SOLVED - Moto E4 on Freedompop as a Sprint CDMA device.

DavidDavid Novice 3

I am trying to get a new Motorola Moto E4 onto Freedompop as a Sprint CDMA device.  FP accepted the MEID and happily made an account with the phone in it.  I bought the SIM SIMOLW416Q, inserted it and powered up the phone.  I get "Invalid SIM" error and the phone fails to activate after it's 5 attempts.  FP website show a red strip when viewing the account and the FP app gives error code 303.

I am thinking that I may have the wrong SIM card.  I think that I should be using SIMGLW416Q.  I am going to get one later this week and try it out.

Until I get the SIM, I was wondering if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions.

I'm sort of a phone novice, so I would appreciate if someone could clarify a couple questions I have.

I have a LG volt Sprint device on FP.  The phone has a SIM card.  With the SIM installed 4G, 3G and cell all work.  -  Without the SIM installed, 3G and cell work but 4G does not. So, it seems that the only thing the SIM in doing in the phone is allowing for 4G data connections.

Should the Moto E4 behave in the same manner an the LG volt?  i.e. Can the moto e be used as a Sprint device without having a SIM installed and still have cell service and 3G data? OR Does the Moto E4 require a SIM card to be used at all?

EDIT - Finally got the phone mostly working on Freedompop - Use SIM SIMGLW416Q - Activate phone on Tello - Remove phone from Tello - Take phone through Freedompop's Sprint BYOD system - Premium voice and 3G data work - LTE NOT working yet

EDIT 2 - Did a factory reset of phone, LTE started working.  (Probably would not have had to do a factory reset if I could have found a way to reset the APN settings, but since I couldn't find a way to do just an APN reset, I went with the full factory reset.

Comments

• KentEKentE Moderator 167
    I believe the SIMOLW416Q and SIMGLW416Q are functionally identical-- at least, I read a discussion between several folks who seemed to know about it explain that the different letter code was only a different chip manufacturer,   One version usually comes pre-installed in phones, and the other is typically single-unit sales.  I think you have the right SIM, but I"d try replacing it, too.

You are correct that in dedicated Sprint-network phones, the SIM is only needed for LTE.  I would suspect that it's the same for the multi-carrier phones when they're on Sprint, but I'm not certain.

I'm curious-- when you signed up your phone with FreedomPop, did they ask for the ICCID?  (The SIM identifier number.)   It's been one of those mysteries to me that FP, and only FP in my experience, manages to activate Sprint-network phones without asking for the ICCID......  not sure how they know.  With a standard Sprint phone that's been activated before, I imagine they have access to the "last known" ICCID for a phone.  With a new multi-carrier phone (or at least new to Sprint network), that info wouldn't be in a database anywhere.

• DavidDavid Novice 3
    @KentE said:
    I believe the SIMOLW416Q and SIMGLW416Q are functionally identical

Yeah, I have read the same thing, but I figured for $3, I'd try anyways.
    @KentE said:
    when you signed up your phone with FreedomPop, did they ask for the ICCID?

No, the ICC ID was not asked for. Since it wasn't asked for, I figured I just wouldn't have 4G data and that I would need for FP to manually add it later.

I sort of wonder if the guys at BestBuy forgot to properly scan the phone when I picked it up.

• mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    edited July 17
    You need the GLW version as you suspect.  

I didn't even know an OLW version exisited.  Probably specific to the Samsung S8.  I have a feeling the G is generic or general.  Anyone know what the letters stand for?

Some older phones work without the LTE sim in there for 2G/3G but many newer ones do not.  I suspect the moto E4 won't work without the sim.  You'll need the sim in there to activate it at least.  
    I've always been amazed that FreedomPop activations 'usually' work without registering the ICCID.   I can't see how it works unless it refers back to a "last-known" ICCID in the Sprint database:  which does exist, because if you register a phone with Sprint postpaid, it will ask if you're still using "this" SIM card.
       But that process can't possibly work with a multi-carrier phone that has never previously been paired with a SIM in Sprint's database, or a Sprint phone that has a new SIM card.  The only way it could function for those phones is if the phone itself reports the installed SIM during activation, and that would make all of our lives easier-- so I'm reasonably confident it doesn't work that way.  ;)

I suspect that @mmfacemm may be correct that the SIM is a necessity for multi-carrier phones to activate. 

@David
    In the same position, I'd reach out immediately to FreedomPop and ask-- if you haven't downgraded the premium features yet, you should still have access to Premium Support-- it still might take a day or 2 if you use the online option.  If you've downgraded to the basic account already, then posting on the FP forum, or messaging the FP rep in one of the Slickdeals threads, will usually bring assistance in 2-3 days. 
  • DavidDavid Novice 3

Stopped by a local Sprint store today and told the fellow that I was trying activate this phone on Sprint MVNO but was unsure what SIM was needed.  He looked it up on his computer and it showed SIMGLW416Q (this happens to be the one I ordered online yesterday and am waiting for it to arrive).  I asked if that SIM was just for Sprint or if it would work for the MVNOs.  He said he wasn't 100% sure, but he was pretty sure that this SIM would work for both Sprint and Sprint's MVNO.

He pulled one out of a drawer, popped in my phone, turned it on, and ... "Invalid SIM" error.  At least I got the SIM for free though. I've factory reset the phone a couple times, but always get "Invalid SIM".

I have one of four scenarios I'm thinking about.  Which one seems most likely.

1) The phone is bad, and needs replaced (just got the phone from BestBuy last week, would they just swap it out for me?)

2) Somehow the Bestbuy people didn't properly scan the phone out, so it's activation attempts are being rejected?

3) The MEID\ESN is not in Sprint's whitelist, so it's activation attempts are being rejected?

4) Freedompop is just being flaky as hell with this phone model?

edited July 18
    Sounds like you have a dud there.  I would get a replacement from bestbuy - they should just replace it as it sounds defective or less likely they didn't scan it right.  Just tell them you took it to sprint and were receiving activation errors and would like a replacement.  It shouldn't have anything to do with freedompop - the sim should still be valid.  Also all these moto unlocked phones are sprint whitelisted.   

• DavidDavid Novice 3
    @mmfacemm said:
    Sounds like you have a dud there

Ok, I was mostly leaning that way, but, I just ran across some posts at Slickdeals regarding the Sprint BYOD 1 free year service and it looks likes a few people have ran into some of the scenarios I was wondering about.  BestBuy couldn't get an E4 to scan, so they entered it as all zeros, one person had to call Sprint to get the ESN\MEID manually added to their whitelist.

Looks like I'm gonna have a long day at BestBuy and a Sprint store tomorrow. 

Good luck!
  • DavidDavid Novice 3

I had some email back and forth with FP today.  They claim that the problem is that there it no ICCID associated with the phone.  So I provided them with the ICCIDs for the two SIM cards I have in hand (a SIMOLW416Q from Bestbuy and a SIMGLW416Q from the Sprint store).  They said that those ICCIDs didn't work, and asked me for the ICCID that is written on the device, under the battery.  I told them that this phone does not have an ICCID written on or associated with it. I send them the MEID and IMEI to double check, but haven't heard back yet.

For fun I went to Tello and TPO's website and did chat with Ting.  All three of them claim that the MEID and ICCIDs I gave them are good to go.  I can't understand why FP doesn't the ICCIDs.

As far an BestBuy and Sprint are able to tell, the phone should able to be activated.  I have a SIM coming from Twigby that others claim they have used to get the phone on Tello. I will try to use that SIM on FP, but I'm not holding by breath.  It that fails I, I think I'll try to activate on Tello and if that fails, the phone gets returned.

IF anyone knows of anyone that has got a Moto E4 to fully work on Freedompop as a Sprint BYOD, please let me know.

@David said:
    have a SIM coming from Twigby that others claim they have used to get the phone on Tello. I will try to use that SIM on FP,
    Is it a different SIM # than the ones you already have?  The 2 you have in hand are the ones I've seen listed.

I'm not sure that the average FP Customer Service agent has any experience with multi-carrier phones being activated on CDMA.

• I bought an E4 (unlocked) with ads from Amazon. I've been unable to get it working with FreedomPop on the Sprint network, just as you are. I get the Sim Locked message and fail after five tries. I've tried the SIMGLW416Q and it didn't work.
    I did happen to have a FreedomPop GSM SIM, and can confirm that it mostly works. I have data and can receive calls, but trying to make calls on LTE crashes the FreedomPop Messaging app (phone drops back to HSPA+ for some reason). Calls on WiFi work fine.

FreedomPop support is quite poor on both issues... they keep telling me to update the PRL on my GSM SIM, despite my telling them that there is no such option on GSM. They didn't know where to start on the Sprint side--just told me to get a new account and try again, which failed with the same error.
    @furry-turquoise-striped-dishwasher-828124 said:
    but trying to make calls on LTE crashes the FreedomPop Messaging app (phone drops back to HSPA+ for some reason)
    It sounds like FreedomPop is really having trouble with these phones, especially on CDMA!

Is your SIM the US-based AT&T "LTE SIM", or the "Global SIM"  (running on AT&T and T-Mobile).  If it's the latter, the Global SIM doesn't have LTE access, only 3G/HSPA+.

What version of the FreedomPop Messaging app are you using?  Lots of people are having difficulty with the current version available in the Play Store.  version 20.01.864.0629.  The primary symptom seems to be the inability to call outbound on cellular data.  If so, try uninstalling that version, and loading : version 19.02.789.0405 from apkmirror.com
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/freedompop/freedompop-messaging/freedompop-messaging-19-02-789-0405-release/freedompop-messaging-phonesim-19-02-789-0405-android-apk-download/

or version 20.00.842.0605 if you can find it.  I'm using this version, & it's working fine for me.  Version 20 has some nice new features for account monitoring built into the app, although it also provides an ad (visual only, similar to a static banner, and not particularly obtrusive.)
      If you're using one of the earlier versions already, you might try syncing account data within the app.

I did try making a couple of calls with the Global SIM (3G), and it worked fine for me, and sounded fine both to me and the people on the other end of the line.  I don't use it enough to have meaningful results, though.

furry-turquoise-striped-dishwasher-828124akaLTD
  • DavidDavid Novice 3

@KentE said:
    Is it a different SIM # than the ones you already have?  The 2 you have in hand are the ones I've seen listed.
    No, it is another SIMGLW416Q.  I am hoping that getting it from an MVNO it might somehow act differently.

@KentE said:
    I'm not sure that the average FP Customer Service agent has any experience with multi-carrier phones being activated on CDMA.
    I'm sure you are right.

• DavidDavid Novice 3
    @furry-turquoise-striped-dishwasher-828124 said:
    I bought an E4 (unlocked) with ads from Amazon. I've been unable to get it working with FreedomPop on the Sprint network,

Have you had the phone active and working on any other Sprint MVNO before trying it on FP?
  • DavidDavid Novice 3
    @KentE said:
    I've always been amazed that FreedomPop activations 'usually' work without registering the ICCID.   I can't see how it works unless it refers back to a "last-known" ICCID in the Sprint database:  which does exist, because if you register a phone with Sprint postpaid, it will ask if you're still using "this" SIM card.
       But that process can't possibly work with a multi-carrier phone that has never previously been paired with a SIM in Sprint's database, or a Sprint phone that has a new SIM card.

Went back an re-read some posts after yesterdays interaction with FP support (they said that the problem seemed to be that there is no ICCID associated with the phone). I think KentE is somewhere near the root of the problem with his comment above.  If FP never asks for the ICCID, where does it get it from??  It very well could be that Sprint\FP interfaces somehow default to the "last-known" ICCID.

If I were to test out this theory.  I would need to activate and get the phone working directly on Sprint or perhaps on a different Sprint MVNO.  Then either port to FP, or perhaps cancel the line, let the phone be released then open a new line on FP.

If I had a little more time I'd do just that.  But this is a new phone I bought for my daughter and if I can't get it working ASAP, I want to return it BestBuy and look for a different phone.

edited July 19
    @David said:
    If I were to test out this theory.  I would need to activate and get the phone working directly on Sprint or perhaps on a different Sprint MVNO.  Then either port to FP, or perhaps cancel the line, let the phone be released then open a new line on FP.If I had a little more time I'd do just that.  But this is a new phone I bought for my daughter and if I can't get it working ASAP, I want to return it BestBuy and look for a different phone.
    A couple of thoughts here:
      If my theory is correct, you thought about activating the phone with the ICCID on another Sprint MVNO first should "fix" the issue.  I should probably mention that the previous Moto G4 had an issue sometimes when trying to move from one Sprint MVNO to another Sprint MVNO:  I don't know if the E4 has that difficulty or not.  (I'd like to think Motorola has fixed it, but they didn't seem to ever issue a fix for the G4 series......)  A recent discussion of that problem starts here:
    https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/154376/#Comment_154376

There are several MVNOs that offer activation with no fees other than the first month's charge, and if you pair it an MVNO offering Pay-As-You-Go plans (or a very low-cost plan), the expense would be small.  

A SIM supplied from a different MVNO should make no difference-- regardless of how they're marked, or the source, they're all Sprint SIMs.  Rembmer, too, that any other new "universal-carrier" phone is going to have the same difficulty with FreedomPop CDMA Bring-Your-Own-Phone activation (Nexus, Moto G4/G5 series).

Another possible option:  Do you have decent AT&T coverage where you live?  FreedomPop also offers an AT&T network "LTE SIM" that can be used in any unlocked GSM-capable phone, and the E4 definitely has that capability. In GSM-world, the account "lives on" the SIM itself (while on Sprint, the account "lives on" the device instead of the SIM).  Going this way, the problem with pairing the SIM & phone together wouldn't exist.  Please note that there a number of differences between the FreedomPop plans on CDMA/Sprint, and GSM SIM plans- primarily that the data allotment is smaller.   If you're not aware of them, please let us know before you decide to go that route!

If you have enough time before your daughter's birthday, the last time I ordered one of these from FreedomPop, it was in my mailbox in 3-4 days.  Setup is pretty easy, and you can move the SIM between any GSM-Unlocked phone anytime you want.  (Or for that matter, you can use any phone that is locked to AT&T, including brand-new AT&T Prepaid (formerly GoPhone until a couple of weeks ago) phone.  (possible exception would be iPhones)   The LTE SIM can frequently be bought for $0.99 on special from FreedomPop, but I can't find a working offer for that price now-- via this link, it's $9.99.
    https://www.freedompop.com/offer/99lteSIMEM?

[EDIT:  TO ADD:  this seems to be a working link to a promo for the 'LTE SIM' for $0.99
    https://www.freedompop.com/offer/sim-nationwide-lte-f9?ftm_source=google&ftm_medium=cpc&ftm_campaign=SHOP_SIMVoice-NA_US-ENG_DTM_USSVA_NB&ftm_placement=-&ftm_term=-&ftm_network=search-g&ftm_content=169523730925-1o1&ftm_adgroup=US_SIMVOICE_ATT&ftm_device=dto&ftm_devicemodel=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhrzLBRC3ARIsAPmhsnVvTuSKrjDr7fF-ofD69bf_NDedK03OsrSiZKyy43kTfdQqQs2VY0waAr60EALw_wcB
    ]

(If you go this route, I'd also ask FreedomPop for a refund on the activation charge for the plan you can't get working:  if you got in on the $0.99 promo for same, it's probably not worth the bother:  but I think the standard charge is $19.99.)   Also a reminder that if you decide to have multiple devices/SIMs on FreedomPop, you should do each under a different email address/account.  To do this, you may need to log out of your FP account when going to the link above, since FP tends to keep you logged into your last-visited account.)

Best Buy offers a very similar-sounding FreedomPop GSM "Global SIM", but there are notable differences:  that SIM is limited to 3G only (no LTE), and it runs as a roaming service from a UK provider-- so some websites are confused & think the user is in the UK. 
    It's available in some stores, but has to be ordered in most locations.  For most users, the 'LTE SIM' above would be the better choice.
    Just in case, here's a link to it at Best Buy-- you'll probably have to change to your zip code on the BB site to see if they're in stock at a store near you.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/freedompop-global-3-in-1-sim-card-w-200mb-of-data-200-minutes-500-texts-included-monthly/5712297.p?skuId=5712297

akaLTD
  • GOOD NEWS for Moto G5 plus owners.

I've been running all the above mentioned circles trying to activate my Moto G5 plus on TPO  CDMA.

Found a simplest solution: order SIM kit 3 in 1  for that phone from TING.

Got it, installed it - phone is activated.

It will cost you $9.99 - but it works.

• jamielihjamielih Moderator 127
    @KentE said:
    It's been one of those mysteries to me that FP, and only FP in my experience, manages to activate Sprint-network phones without asking for the ICCID......  not sure how they know.  With a standard Sprint phone that's been activated before, I imagine they have access to the "last known" ICCID for a phone.  With a new multi-carrier phone (or at least new to Sprint network), that info wouldn't be in a database anywhere.

CellNuvo (a Sprint MVNO) has activated my phone without asking me my phone's SIM's ICCID.
    KentE
    @jamielih said:
    CellNuvo (a Sprint MVNO) has activated my phone without asking me my phone's SIM's ICCID.
    Ah, I did not remember that experience at CellNuvo: with that statement intended to be an indication of my memory, and not an argument against the validity of your statement.
      In that instance, do you remember if the phone had been previously activated on the Sprint network (including MVNOs) with the same SIM #? 

I can understand how that can work with a phone & SIM previously used on the Sprint network..   I am not aware of the process that would allow successful LTE activation with a SIM card/phone pair never previously used on the Sprint network, though  (as would be the case with a brand new multi-carrier phone.)   Knowing that it can work would mean that there must be a reporting mechanism between the phone itself and the network.  Probably not impossible, but just outside of my experience.

• jamielihjamielih Moderator 127
    edited July 22
    KentE,

You're spot on - in every instance where I observed a CellNuvo activation that didn't require inputting ICCID, the phone was most recently on a Sprint MVNO with the same SIM card.
  • DavidDavid Novice 3
    edited July 22

OK, I had to give up on Freedompop for now.

I took the new E4 to Tello and it activated without incident (almost without incident) using the SIMGLW416Q sim card. The only minor glitch I has was the fact that I selected a plan with no minutes and no texts AND I didn't add any Pay As You Go balance.  Under those circumstances, that phone cannot make\receive calls or send\receive texts.  The phone got programmed fine, but without any plan minutes or PayGo balance, calling and texting are disable.  I added $10 in PayGo, and all is good.

edited July 23
    Looks like the combined efforts of us and the howard forums couldn't help you!  Tello are so much easier to deal with.  You are better off paying for it.  These days FP seem to be cutting back on the service and throttling speeds etc.  

I bet though you can switch to freedompop now and it would work. They really seem unable to do the sim set up from scratch correctly.  
  • DavidDavid Novice 3

Since I got the E4 up and running on Tello, the theory here suggests it's very possible that the phone would now activate on FP.  I decided to test the theory.

So, I swapped the phone out of Tello

Waited 30 minutes to make sure the MEID was released

Went through FP's BYOD system

For some strange reason, couldn't get a number assigned to the phone from the Kansas City metro region (there's always been endless numbers to pick from).  Had to select a number from suburban St. Louis

Reset carrier settings on phone

Reboot

POW! Voice and 3G data working!

No LTE however.  I am going to have FP try to add the SIMs ICCID to the account to see if that fixes the no LTE issue.  If anyone here has any tricks to get LTE working on FP with these carrier agnostic Motorolas (G4, G5, E4), please let me know.

• watermugwatermug Novice 0
    edited July 28
    Kind of beating a dead horse, especially since they aren't the same networks, but I couldn't get LTE after porting out from Ting on a Moto G5+ (amazon offers edition) and what ended up fixing it was factory resetting my phone. Worth keeping in mind if FP customer service doesn't come through. Also worth trying that change APN trick in KentE's post, I would have loved to try that out instead of resetting, but the setting wasn't in my phone and the app work around wasn't working.
    @watermug said:
    Kind of beating a dead horse, especially since they aren't the same networks, but I couldn't get LTE after porting out from Ting on a Moto G5+
    No dead-horse-beating involved!  Since the unlocked Moto G/E models give us all an especially affordable option, regardless of carrier, any user experiences with this issue are useful.
    Can I ask where you were porting to?     It seems that most of the issues we've seen for failure to provision correctly are Sprint-network to Sprint-network:  but I don't know if that's the only possibility.

@David said:
    Reset carrier settings on phoneRebootPOW! Voice and 3G data working!No LTE however. 
    @David, I assume you had to enter the ICCID on Tello when you activated there?  (and you at least had LTE indicator in the status bar on the phone.)  And left the same SIM card in the phone when you went back to Freedompop again?
    My hope was that this path would have allowed the already-registered-with-Sprint ICCID to be automatically added when activating on FreedomPop-- if it didn't, then it adds another stage of frustration to getting one of these phones activated on FreedomPop or other MVNOs that rely on last-known SIM registration.