FreeomPop GSM - Mobile Hotspot

After R+ shut down I acquired several GSM SIMs from FreedomPop. They are being used mostly on older model iPhone 4s.  The one big disappointment has been that the free service doesn't allow the iPhone to be used as a mobile hotspot.  It seems that you have pay about $10/month for one of their premium services in order to get tethering.

Recently, I swapped one of the LTE SIMs (AT&T based service) into a Samsung Galaxy S4 M919 model that was unlocked by T-Mobile.  The phone is on older KitKat 4.4, not LolliPop.  Sure enough, I am able to activate mobile hotspot on this device on my free LTE lines!  (I haven't tried with my Global SIMs because I'm having trouble setting up the APN for that).

I was wondering if anyone else has had that experience?  Is this because I am using a device that was meant to be used on T-Mobile?  Perhaps this is unique to Android KitKat?  Will FreedomPop try to shut me down if they find out I'm using too much tethering?

I didn't want to post this on the FreedomPop forum in case this is a bug that FreedomPop will fix if they learn about it.

Comments

• byeecanonbyeecanon Novice 2
    edited May 26
    I have 3 Global SIMS and 3 LTE SIMs tied to AT&T.  I've been using them on older model iPhones, mainly my iPhone 4s AT&T unlocked.  I ditched my Sprint 4s because I wanted a phone that's cross-compatible with FreedomPop LTE and Global SIMs.

Anyway, my biggest disappointment is that I have not been able to activate tethering/mobile hotspot on my 4s using either SIM.  It seems that FreedomPop wants you to pay about $10/month for a premium service that includes tethering.  Just the other day however, I tried the LTE SIM in a Samsung Galaxy S4 Model M919 unlocked from T-Mobile running Androdroid KitKat 4.4 (i.e. not updated to LolliPop).  Sure enough I am able to activate mobile hotspot on the S4!  I did not pay for that. 

Anyway, has anyone else had the same experience with tethering on FreedomPop?  Is the issue related to KitKat or the fact that I'm using a phone that was designed to be used on T-Mobile only? 

[MOD COMMENT] I moved this almost duplicate post to this thread. No point in discussing the same topic in 2 separate threads where info could be needlessly repeated in both. 

OP, it's not necessary to post the same topic multiple times and in other threads which is called "cross-posting" and is considered bad netiquette. I deleted your other new thread. 
  • hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 222
    My experience on a Bu phone.  Hotspot works, dual SIM allows me to physically install 2 SIMs and get twice the free data by switching SIM electronically mid month.
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 127
    In my experience, the FP LTE SIM allowed hotspot to work on a BLU R1 HD, but not on a Moto G4. On that Moto G4, hotspot won't even turn on. The hotspot on that G4 worked fine on R+ and on Tello.

[MOD COMMENT] I moved this almost duplicate post to this thread. No point in discussing the same topic in 2 separate threads where info could be needlessly repeated in both. 

OP, it's not necessary to post the same topic multiple times and in other threads which is called "cross-posting" and is considered bad netiquette. I deleted your other new thread. 

Sorry, I created a thread and when it didn't show up I decided to just post in an existing thread relating to Freedompop.  When that also didn't show up immediately, I figured there was something wrong with the board.  Glad to see the board is working again.
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    No problem and sorry I didn't know the situation. You might have been trying to post while some updates were being done to the forum. I saw mention that quoting wasn't working for a little while. Plus I can see evidence of changes made. 

So, again apologize for assuming you weren't aware of the proper "rules" about posting. 

All is good. :) 
    I've been doing more experimenting with FreedomPop.  Has anyone ever managed to get it to work on an iPhone running IOS 6 ? 
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    @byeecanon said:
    Has anyone ever managed to get it to work on an iPhone running IOS 6 ? 
    Out of curiosity, what device would that be?   I won't pretend that an answer will allow me to offer any useful info, since I've never used an iPhone.   It might help me learn something as iPhone users chime in, though.  ;)

edited July 17
    @KentE said:
    Out of curiosity, what device would that be?   I won't pretend that an answer will allow me to offer any useful info, since I've never used an iPhone.   It might help me learn something as iPhone users chime in, though. 

I recently bought an old iPhone 4s running IOS 6.0.  That IOS came out around September 2012 along with the launch of the iPhone 5.  I've discovered that mobile hotspot works on this iPhone using Cricket without having to pay them $10/month.  I'm trying to get this iPhone to also run FreedomPop but without success.  The phone is unlocked, and it does accept a FreedomPop GSM SIM, but I can't get cellular data to function.  And yes, I've installed FreedomPop's APN.

Relatedly, IIRC, for most of the time I was on R+ Leonardo, I was able to use mobile hotspot on a different iPhone 4s running IOS 6.1.3 (which I sold several months ago) without having to pay R+ whatever monthly fee I was supposed to.  At the time, I thought it had something to do with R+ turning on a Christmas holiday promotion allowing users to use mobile hotspot for about 6 days, and then somehow forgetting to to turn off that capability for my line.  I'm now coming to realize that, most likely, my being able to have mobile hotspot on that phone on that particular account was only because I was running IOS 6 and that my first activation of mobile hotspot during December 2015 was possibly just a coincidence.

In sum, I think IOS 6 allows a user to bypass whatever restrictions a carrier may place on using mobile hotspot.  Or, more accurately phrased, IOS 6 is not capable of implementing carrier-imposed restrictions on mobile hotspot.  This doesn't help though, if I can't get any service.

• KentEKentE Moderator 168
    @byeecanon said:
    In sum, I think IOS 6 allows a user to bypass whatever restrictions a carrier may place on using mobile hotspot.  Or, more accurately phrased, IOS 6 is not capable of implementing carrier-imposed restrictions on mobile hotspot.  This doesn't help though, if I can't get any service.
    Based on my rather limited experience across a few carriers, I would tend to agree with your supposition-- depending on how a carrier implements hotspot restrictions, some OS may ignore that intended restriction (or more accurately, not assist in implementing the intended restriction). .   It's my belief that different carriers do it via different methods.

I agree wholeheartedly with your final thought!  Unfortunately, I have no iPhone experience.