Cue the WaterWorks :(

TxHookEmTxHookEm Novice 3
edited June 10 in General Discussions
My iPhone 6s was accidentally submerged in water for 0.5 seconds. I did not immediately turn the phone off because everything looked fine initially. About an hour ago I noticed I can see screen discoloration and moisture accumulation inside the phone when I look at emails & text. I just now put the phone in brown rice (no other rice in the house), other than rice is there any other method available/ known for drying out a wet iPhone? Google only gave rice and silica packages. I'm wondering what other methods are out there that others have successfully used.

Comments

• KentEKentE Moderator 168
    Drierite-- similar action to Silca Gel, rechargeable via low heat in an oven, and color-changing to let you know when it's time to dry it out again.  (If you get the Indicating style)  The problem with silica gel packets is you don't have a clue if they're exhausted.
      I'd suggest wrapping the phone in a cotton handkerchief, putting a layer of Drierite in a tupperware style container, and laying the wrapped phone on top.   (You want as close to an airtight seal as you can get.)
      It's been quite a while since I bought it, but used to get it at large drug stores, old-style hardware stores, and farm supply stores.  Also any place that deals with medical laboratory equipment.  

I've had good luck with white rice, too, for a cheap phone that went through the washing machine. 
    jamielih
  • TxHookEmTxHookEm Novice 3
    I've had the phone in rice since this post. I plan on removing it next week. Hopefully the rice works. I love this phone.
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    edited June 18
    brown rice should work just like white. They both swell to take in moisture.  As long as you haven't cooked it already!  Good luck.  Time for a waterproof phone if not.
  • byeecanonbyeecanon Novice 2
    At worst you'll probably be able to replace the screen and retain a working phone.  The important thing is that the phone was working for about an hour.  That tells me that the main logic board is still OK.
  • chatmsdchatmsd MVP 23
    edited June 21
    "
    @TxHookEm said:
    I've had the phone in rice since this post. I plan on removing it next week. Hopefully the rice works. I love this phone.
    I wouldn't waste me time with rice method.  The absorption rate of water through air is negligible and too slow. 

Use silica gel and/or drierite.  Put them in the bottom of a container that can be closed air-tight.  Then put a piece of thin paper napkin over the drierite/silica gel so the phone doesn't physically touch the drying agents.  Put the phone on top of the paper and close the lid/cap tight.  It may take several days for complete drying. 

Another method is to place the phone in the refrigerator, not the freezer.  The air in the refrigerator is dry.  It will dry out the phone in  a day or two.  When you take out the phone from the refrigerator, put it in a ziploc plastic bag for couple of hours so atmospheric water vapor doesn't condense on the phone while it is warming up.

• KentEKentE Moderator 168
    @chatmsd said:
    Another method is to place the phone in the refrigerator, not the freezer.
    Great tip that I haven't heard before! 

• chatmsdchatmsd MVP 23
    @KentE said:
    Great tip that I haven't heard before! 

The air in both the refrigerator and freezer is dehumidified air.  The reason I didn't suggest putting the phone in the freezer is that that may freeze any water inside the phone and cause damage.