TPO June 2017 Promo - official post

167891012»

Comments

• MDRingMDRing Novice 1

Thanks. I signed up with TPO with OEM CDMA LG tribute HD SIM card and paid 1st payment 3+ days ago. My activation is taking long, because I picked up to port my existing number. They are saying other career did not respond to porting request (last 3+ days). TPO says ,  Unless they get accept/reject request from them, nothing can be done.

I asked them to get me a new number instead of porting. TPO says, I need to cancel the current TPO activation request and get a refund. I need to make a new activation request and wait 72 hours for activation.

Why TPO not able to make changes to existing activation to issue new number?

Is it the process, you all are going through?

What about other careers?

Thanks for sharing.

• KentEKentE Moderator 167
    It seems that both TPO and SpeedTalk  can be a little strange about what you can do, and what you can't do.  You're correct that they seem to be more restrictive than most MVNOs. 
      Who are you porting from? 
  • MDRingMDRing Novice 1
    Thanks. I am porting from Lycamobile. The number was on GSM Nokia phone SIM card.
    I don't have any personal experience with LycaMobile, but I don't recall any comments that they were particularly hard to port out from.  It's strange that they haven't responded at all to either accept or reject the port request.
  • Good day;
    I know this is not related to a phone service and I apologize but it is just a note to keep in mind that our fellow humans in Texas need help.  We can give whatever we can afford from $1 and up. I already gave my one time donation. Anything helps! Thanks, have a great day!
    https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?scode=RSG00000E017&utm_campaign=Harvey&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06GW7u2B1gIV2AiBCh1FfQWnEAAYASAAEgKfAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COj4i6rvgdYCFUJ2YgodMfQL4Q
  • jSoNjSoN Pro 6
    @MDRing, I did transfer from LycaMobile to TPO and port-in took less than 30 min's and this is sometime midnight PST. Please check your account # and pin with Lyca, just to make sure that port-in has the same info on TPO end...

@energetic-golden-checked-frog-118774, thx for initiation on Harvey... 
    energetic-golden-checked-frog-118774
  • Diedrich_DuoDiedrich_Duo MVP 43
    edited September 17
    Just wondering if anyone has taken advantage of this promo recently... it is still up on the R+ forum and looks like it's available.  That $7.99 Benevolent Plan is looking tempting.

Also... those of you who have signed up with TPO, how was the transition?  Any porting or data issues?  And how does their customer support compare to, say, Ting or Twigby?  (I'm, not very DIY when it comes to tech issues, so I need assistance from time to time...)

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can share!
  • I ported 3 numbers. 1 from Freedompop and 2 from Speedtalk,  it took less 5 minutes all on the $7.99 Benevolent Plan, service excellent I have not used customer support yet.
    IsamorphDiedrich_Duo
  • @Diedrich_Duo said:
    Just wondering if anyone has taken advantage of this promo recently... it is still up on the R+ forum and looks like it's available.  That $7.99 Benevolent Plan is looking tempting.

Also... those of you who have signed up with TPO, how was the transition?  Any porting or data issues?  And how does their customer support compare to, say, Ting or Twigby?  (I'm, not very DIY when it comes to tech issues, so I need assistance from time to time...)

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can share!

Hi--again. I signed up my wife's mother on this plan months ago and I am paying $7.99+$1.04(tax)=$9.03 monthly for the plan. When I signed up, the #porting and transition was very quick and trouble free, and I have had no need to contact CS, so I cannot comment on that.The price is great, but I wish the website had some sort of log for call history. Oh, I ported from Tello to TPO. Good luck.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • IsamorphIsamorph MVP 27
    edited September 17
    @ferocious-beige-checked-giraffe-360626 said:
    I ported 3 numbers. 1 from Freedompop and 2 from Speedtalk,  it took less 5 minutes all on the $7.99 Benevolent Plan, service excellent I have not used customer support yet.

Just wondering if this was done recently, for @Diedrich_Duo was probably wondering if the promo is still good. I signed up months ago, and do not know if the promo is still available. Thanks.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • Promo is still good, I use the GSM T-mobile  service. $9.17 is what I pay with tax for each.
    IsamorphDiedrich_Duo
  • Hi everyone! Could you please help me to find a spare ESN number that I could open a new account and transfer my current number with my phone (CDMA). I have only one phone and they cannot transfer my number to promo plan directly. Thanks
    @Anton_G said:
    Hi everyone! Could you please help me to find a spare ESN number
    @Anton_G ;   Please check your Private Message.

Anton_G
  • Hi everyone,
    Can you please tell me if mms texting works with TPO 's 64k throttled speeds on the Sprint side of there service ?

Thanks
    I believe it should, although I haven't tried it (and don't have a TPO line).   You need a data connection, but not a particular speed..  You may find long load times with large file sizes (high resolution pictures, video, etc.), and there is a possibility that larger files may cause the process to time out.

american-golden-matte-muscles-698942
  • Is TPO's 64k throttled speed considered 2G speed? 

Thanks
    Yes, it's considered 2G speed, and 64K is pretty much the standard speed for "fallback" infinite data-- a few carriers have 128K throttling.   It's actually throttled LTE (or 3G) of course, rather than being delivered over 2G architecture.  I guess where I'm going with this is that there's nothing particularly different about TPO's "2g" fallback than any other carrier's similar plan, and nothing that would inherently keep mms from working while throttled:   If MMS works on other carriers at fallback speeds, it should work on TPO as well.

(My true 2G feature phone handled MMS just fine-- you just had to wait while the circle whirled.......)
  • I am going to find out.
    I ported my number over to TPO through the Ringplus June's link with no problems on the Sprint side of TPO and my phone shows LTE. We'll see what happens after 100mb.

Thanks for the info, you've been a great help! 
    If you happen to think about it, please come back and post your experience with mms-- or for that matter, any experience at all you have with throttled data.  
      I really like the idea of 2G fallback-- when I've had a plan at those speeds, it did take a little getting used to, and perhaps some different approaches, but I was pleasantly surprised with what was possible.  I didn't have that plan for long, though.
  • Yes I will.
    What different approaches did you try?

I really do miss RP CS & plans.
    From a RP paying customer with a large $$ fluidcall credit left in the down turn.

Thanks again
    Browser choice makes a huge difference.  If you haven't tried them, check out Opera MIni (which you can fine-tune to get even quicker performance), or Puffin.  I'm sure there are other good choices.  I did some really 'unfair' testing, and tested page load times for Opera MIni and Puffin at 256K vs Chrome at full LTE speed (which for me at the time was usually at 15mbps.-- on most pages Chrome loaded slower.    I didn't do load tests at 64k, but felt that Puffin worked better than Opera Mini at that speed. 

Some sites have versions tailored for slow data users-- for example, lite.cnn.io is a text-only alternative to the full CNN site.  (I like the speedy loading enough that I use it frequently on full-speed data.)  There's a facebook Lite version if you're into that-- I've never used it.  

If you're used to using your phone for streaming audio content, look into downloading music or podcasts when you have WiFi available, rather than streaming. 

At least some folks seem to think that all 64k throttling is not equal-- I imagine this might be so.  Some throttling may allow short initial bursts exceeding 64k, and then clamp down.  That short burst can give you a jump on getting a webpage loaded.   I've heard from a couple of TPO users that the 64K 'seems faster' than others 64K, although it tested the same.
  • No kidding about the speed of Puffin compare to the others, it really zooms alone. I also downloaded Maps.me which is a stand alone GPS maping app and doesn't use data.

I am using a Moto X 1st gen which is a "LTE phone" and may think that there is no data connection at those lower speeds? 
    How do you like Maps.me?    I use HereWeGo  (formerly Nokia Here) for off-line GPS.   I've been very happy with it, except that it doesn't announce the street name for a turn.  (It displays it on the screen, but just says "turn right now".) 
      For HereWeGo, be aware that the map downloads are quite large-- at least one state at a time.  Not a problem if you have can download on WiFi, and have an external SD card.  (When installing the app, you'll be presented with an option to make the SD card the default for map downloads.)   If you're using a phone that doesn't support external microSD cards, it'll really chew up the memory on your phone. 

Have you seen the Moto X struggle while throttled?  That would surprise me.   The data stream is still delivered over LTE if you're within LTE coverage areas.  (But I  don't think any of my testing with "2G" throttled speeds took place on any Moto model.)   The phones I was using behaved just fine with the throttled connection, other than the expected slower response.
  • @KentE ; HereWeGo does have turn by turn. you need to download the spoken street names in settings voice option.

Diedrich_Duo
    @ferocious-beige-checked-giraffe-360626 said:
    HereWeGo does have turn by turn. you need to download the spoken street names in settings voice option.
    Thanks!   I'll have to look for that.  That's really the only thing I've missed in using the app, even in offline mode.