Where has everyone landed?

alsals Pro 11
edited August 2 in General Discussions
What is the best budget cell phone provider you have found since ringplus's demise? 

Comments

• I ended up with Twigby, which is on the Sprint network.  I'm on their 200 min / 150 MB / unlimited text plan for $12/mo (plus taxes/fees).  They include roaming on Verizon for no extra charge, you can throttle your data usage and/or set up overage protection, and their customer service via chat or e-mail is fantastic.  All that makes it well worth their slightly higher monthly fee, at least for me. 
  • I ended up at Tello.  I'm paying about $7.50/month.  I have unlimited texting, 250mb data @ 4G then unlimited throttled, and pay as you go phone at $0.03/minute.
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    @als ;  Of course, there is no "best budget" cell phone provider-- it's very dependent on your exact needs (both coverage, usage patterns, and needs for CS or flexible options for porting, swapping, etc.).  The more details you can give here about your needs and usage patterns, the more likely you'll receive useful suggestions

I've followed your discussion a little on the Nth Forum, and I think your usage patterns and needs are a little out of the norm.  It's highly likely that you'll get a number of suggestions for what others have found "best budget" providers, but they may not fit your pattern. 

If I understand correctly, do you have periods with essentially zero usage, followed by periods that most of us would consider "very light" usage?  And I believe you've mentioned that Sprint coverage does not work well for you?

If that's correct, here's an out-of-the-box possibility:  Port your numbers to Google Voice, which would allow you to keep the same number on tap.  When you have zero usage periods, rely only on Google Hangouts.  During periods when you need cell service, get the best plan that makes sense with little or no activation cost, and forward your GV number to the new carrier-assigned number for the period you need local cellular service.  Cancel that line when you're looking at a new period with zero usage.........

• chatmsdchatmsd MVP 23
    edited August 2
    Myself and my two friends are now with Tello PayGo plan.  We are very happy with Tello.  For those who use data and calls lightly Tello Paygo plan is the way to go.  Not so if you are a heavy data and call user.
  • Cellnuvo is true cell service (not VOIP) and has one of the best rate for prepaid text & voice for light cell user.

You got two options (pay as needed or earn free service):

1.  Buy as needed, for $10 (they call it 9000 silver), you get any combination of 3000 text (1/3 cent/text) or 450 (2 cents/minute) minutes or 450MB (2 cents/mb).
    2.  Earn free silvers by watch ad, do survey, or download games.
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    edited August 3
    Main phone is on twigby but I will probably end that in a couple of months since cellnuvo is working out.  

Cellnuvo for free service on sprint.  I have years of service built up now.    Cheaper than tello if you pay for service too for talk/text.  I like that it has verizon roaming too.

Tpo $6.99 plan 250min/250texts/250lte with unlimited 2g. Tmobile.  

I also have a couple of tello lines but haven't really used them.  One is an emergency line.
  • BatmanBatman Novice 0
    edited August 4
    Cricket,  
    4 lines for $ 100   5th line free!
    4gb + unlimited 128 k after
    unlimited talk and text. 
    they sent me 5 phones for free that I was able to sell for  300 because we already had i phones that work with any carrier
    signed up during a promotion that offered 50 dollars credit per line x 5  250 + 300 for phones
    + 25 dollar referral credit = 575 ,      = six months free    and 20 per line for 5 lines after , tax included 
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 127
    edited August 4
    We now have a mix of Tello (4 devices), FreedomPop LTE (ATT) (2 devices), FreedomPop Global SIM (T-Mo?) (1 devices), & CellNuvo (3 devices). Although the foregoing adds up to 10, there are actually only 9 devices, because 1 device is on both Tello & FP LTE, though it does require swapping SIMs to go from 1 to the other. On a side note, we have no device on FP's Sprint service.
    In the immediate family, we have 1 x Tello (hybrid plan with PayGo voice),  1 x CellNuvo, 1 x Sprint Unlimited Free BYO, 2 x Tracfone (one each on AT&T and VZW netwoks, as backup and for traveling out of area), and a few FreedomPop devices (all for backup and occasional data needs, and to satisfy my apparent need to play with devices, but not as primary phones.)
      In the extended family, a couple of more with Tello, 1 on Sprint Unlimited Free BYO, and 1 on Ting.  (The Ting line will move to somewhere else this month.  It was 2 lines on one Ting account, as the 2 users meshed well enough to make sense.on Ting-- with changing needs, one of those 2 lines is moving to the Sprint plan, and that will force the remaining Ting line to find a new provider......most likely Tello or CellNuvo.)  

Our choice of providers has been limited by the devices we had on hand.  I'm hoping to be able to broaden our carrier/provider options in the future.

@Batman said:
    Cricket,  
    4 lines for $ 100   5th line free!
    Nice parlay on your setup! (partial quote, for brevity.)

• Bought a cheap iPhone 5C from eBay @ 60$, port in to Sprint to get Sprint Free Year Deal. It is unlimited everything and costs like 3.92$ taxes/line/month.

http://imgur.com/a/BWbct

Pulling crazy 20+ Mbps and I used like 47 Gb last month
  • RidetheBusRidetheBus Novice 0
    Currently, I have one line on Tello (pay as you go) and one on AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone; $45 for unlimited talk/text/6 GB highspeed data; I use Callingmart and their semi-regular discount codes to make it $40.50/mo. :) ). Family has been with Consumer Cellular continuously since either 1998 or 1999 and won't budge.

I have the AT&T Prepaid line due to changed personal needs for both the increased data as well as AT&T coverage. I may or may not switch that line at the 6-month mark in November, especially if someone has a prepaid port-in Black Friday deal that's too good to pass up.
  • JandAJandA MVP 24
    I moved both of my lines to Tello back in February on pure PAYG.  To date my charges have been $6.37 for one phone and $4.92 for the other.  That's total for almost 6 months.  Guess that makes me a pretty light user for which I've found Tello to be a perfect fit.
    @JandA said:
    I moved both of my lines to Tello back in February on pure PAYG.  To date my charges have been $6.37 for one phone and $4.92 for the other.  That's total for almost 6 months. 
    I would guess that at $0.82/month, you're not Tello's (or anybody's) ideal "target" customer.  It's really nice that you've found a plan that's such a good fit!

• quondam_fiquondam_fi Novice 1
    TPO 7.99 unl/unl/100 (then unl 2g)
    SpeedTalk 2.99 100/100/100
    Tello PAYG
  • IsamorphIsamorph MVP 27
    edited August 7
    CellNuvo=1 phone at zero cost thus far.
    Tello=2 phones on Paygo=$20-$10 promo=$10
    Tracfone=have been rolling over for several years.
    TPO=$ 7.99+$1.04tax=$9.03 monthly for unlimited talk/text+100mbp>throttled
    Truphone=Free incoming calls on dual sim phone---$30 for sim= $15 credit
    Speedtalk=$30 for 6 months with rollover of 750/or750/or750 used for outgoing calls on dual sim phone
    Truphone= $30 for sim with -$-15 credit...used for free incoming calls for home phone with GV. Use Obi+cordless phone and GV for free outgoing calls.
  • sotxboysotxboy Novice 0
    edited August 7
    Speedtalk ... $9.99/month  for 500min/500texts/750mb. T-mobile network.  Promo plan not now available.
    Cellnuvo rarely used, free.
  • I need unlimited talk/text.  First went to Twigby.  Now I am with Mint Sim.  Would strongly consider Sprint free year of service (they keep extending the promotion), but not sure I am eligible since I already have a Sprint phone.
    Other carriers to consider for unlimited talk/text for me:  TPO and Teltik (need business account).
  • sovashadowsovashadow MVP 24
    edited August 9
    Currently rocking a hangouts number with truphone number as forwarding with an additional FP LTE sim (ATT).

Side Note: For anyone who is still tied on the sprint spectrum, regardless if its directly or through MVNO, I am honestly surprised. I know there are always two sides of the story, but after what they did to RP, I will probably never do business with them again. My opinion still stands even after knowing about their free year of service with no further obligations after the first year.
  • @sovashadow

"They" did not do anything to RP.  RP simply had a business model that didn't work.  There are more Sprint MNVOs operating than any other Big carrier.  So if the problem was with Sprint, all of them would've shutdown.
    @sleek-forest-green-wavy-journey-828418 said:
    "They" did not do anything to RP.  RP simply had a business model that didn't work.  There are more Sprint MNVOs operating than any other Big carrier.  So if the problem was with Sprint, all of them would've shutdown.

Well there was more to it than that.  It is hard to tell what really happened but it seems that both R+ and sprint went back on verbal agreements and had other battles.  

I don't think there is anything wrong with sprint and sprint mvnos in general.  R+ and sprint just didn't see eye to eye at the end and probably both had valid grievances.  Neither were innocent in my opinion.  

You could equally say that being with an ATT MVNO is bad after the way ATT treated harbor mobile customers.  Punish harbor mobile if they did something wrong but the customers deserved longer to port out. Just an unique situation at the end of the day with the two not seeing eye to eye.  
  • lexusl21lexusl21 Pro 13
    edited August 10
    Sprint is the cheapest for mnvos. That is why there is so many

The reason sprint is cheap?

1)  cheap infrastructure 
    2) lte us not as fast or in many places compared to others
    3) issues with voicemail app
    4) CMDA  not compatible with europe and i also believe Asia.
    Take a ride to Canada and no service.
    5) signal strength inside building s is terrible compared to others
    6) infrastructure is so bad that they want customers to put boxes in there house to be mini towers lol

I am sure others can add more

So sprint has so much extra bandwith they give it away cheap to mnvos.    Similar  to what priceline does with hotel rooms

Imho
  • @mmfacemm said:
    You could equally say that being with an ATT MVNO is bad after the way ATT treated harbor mobile customers.  Punish harbor mobile if they did something wrong but the customers deserved longer to port out. Just an unique situation at the end of the day with the two not seeing eye to eye.  

I sit corrected, you make a very valid point @mmfacemm, at least most if not all of us were able to get our numbers out...
    @sovashadow said:
    Side Note: For anyone who is still tied on the sprint spectrum, regardless if its directly or through MVNO, I am honestly surprised. I know there are always two sides of the story, but after what they did to RP, I will probably never do business with them again.

I harbor certain ill will towards Sprint, too.  It's not a simple thing to migrate most of "my folks" away from Sprint, though, especially in a relatively short period of time.  Of 10+ users, only 2 had phones that could be used on any other carrier (other than Tracfones, for the very low-end users):  and these are budget users, with budget phones.  I've looked longingly at some of the GSM or Verizon MVNO promos that have been offered here-- it'll probably have to happen one user at a time, as phones and deals become available.

• PromozePromoze All Star 125
    I have had only Tello since having to leave R+.  It's been working out great.  I'm a low cellular voice and sms user, and I have wifi internet at home and work, so my data usage is very low as well.  I have not had to add any $ to my PAYG since I signed up.   Some family members are on a low cost Tello plan or PAYG as well.
    jamielih
    Long time no see.  Seems like Tello really worked out for you @Promoze.