Tello new customer: free data for a month.

KentEKentE Moderator 168
Tello has a post over in the Deals section with a repeat of a previous offer of free data for a month for new customers.  If you're thinking about moving to Tello, it might be a good time to do so.
https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/12200/tello-offers-free-data-with-any-plan#latest

Comments

• No a good deal. Only month free  :(
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    @grass-fed-aqua-matte-flag-521064 said:
    No a good deal. Only month free
    Although true that the free data is only for the first month, I don't think this keeps it from being a good deal.  A lot of folks have moved to Tello because their standard rates are very flexible, and can be some of the lowest industry pricing for the right combination of needs.  If that standard rate (available everyday) has already been identified as a "good deal" by a lot of members at this forum and other forums, it seems to me that anything that sweetens the standard offer, even if only for a single month, is by definition still a "good deal". 

Tello may not be a good fit for some users (especially high data users), and the "deal" might not qualify as a "slick deal" on the SD forum (where the standard seems to be a better offer than has ever been offered before)-- but it's still a "good deal". 

• DavidDavid Novice 3

I just activated a new Moto E4 under this deal. I ran into a small issue I'd like to point out to everyone.

I selected a plan with no minutes and no texts AND I didn't add any Pay As You Go balance.  Under those circumstances, the phone cannot make\receive calls or send\receive texts.  The phone gets programmed fine, but without any plan minutes or PayGo balance, calling and texting are disabled.  I added $10 in PayGo, and all is good.

• KentEKentE Moderator 168
    @David said:
    I selected a plan with no minutes and no texts AND I didn't add any Pay As You Go balance. 
    Yep, that's the way it would work.  A lot of folks here have set up similar "hybrid" plans to suit their needs, and it's one of the things that makes Tello attractive.

They could make the process of setting up a plan that way easier, though!   When I signed up a few months ago, there was no way to do it in one step.  The account had to be set up originally as a "plan" minus whatever bucket you wanted to do by-the-unit, and then come back later and add the Pay-As-You-Go funds.
      Don't forget to go into your account settings and choose what you want to allow the PayGo balance to be used for. Most folks with a similar plan would probably allow Pay-Go usage only on voice/text, and not on data.  If you exceed your data bucket, you get 2G fallback included, so most opt to not allow PayGo overages for data.  (You can always turn it back on later if you need to.)