone.

Thanks for the  link to Turk Forum I spent 2 hours studying  the thread this morning and still haven't wrapped my head around all of it.
     I'm not stuck on doing this one particular way. I just want to maximize my bang for the buck while keeping both numbers
    Thanks again :)

edited November 5
    If you haven't gotten that far,
    most of 2) is easy enough.
    Transferring minutes and time from an active phone to the QVC bundle phone is easy enough-- just follow the steps precisely as recommended in the Turk forum.  Especially note the suggestion to do it via Chat, so that all balances can be confirmed and not lost in the transfer.

Is there a typo in the steps above?
    Looks like you're adding a year of time to Phone A twice  (once from the supersize option, and once from the QVC bundle), and adding almost all the minutes to phone A.

I should probably draw a diagram, but it looks like phone B ends up with 40 days and 42 minutes........ and phone A with +/- 2700 minutes and a little over 2 years of service.
    Is that right?

Or is the goal to end up with each phone having roughly 1200 minutes, and another year of service?

Thinking through this.....  the dumb phone that's easy to hear is a complication........I understand the need, just that it makes the process harder to accomplish through a different route......

Phone B is also a dumb phone?  Are you okay with it being a smartphone?

Another Tracfone rule-- you can easily upgrade from a dumb phone to a feature phone, but it's not quite as easy to go the other way.  
  • alsals Pro 11
    @KentE Thank You!
    Thinking through this.....  the dumb phone that's easy to hear is a complication........I understand the need, just that it makes the process harder to accomplish through a different route....
    Yes I am stumped... looking for ideas...

Is there a typo in the steps above?
    Looks like you're adding a year of time to Phone A twice  (once from the supersize option, and once from the QVC bundle), and adding almost all the minutes to phone A.

Yes ,Thank You , My TYPO !
    The idea is to give 500 unneeded extra minutes from  phone B to phone A, then transfer    THE PHONE NUMBER from  PHONE B to the new QVC smart flipphone

Phone B is also a dumb phone?  Are you okay with it being a smartphone?

YES! Phone B  is a dumbphone. Phone B can be anything.. Phone B  only used 350 combined minutes text and web last 12 months. I don't anticipate major usage changes next year lacking an emergency

Another Tracfone rule-- you can easily upgrade from a dumb phone to a feature phone, but it's not quite as easy to go the other way.  

That is why I'd like to donate 500 minutes from phone B to phone A BEFORE I activate and transfer to the new QVC smartphone
    edited November 7
    @als 
    Stumbling blocks:
    There's no stated policy of allowing you to transfer part of the minutes/time from one phone to another, and the general consensus from my reading is that even a call or Chat with CS probably won't allow it.   Can't hurt to ask, though, and definitely the least-hassle method. (see mention below of saving a record of the Chat.)   If they say yes, great.  If they say no, maybe one of the options below will work.

As you mention, you can change from dumbphone to smartphone at will, but changing from smartphone back to dumbphone will normally result in the loss of all minutes, and only service days will transfer.

I haven't seen a bundled offer on a dumb  phone in almost a year, so a bundle upgrade on the dumb phone isn't likely.

Best deal for accomplishing a year of time & +/- 1000 minutes via standard routes is about $80 (without being able to redestribute minutes).  For an alternative route to make sense, the cost + time/hassle has to be lower than that.
    (Note:  see a slightly cheaper 'traditional' method under Option 3)

Just some thoughts here, but routes that might work if CS says no to a partial transfer of minutes between phones.:Each method has some "gotcha". 

Option 1:
       a.   Via Chat, ask if you can combine the minutes and time from 2 phones into a single phone & keep only one of the phones active. Make sure you say that you want to merge Phone B's minutes & days to phone A, and keep the phone A number.  If Chat says yes, ask for a ticket reference #, and click on the box to email yourself a transcript of the chat.  Do that twice.  And cut-&-paste the conversation in a document & save it.  (All those steps guarantee you have a record of what you were told.)
       b.  Open an online account at Tracfone.  I think it'll work best to put both of these phones in one account.
       c.  Port the number you need to keep from phone B to a different provider.  Use the cheapest route you can find.  SpeedTalk or TPO cheapest plan, or FreedomPop if you can't find another route for less than the $10 FP will charge to port in. 
      d.  After the number from phone B is successfully ported out, a Tracfone line does not automatically close-- it's just in suspended mode & can be revived without losing time or minutes.  Go to your online account, and reactivate Phone B with a brand new Tracfone supplied number.  There's no charge for this, but.....  if the current phone is a VZW phone, you won't need a new SIM.  If it's GSM (AT&T or T-Mo)  phone, you'll have to get a new SIM.   Tracfone should send you one for no charge.   You may see a section that seems to indicate you need to add a minutes card to do this, but just click through it:  you do not need to, as long as you have both minutes and time remaining.
      e.  Now, have Chat merge the 2 lines, as they told you they would earlier.  If you get an agent that says they can't, refer them to the ticket # & chat transcript you have.
       f.  Activate the QVC phone as a new line, and porting original number from phone B back into this line during activation.   (No charge for porting in.)  

(Analysis:  a lot of steps to save $20 less the cost of porting out the number on phone B  )

Option 2:
      caveat:  this only works if AT&T or T-Mo coverage would be acceptable for phone A.). 
    a.  instead o buying the $60  card plus supersize option, buy another promo bundle like the $60 Rebel 2 bundle on HSN, smartphone plus 1200 minutes/ 1 year.
    b.  If your QVC smart-flip is on AT&T towers, transfer phone A to the QVC. (Only because it makes step 6 easier and quicker.)   Otherwise, just activate both bundled phones by transfering phone A to one bundle, and phone B to the other  Both lines now have over 1200 minutes, and 1 year of service. 
    c.   Replace the easy-to-hear phone with the closest equivalent that is AT&T branded.  (Most Tracfone-specific models are slightly stripped versions of the same pone offered by VZW or AT&T.   You can finance this purchase on the backend by selling the mint Tracfone smartphone from the bundle.
    d.  Get a Tracfone BYOP A&T SIM (typically $1), install it in the AT&T replacement-easy-to-hear pone, and swap it into Line A.
        (Note:  the older BYOP SIM kits had triple-minutes-for-life:  the new ones can only use Smartphone plans, and may limit your options next year.   If you look around, you can find an older TMFL SIM kit that will let you use the 'standard' refill cards.
        (Note 2:  you can't reuse your existing Phone A this way, because for Tracfone-branded GSM dumbphones, the original SIM and ESN are permanently linked together:  You can't use a VZW based dumb phone with a BYOP SIM, since they don't use SIMs.)

(Analysis:  probably the cheapest way to reach your goal, but considerably more hassle.)

Option 3
      Target has a promo on TF cards, buy one, get 20% off the second.  They're emailed codes, so no shipping.  Buy 4 cards $20 cards (60 minute/90 days), total $72 plus tax?   Assuming your Phone A is TMFL, this gives 720 minutes plus a year.  Leverage bonus promo codes from Turk forum for bonuses totaling +/- 240 minutes over the 4 cards, for 960 minutes total. 

(Analysis:  $12 more than the $10 card + supersize option, but guaranteed to work, and painless  Cheaper than buying the 1200 min/1 year card, but yields fewer minutes..)

(Sorry about the font/text size-- copy and paste, and I can't quite get it right......)

• alsals Pro 11
    edited November 12
    @KentE
    It worked!!!!! I got a  competent, courteous, sympathetic rep.
    Both phone numbers were retained AND Phone A got the extra un-needed minutes from phone B
    Thank You !!!!
    It worked !!!!!!! I was able to transfer the minutes from phone B to phone A. The rep de-activated phone B,
    then the rep immediately activated the new QVC phone with phone B's number.
    Result PERFECT!
    Both phone numbers were retained AND Phone A got the extra un-needed minutes from phone B
    Thanks ALL!!!!!!!!
    I'm glad to hear it worked for you!
      I'd be tempted to try this myself in the future, but I have a feeling that your personal charm might have been a critical component in getting this done......

@als ;  Would you consider copy/pasting your full description form Nth here, just so the thread has the details?
    (Spoiler alert:  persistence pays off!)
  • alsals Pro 11
    edited November 12
    :) (SMILE)
    With help and guidance ..from nth circle. Turk forums and Ringplus members, I
     was able to approach Tracfone customer service ,

Re; giving my extra time to another family Tracfone subscriber and  then being able to absolutely keep  my existing two phone numbers.
     Here is how it all got started, with my first question to nth forum members
    Hi all.
    Since nth circle members have a wealth of knowledge I thought I'd ask before I go blundering off to call customer service.

How do I transfer 500 minutes to a different individuals Tracfone without losing my number?

What Is the cheapest way to extend service on a Tracfone for one year if I still have plenty of minutes and want to keep the same device?

Thanks in advance.
     Report This
    1 week 1 day ago -  1 week 1 day ago #15007
    The following user(s) said Thank You: coffeenema
     Report This
    • als
    • alss AvatarTOPIC AUTHOR
    • Cans+String
    • CansString
    1 week 23 hours ago #15046
    Has anyone successfully transferred minutes to anyone elses' tracfone account recently?
    When I opened my account, it was an option, as easy as checking the box and designating the phone number.
    Thanks Isamorph!
     Report This
    1 week 22 hours ago #15053

als wrote: Has anyone successfully transferred minutes to anyone elses' tracfone account recently?
    Thanks Isamorph!

I haven't fiddled around with Tracfone for some time, but it used to be if one had 2 or 3 Tracfones on the your account, one could transfer all the minutes from one phone to another, but the number, I think, had to be transferred as well. I'm not sure if your speaking of transferring minutes between Tracfones on one account or between Tracfones on different accounts, and , if the latter, I was never aware of that possibility. You should be able to Google for a n answer to your question. Here's a link from 2014 that may be of help.
    www.prepaidphonenews.com/2014/08/tracfone-no-longer-allowing-users-to.html
    The following user(s) said Thank You: alscoffeenema
     Report This
    • als
    • Cans+String
    • CansString
    1 week 21 hours ago #15055
    Oh!
    Good idea. We have tracfones, (thank you Extra Terrestrial Zoologist) but don't have a current account. Maybe that should be my first step.
    Thanks.
     Report This
    1 week 18 hours ago -  1 week 18 hours ago #15060
    The current Tracfone policy is that you can only transfer the days, minutes, and phone number together to another phone. You can't 'donate' minutes from one active phone to another.
    But.... things change, and sometimes CS will do something for you if you ask.
    The best source for tough questions about Tracfone is the Turk Forums at
    http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/index/ 
    Turk moderates pretty tightly, and will place new posts as part of pre-existing threads on a similar subject-- so when reading there, skip through enough pages in a thread until you get to recent posts.

als, I'm a little confused about exactly what you're trying to accomplish, since you said you don't have a Tracfone account........
    I might be able to offer a route to accomplish what you're trying to do........

Is your goal to save your current phone number, but use it somewhere other than Tracfone? (and save the minutes/time from that same phone to use on a different tracfone?

Do you have more than one currently active Tracfone?
     Report This
    • als
    • Cans+String
    • CansString
    6 days 12 hours ago -  6 days 12 hours ago #15117
    @KentE
    Thanks for the link to the forum. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the info there.
    We have 2 Tracfones expiring soon.
    No online Tracfone accounts
    Two phone numbers we must keep
    One phone which works for a hard of hearing individual which we must keep.
    One new QVC smart flip-phone currently unactivated
    2 balances of 500 and 1,00 minutes which we'd like to combine and roll over, into the old flip phone which works well for the hard of hearing person,
    and then activate the new smart flip phone for the "lite" user who couldn't care less what kind of phone it is. and usually needs less than 300 minutes per year.
    How in the heck do we accomplish all this?
     Report This
    5 days 3 hours ago -  5 days 2 hours ago #15189

als wrote: @KentE
    Thanks for the link to the forum. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the info there.
    We have 2 Tracfones expiring soon.
    No online Tracfone accounts
    Two phone numbers we must keep
    One phone which works for a hard of hearing individual which we must keep.
    One new QVC smart flip-phone currently unactivated
    2 balances of 500 and 1,00 minutes which we'd like to combine and roll over, into the old flip phone which works well for the hard of hearing person,
    and then activate the new smart flip phone for the "lite" user who couldn't care less what kind of phone it is. and usually needs less than 300 minutes per year.
    How in the heck do we accomplish all this?

Make a TF account for each device.

Which exact phones do you currently have activated on TF?

Hopefully the phones in question are both CDMA (VZW) and basic feature phones? If not, your chances are slim to none because CDMA does not require a SIM card change.

There is a lot to go wrong here and your chance at success is at best 50/50 even if they are CDMA.

Trying to transfer a balance over to a currently activated device is a feat to begin with, keeping the number associated with the transferred units is probably unlikely.
    Feature phones are a different animal, I know with Smart Phones if you try to transfer service over to another smart phone you wipe the phone number and current units off that device.

The best bet I see would be to port out the one number you want to keep to another service and reactivate the current phone with a new number keeping the current days/units on the device. It is best to go to chat to facilitate this. You can later port back that number into the new TF phone.

Go to chat and choose technical support.
    Have the chat agent document the days of service and units for the device you want to port out from.
    Tell C/S that you want to port out and reactivate the current phone keeping your units and air time.
    Ask for a ticket number, click to e-mail the chat conversation to yourself and also copy and paste the conversation to your comp.

Once you port out you should be able to reactivate the device on the TF website with a new number keeping your days/units. If not you will need to go back to chat and get them to add the service back to the device, why you want to get that documented.

Now that you have an expendable number you can go back to chat and ask to combine the units with your other TF, get everything documented. If the chat agent does not want to do this then close the chat and try another chat agent.

You can try the same with a GSM device but you will need to wait for TF to send you a new SIM for each transfer.

KentE Turk forum post if you did not locate it
    s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single/?p=604133&t=8151937 

You might also take this question over to the Howard Forums TF Board as well. There may be a better approach than what I describe.
    www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/330-Tracfone-Net10?s=4d2afa431d8578614dbd3031821db99e 

als wrote: What Is the cheapest way to extend service on a Tracfone for one year if I still have plenty of minutes and want to keep the same device?

When you add the devices to a TF account you can extend the service by 365 days for $50. Click on "buy service plan" under the device you want to extend service for and choose a service plan. Click one time purchase. Then on the check out page under "More for your phone" check the box next to 365 Extra service days. Then go to the green garbage can next to the airtime to delete it and then continue to purchase the Extra service days.

You must add a CC to your account to purchase air time, but you can remove it afterwards if you do nit want to leave a cc on the account.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: KentEals
     Report This
    4 days 7 hours ago #15213

The_Uncomfortable_Truth wrote:

als wrote: What Is the cheapest way to extend service on a Tracfone for one year if I still have plenty of minutes and want to keep the same device?
    When you add the devices to a TF account you can extend the service by 365 days for $50. Click on "buy service plan" under the device you want to extend service for and choose a service plan. Click one time purchase. Then on the check out page under "More for your phone" check the box next to 365 Extra service days. Then go to the green garbage can next to the airtime to delete it and then continue to purchase the Extra service days.

I have seen the 'supersize' option mentioned many times in different forums as a way of extending service time for a year. Yours is the first mention I've seen that it's possible to remove the refill card from the cart, and I didn't know it was possible. Thanks!

• als
    • Cans+String
    • CansString
    3 days 20 hours ago #15292
    Thanks all, there are many ways to 'skin a cat' and I'm learning , learning ,learning. currently on overload.
    @The_Uncomfortable_Truth "The best bet I see would be to port out the one number you want to keep to another service and reactivate the current phone with a new number keeping the current days/units on the device. It is best to go to chat to facilitate this. You can later port back that number into the new TF phone."
    I think that that may be the step I just wan't getting all along.
    How the heck is it possible, ( what are the steps?) to port out a number and then re-activate the phone.
    Nest question. How do I port a number to a (already active) TF?
     Report This
    3 days 2 hours ago -  3 days 2 hours ago #15355

als wrote: Thanks all, there are many ways to 'skin a cat' and I'm learning , learning ,learning. currently on overload.
    @The_Uncomfortable_Truth "The best bet I see would be to port out the one number you want to keep to another service and reactivate the current phone with a new number keeping the current days/units on the device. It is best to go to chat to facilitate this. You can later port back that number into the new TF phone."
    I think that that may be the step I just wan't getting all along.
    How the heck is it possible, ( what are the steps?) to port out a number and then re-activate the phone.
    Nest question. How do I port a number to a (already active) TF?

I thought I had explained what to do in my post and it is also explained in the link I provided to KentE's post on Turk forum. It can be confusing.

You said you had 2 current active phones and one inactivated that I assume is bundled with service time. Are these 2 phones both feature phones and are they CDMA(VZ) or GSM?

In a nut shell:

1) Phone #1 for the hard of hearing stays activated.

2) Port out of phone #2 to another service (I guess we need a separate discussion for the best/cheapest way to do so) You really need to contact chat to document your current service.
    If these are feature phones then you should note both parameter 0 and parameter 30 on the phone. (under menu should have code entry mode > enter *#0 note number > ok > enter *#30 note number > ok.)

3) Reactivate second phone with new number retaining original days/units. (Kent posted he was able to do this using the website rather than C/S)

4) Contact TF C/S ( I believe Chat is the best way to go) and attempt to to get TF C/S to transfer the days/units over to phone #1

5) Follow the path to activate the new QVC phone and port the number you ported out from phone #2 into that one.

You can always try #2 without porting out, but the device will be deactivated and it is my concern you have a probability of losing the number.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

I assume being a former R+ sub you have a Sprint phone laying around, so Tello might be a cheap way to port the number over to.
     Report This
    • als
    • Cans+String
    • CansString
    6 hours 34 minutes ago -  5 hours 59 minutes ago #15497
    Thanks ALL!!!!!!!! (BIG HUGE GRIN!)
    The help, extensive step by step intsructions, were INVALUABLE.
    I know I asked repetitive questions, but the light finally came on.
    It worked!!!!! I got a competent, courteous, sympathetic rep.
    Thank You !!!!
    It worked !!!!!!! I was able to transfer the minutes from phone B to phone A. The rep de-activated phone B,
    then the rep immediately activated the new QVC phone with phone B's number.
    Result PERFECT!
    Thanks ALL!!!!!!!!
     Report This
    5 hours 48 minutes ago #15502
    Wow, als-- great! I did not have high hopes for the unit transfers. I am certain that your clear explanation of what you wanted to accomplish was as important as having that competent, courteous, and sympathetic rep.

Did you do this via phone, or via online Chat?

I know it wasn't that critical in your case, but did the remaining airtime on Phone B stay on phone B, or transfer with the minutes to Phone A?
    The following user(s) said Thank You: als
     Report This

Quick Reply

Subject:
    Check this box to be notified of replies to this topic.
    als, I think your persistence in following up was a big part of your success!

From your posts elsewhere, I think the first Chat agent told you the unit transfer between phones wasn't possible.

A follow-up call, likely with the Executive Resolutions department, found an agent that was willing to bend the rules a little to make this happen.  You moved 'uphill' to an agent that had the authority to make it work for you. It was helpful that you stuck with the path in asking again, and that agent deserves some credit for being willing to listen and see how this made sense both for you, and for Tracfone in retaining a happy customer.
    als