Sold Phone, buyer cannot activate because it's locked to RingPlus

I tried calling RingPlus, but the number is disconnected.  

I tried Ting, but they wouldn't unlock.  

I opened a ticket with Sprint and they filed forms, but after 3 days they said they couldn't unlock it because it's not in their system. 

Is there any way to get the phone functional again, or is it a lost cause? Do I need to issue a refund and get the phone shipped back? 

Comments

• mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    edited June 8
    You may or may not be confusing terms here. 

1.  Did you sell this as a sprint phone or as a phone that can be used on any provider?  Many sprint phones used on ringplus are locked to sprint and cannot be used on tmobile/att/verizon/us cellular etc.  Neither ringplus or Ting will be able to unlock it for you. And sprint won't help you either as you are not a sprint customer.  These phones should still work on sprint and sprint MVNOs though so can be used again.  Whether you need to offer a refund depends on what you sold it as. 
    OR
    2. The phone is currently active with Ting (after migrating from ringplus) and as such cannot be activated again until the account is closed and the MEID released.  Contact Ting for this (NB you are not asking for them to unlock it but to release the MEID from their system).  I assume you just left the account and did nothing?   It would have migrated to Ting but is stuck in limbo.  Once ting release the MEID the buyer can activate on another sprint MVNO.  If you have the MEID you can check to see if it will activate elsewhere by entering it into the ting byod checker or tello byod checker.   
  • It is a Boost Mobile phone that was initially activated on RingPlus.  on eBay's I sold it as a Boost Mobile Phone.

I never took the Ting credit, and as far as I know it was never migrated to Ting.  I just left the account and did nothing.  

I have the MEID number. 
    @wireless-topaz-honeycomb-racoon-839872 said:
    I have the MEID number. 

Stick it into the ting BYOD checker - what does it say?  
  • Great news!
    Your phone is compatible with Ting.

Bring your LG G Stylo to Ting and it will support the following services on our CDMA network.

• 2G
    •  
    • 3G
    •  
    • 4GLTE

If you already have a SIM card (there may be one already inserted in your phone) you can proceed to activation. Otherwise...

• I have tried Sprint, Boost, and Ting. no one will release the MEID number.  ring plus has to do it, but there is no ring plus, the number is disconnected. 

Also, Boost says once it has been activated on another carrier, it can not be reactivated on Boost.  
    edited June 8
    The meid checker indicates the MEID is free for activation. So the buyer should be able to activate it.  It isn't locked to ringplus or ting or anyone.  If it was it would say the device is currently in use.    

Seems like maybe it is a boost issue.  Boost should be able to activate a boost phone.  I don't know why they wouldn't.  Maybe the buyer needs to take it to a boost store for activation.  Boost can activate non boost phones used elsewhere so not sure why they told you they couldn't reactivate a boost phone back onto boost.  
  • In the RP dashboard, it shows that it is still active on RingPlus -  it there something I need to do through the dashboard to turn the account off?
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    edited June 8
    In the RP dashboard, it shows that it is still active on RingPlus -  it there something I need to do through the dashboard to turn the account off?
    No-- no phone is actually "active" on RingPlus anymore in the traditional sense, even if you wanted it to be.  The RingPlus dashboard indication of 'active' only indicates that you can still use the phone for FluidCall if you wish.  FluidCall is a special VoIP calling option that does not rely on the phone being "active" on RingPlus in the traditional sense, and it can still be used if the phone MEID is assigned to any other provider, or no provider at all.. 

You can close the RingPlus account through the dashboard if you wish, but it won't make any difference to whether or not the phone can be activated anywhere else.

• ResultOneResultOne Pro 14
    Explain the buyer that Ting BYOD said the Imeid was clear to activate but somehow the buyer wasn't able to activate the phone on the carrier of their choice. Ask the buyer to ship it back to you and that you'll gladly refund his/her money. You're lucky the buyer contact you first instead of leaving a negative feedback so I'd try to take care of the matter as fast as I can. 

After receiving the phone back, relist it...this time put on the cell carriers that you've checked and it said the ESN was clear to activate on that particular carriers i.e. Ting, Tello (check Tello BYOD https://tello.com/bring_your_own_phone) LG Stylo. Also you can include in the ad that you'd gladly send the buyer the IMEID number to check with their carrier after they've purchased the phone, just message you for the ESN number or offer to check the carrier compatible for the buyer before they purchase the phone.
  • ClassifiedsClassifieds RingPlus 137

I have tried Sprint, Boost, and Ting. no one will release the MEID number.  ring plus has to do it, but there is no ring plus, the number is disconnected. 

Also, Boost says once it has been activated on another carrier, it can not be reactivated on Boost.  

I am sorry to hear this. A phone has to be active on a carrier to be unlocked that may be right, but your phone is not active on ringplus. If you activate it on Ting, Tello, etc they could open a ticket with sprint asking them to unlock it. So could any sprint store.  Of course the phone can be activated on Boost as long its not active on a other carrier.   
  • ClassifiedsClassifieds RingPlus 137
     @Blaine said:
    This is not true,  when it was pushed back it must no longer show as SKUed for Boost activation. Boost will have to reSKU it into the system and you will need to escalate the issue with C/S until you can find a competent agent to assist you.
    There is certainly nothing in the TOS I could find that says once activated outside of Boost it can no longer be activated on Boost, so you might ask C/S to point out where that is stated. You can always File an FCC complaint against Boost.

No FCC complain necessary. It's just you got the wrong person or lazy person in support. A system problem like this takes sometimes hours to resolve. I would just try it again with a other person/dealer or via phone.

Again we are really sorry that we can't help anymore as we have no contract with sprint. 
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 127
    wireless-topaz-honeycomb-racoon-839872 

Maybe the buyer is trying to activate phone on AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, or Verizon?
  • JollyjoeJollyjoe Novice 1
    edited June 12
    Try calling ting and explain you had a phone that migrated (even if you think it didn't) from ringplus and ask if they can switch it from PLBL to SPCS. That took care of my issue on 2 phones (although they were never Boost phones)
    https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203820878-Is-it-possible-to-Activate-a-phone-on-Sprint-after-using-it-on-Ting-?mobile_site=true
    jamielih