Sprint offers free year of unlimited service

Comments

• mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    edited June 13
    I tried a few days ago when they opened it.  A freedompop number was eligible.  However the small print says it must be from a postpaid account.  It also specifically states no sprint mvnos as it has to be verizon/tmob/att.  

A few days ago it was open for a few hours and then they pulled it.  Seems like it is back.  There are a ton of issues with the promo - nexus 5x not working, people can't activate when they get the sim, duplicate orders, customer service don't know about it, orders on hold etc.  I canceled in the end.  Not worth the hassle/uncertainty.  

Plus taxes and surcharges would come to $15 or so anyway.  I think they charge the taxes/ fees as if it was full price and tack on admin fees and other stuff.  

Arvy_->_அரவிந்த்
  • My Verizon iPhone 6s plus that was on R+ before but now back on Verizon, and along with my Verizon post paid number, is not compatible. hmmm....
  • @mmfacemm said:
    Plus taxes and surcharges would come to $15 or so anyway.  I think they charge the taxes/ fees as if it was full price and tack on admin fees and other stuff.  

I suspect this to be inaccurate information. We took advantage of the Sprint $90.00 for 5 Unlimited Everything promo in February of this year. The total bill of $112.50 for 5 lines includes $22.50 of additional charges and fees, or about $4.50 a line. Those fees are consistent with another account that we have with Sprint on the 6GB plan for several phones.

Since some of the additional charges appear to be State, County and City taxes based on the billed amount my guess is the additional fees will be less than $3.00 a line. Even if it were

$4.50 per line I consider this to be an incredible value.

Sprint states this in the promo: A standard $1.99 admin fee, $0.40 regulatory fee and other taxes and fees

Some of the Sprint Promos have hoops that need to be jumped through for the promo to be realized. Things such as using auto-pay and ports from certain carriers are often part of the reduced price. Some will see these requirements as unsurmountable, others will make it work to realize the stated value.

We are looking into setting up another Sprint account to take advantage of this promo. Thank you to the person originally posting this promo in a different thread. Not even my Sprint corporate store contacts were aware.

@AShortBusDriver said:
    I suspect this to be inaccurate information. 

Maybe.  Someone in another forum /thread mentioned that their sprint rep said $8-15 for everything.  If it is more like $5 then I agree that this is not a con.  I'm not paying $15 for a free line though.  
  •  @mmfacemm said:
     I'm not paying $15 for a free line though.

While I agree, paying $15.00 monthly ( if it turns out to be that high) in administrative charges and taxes is not free, it is substantially less than others are charging for similar service. However, even if the total turned out to be closer to $15.00 rather than $3.50 - $4.50 a line, it is still an incredible value for those that can effectively use the offered service with the usual Sprint network weaknesses. Sprint's Unlimited Everything includes Verizon roaming, Sprint Global Roaming (https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html) , 10GB of tethering data. We have one user that routinely uses more than 25GB of monthly data. They have yet to notice data deprioritizing. Then again, the phone is usually operated inside of Sprint's band 41 coverage.

I find myself thinking "too good to be true" coming from a place of wonder. Is this an indication of how talks might be going with another carrier. The last few years we have all been witness to the advantages of several carriers competing for customer business. Is this the pinnacle of that competition?

Hopefully, I will know more about the gotchas within the week as we plan on taking advantage of this promo right down to the 100-200 unit per month users. Just to good to pass up.

I wonder if the referral program applies B)

• TxHookEmTxHookEm Novice 3
    This is indeed a great promo, but I'm at a loss, my unlocked iPhone 6s ( purchased from Apple at full retail price) is ineligible. I used that phone on T-Mobile,ringplus, ting, and red pocket....  it sure is a big mystery. I think I need to check on this phone, because it should not be locked to any network... I'm hmmmm like @akula1488
  • Comments in slickdeals link for this deal says we need to contact Sprint customer care to fix device not accepted issue. Haven't tried it yet.
  • This promo is still running.  Today I signed up 2 lines for migration from Verizon to Sprint, which are both for my kids.  I expect less than $5 per month charge based on articles I read about this, but have no first hand experience with it.  If anyone has started an account and seen a bill, please let me know if approximately $5 per month is accurate.  But, in any case, I learned one thing while using RingPlus and other Sprint MVNOs over the last couple of years... it has become EASY to change cell services.  So, if it's a good deal, I will stay for the year.  If it is not, I can always migrate back to Verizon, where my wife's line will stay because service quality and signal are much stronger in our area. 
  • KentEKentE Moderator 167
    @SparkyM said:
    If anyone has started an account and seen a bill, please let me know if approximately $5 per month is accurate
    Other than approximately $2.30 in fixed fees, the rest of the monthly charge depends entirely on your local taxing (and surcharge) regulations, which Sprint will comply with & pass along to you.  These charges can include both state and local fees, so it's very difficult to predict with accuracy.  In my location (Kansas City), the total monthly invoice is $3.21.  Some areas may be considerably higher.  ("Considerably" likely to be a matter of a few dollars, and if you're in a very high-charge location may approach $10 total monthly cost..)

The Wiki in the linked Slickdeals link above (the second post in the thread) includes user reports of cost by zipcode, as reported by users. If a zip code is in your area, it might provide useful info, although it's apparent to me that some users did not fill in the "how many lines" accurately.   (In my zip code, a reported cost twice as high as my charge must be for 2 lines, although it does not say that.)

As an alternative, if may be possible to work out an estimate from billing you have for a current line from another provider, if enough detail is provided in the tax/fee section of that bill.  Any fees that are "per line" fees are likely to stay the same regardless of the monthly cost of the line or the provider.  Any taxes or fees that are based as a percentage of the monthly cost will use the same percentage applied to a $5 monthly cost.  (The plan technically costs $5/month, with $5 credited back to you for signing up for auto-pay, so percentage-based taxes will tax that $5.)  The difficulty of this process is that many companies charge "surcharges" that are not required fees from government bodies, nor taxes-- they're just a way to charge you more money without sounding like they're charging you more money. From all reports I've seen, Sprint is NOT playing that game with this promo. 

You should be able to see the first month bill in your online account about 3-4 days after signing up. 

• @KentE said:
    Other than approximately $2.30 in fixed fees, the rest of the monthly charge depends entirely on your local taxing (and surcharge) regulations, which Sprint will comply with & pass along to you.

Thanks Kent!  You are also correct that I can see my bill after a few days of signing up.  

For Reference:  I have 3 lines on the Unlimited Free for 1 year plan, and my total bill is $10.68 for one month.  Grand total of $3.56 monthly per line.
  • KentEKentE Moderator 167
    @SparkyM said:
    Grand total of $3.56 monthly per line.
    Cool!  Hard to beat that cost without relying on tin cans & a string!

• ny11tonyny11tony Pro 4
    edited July 22
    I think this is a super promotion, extended until at least 7/31/17!  I told all my friends about it, as I did with Ring Plus too. But many people (non penny-pinchers) just don't want to mess with their phone service, even if free! I did have a couple of friends that did take advantage of this promo and everything went smoothly.

However for myself, even though I am with Mint Sim now with T Mobile service, Sprint tells me that my phone (iPhone 6) isn't eligible for this promo because it was originally a Sprint device. I would have to buy or trade my phone in for a non Sprint phone and then switch.  Update:  When I called Sprint directly (866 782-8777) and explained that even though I have a Sprint device, I am still switching from a different carrier; after a long time on hold, they came back and said the device in fact would be eligible for the promo after all, but she  had to put a ticket in and call me back in 2 - 3 days.  Will see.
  • hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 221
    That's great to hear!
  • @ny11tony said:
    she  had to put a ticket in and call me back in 2 - 3 days.  Will see.

Did you hear back on this?
  • ny11tonyny11tony Pro 4
    edited August 15
    @Arvy_->;_அரவிந்த் said:
    Did you hear back on this?

Yes, I was able to switch to Sprint and take advantage of the free year of service (actually 14 months) promo!  They never did call me back and I did have to call them a couple of times and wait on hold for a supervisor, but I did persist.  Having an original Sprint phone was an issue, but as long as it is unlocked and you are switching from another carrier, you should be eligible.  I still had my original Sprint sim card, so I didn't need to get another one.  Visit web site below or call 866 782-8777.

I am surprised that there is not more buzz about this promo!  You get a free year (< $5/mos taxes fees) for unlimited service (10 gb/mos before reduced speed).  No activation fee.  There is no commitment or contract so you can leave at any time or at the end of the free year. You can't beat that whether your needs are small or large.  The promo was originally supposed to expire 6/30/17; but now is still available, but can end at any time. Whenever you sign up, you will get the free service through 9/30/18.  See details:  https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/sprint_com/us/en/shop/offers/free-unlimited.html#compare

You just have to make sure that:
    *You are ok and have coverage with Sprint service
    *You have to have an eligible phone model-check their list for eligible phones
    *You must own your phone or pay it off
    *You can't can't already have Sprint service (even with a sub carrier); this is for new subscribers only switching from another carrier
    *There are roaming charges if outside Sprint tower area (but Hot Spot/tethering is free; and unlimited 2g data included after 10 gb/mos)
    *Must re-evaluate your best options at expiration 9/30/18
    *Need auto pay to get $5/mos savings

More details from their site:

Bring your eligible phone to Sprint and get FREE Unlimited data, talk and text for one year. There’s no annual contract and you can keep your phone, number, accessories, photos, apps and music. It’s really that simple.

You’ll get Sprint’s fully-featured Unlimited including:

• Unlimited data, talk and text
    • HD streaming: 
      • Video at speeds up to 1080p 
      • Music at up to 1.5mbps 
      • Gaming streams at up to 8mbps 
      • Unlimited 4G LTE data for most everything else. Data deprioritization applies during congestion. 
    • 10GB of high-speed data per line to use toward mobile hotspot, VPN and Peer-2-Peer usage. Once your 10GB is used up:
      • Continue at up to 2G speeds (32 Kbps) on our network for no additional cost, or
      • Purchase more on-network high-speed data for $15/1GB to tide you over for the rest of your bill cycle

This introductory pricing:

• Free service for 1 year for new customers who switch to Sprint and sign up on sprint.com/1yearfree. Save until 9/30/18.
      • You'll save more than $900 (compared to Verizon’s one-line unlimited rate plan) in the first year
      • Switch your whole family and save even more!
      • A standard $1.99 admin fee, $0.40 regulatory fee and other taxes and fees apply
      • Your $30 activation fee is waived as part of this promotion. The fee will appear on your first bill and a credit will appear within 2 bills.
    • Requires a Sprint SIM card, eBill and Sprint AutoPay ($5/mo./line discount applied within two invoices)
      • If AutoPay is cancelled, you’ll pay $5/mo./line
      • If AutoPay and eBill are removed, a $7.99/mo. charge will apply for Account Spending Limit customers
        • Your Spending Limit is the monthly maximum amount of spending per phone on your account based on your credit decision
        • For accounts with multiple phones, the total spending limit is calculated as the number of phones on the account multiplied by the spending limit per phone
    • You must own the phone(s) you're bringing to Sprint.
    • After 9/30/18, pay:
      • Line 1: $60/mo.
      • Line 2: $40/mo.
      • Lines 3-5: $30/mo/line
      • Pricing shown with AutoPay. Add $5/mo./line without AutoPay

I'm reconsidering now that all the kinks have been worked out.  

I already get free service with cellnuvo and don't really need all the extras though.  Sprint service at my house is pretty weak. I wonder if postpaid would be any better than prepaid/mvnos.  

I have a few sprint locked phones that I imagine I could get unlocked if I had a sprint account.  That would be nice at least.  Might be worth the time to get it set up and the $40 for the year.    
  • Cellnuvo is true cell service and uses the same tower as regular Sprint postpaid service.  No, it would not be any better.