What is unlimited 2g worth?

ClassifiedsClassifieds RingPlus 137

SpeedTalk vs Tello Mobile and others ...

We start this discussion with only SpeedTalk and Tello with the intent to include other offers.

Both (Tello and SpeedTalk) offer plans on Sprint with the following allotments; 500 Mb Full Speed LTE, 300 Talk and  Unlimited Text.

The difference is:

Tello cost $18 and has taxes on data , but has unlimited 2g and SpeedTalk cost $9.99 and has no taxes, but also no unlimited 2g.

Therefore the unlimited 2g from Tello has an $8 value:

This means Tello 500 LTE + unlimited 2g  vs  SpeedTalk 766MB LTE  for the same Price (data calculated as overages) 

This is a percentage difference of 35% more full SpeedData therefore a person should be at least 35% (10- days) in a month on 2g data to make Tello superior.

We also know that SpeedTalk offers now Plans on Verizon 

Our questions:

Is Verizon worth the an increase in price? 

Is Unlimited 2g worth the difference in price?

Is it worth to have real cell minutes the increase in price comparing SpeedTalk and Tello to FreedomPop?

Comments

• Where do you see the plans that SpeedTalk offers? I don't see the plan you listed on their website https://speedtalkmobile.com/expoaws/speed.aspx/PlansList. Maybe I am missing something.

I don't use $18 plan on Tello, but the $6 plan (200 texts, 200 Mb) and the value is hard to calculate and will probably be different for everyone.

To me the value of unlimited 2g is knowing that I won't pay any fees in overage. I really don't use a lot of data and when I do it is usually just to quickly check social media or receive emails. I wouldn't pay $8 for it since I am already getting it without even spending more than $6.

• KentEKentE Moderator 168
    maverickfighter:
    Where do you see the plans that SpeedTalk offers?
    Try a thread like this new one:   https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/12114/some-new-plans-on-verizon-network-coming-soon#latest
    for upcoming promos.
    Or look through some of the SpeedTalk threads in the Deals subforum. 
    The plans usually appear on a special site set up for that purpose once the promo period "goes live", and not on the standard SpeedTalk site.  

• ClassifiedsClassifieds RingPlus 137
    It seems there would be a market for 2g data unlimited only and no LTE. Should we ask if someone could do this?
  • It would be interesting to see what price point companies would put unlimited 2g price at. What other companies already offer unlimited 2g? Tello offers it for $4 currently (which included 200 Mb of LTE).
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    edited May 20
             Definitely vs sprint.  Not too much though as we are a price sensitive bunch.  

I have no use for it unless it is at least 128k and even then it isn't worth much to me. I think though the difference in price is more than just the unlimited 2g.  Tello are established with good customer service and appear professional.  They have a good looking website and you can do lots of self service things when you log in.  They also have an app.  Tello also has their payasyougo option letting you mix and match plans and payasyougo - the flexibility is worth something as well.  I think speedtalk only has price going for it at the moment which may well still attract people.  

Twigby is actually cheaper than Tello for that allotment (well they do 200 or 500 mins and not 300 - both cheaper) and offers unlimited 2g and Verizon roaming.  I don't think Tello would see that particular plan as being a popular option so it isn't priced competitvely eg SPSP1 is $14 at tello so unlimited 2g is worth $1 (plus taxes on the 100 mins).  

Is it worth to have real cell minutes the increase in price comparing SpeedTalk and Tello to FreedomPop?
              Yes definitely.  To me freedompop will never be my main line as voip isn't as reliable.  You can get a cell call through with a lot less reception.  I have been trying out a dual sim speedtalk-freedompop att lte sim though and that works pretty well!

Unlimited 2g and no LTE?
              Could be a good idea if the speed isn't too slow. 

If the price difference is relatively modest, it's definitely worth it for people who travel in and out of Sprint or T-Mobile coverage areas.  For a couple of years, I've had Sprint-network "primary" phones, and paid for a Verizon-network "emergency" phone for when I'm in areas not covered well by other carriers.  For those with similar needs, Twigby shows some advocates over Tello for similar, but more expensive, plans due to VZW roaming in Twigby.  (Which Ting also offers.) 
      I'm at the low to moderate end of allotment needs, so for me the price sensitivity threshold is also low.  VZW coverage is worth $4-5/month to me as a price increase, with AT&T coverage slightly less than that.

At my low-end usage levels, it's definitely worth a premium.  It's assurance that I won't have significant overages (especially critical if the MVNO doesn't offer a simple and easy way to monitor usage), and assurance that I'll still have data available for essential tasks near the end of the month.
      My cost sensitivity is also low here-- my preference is to trade off some portion of LTE data for 2G fallback-- I care about access, and not so much about speed.  In combination with reduced LTE allotment, fallback 2G is probably worth $2-$3/month.

For me, without a doubt:  cellular voice is critical.  I love FreedomPop or other VoIP options as a way to stretch my modest cellular-voice plan when needed:  perhaps if I need to call someone's Customer Service line & might have to spend time on hold, etc.   But so far, I can't count on it for primary use.  If my budget was even tighter than it is, I"d gladly use FreedomPop as a primary line-- it's an amazing offer for free or almost-free service.

Classifieds:
    It seems there would be a market for 2g data unlimited only and no LTE. Should we ask if someone could do this?
    I have to think this would be a reasonable trade-off for some people.  A lot of MVNOs already offer no-data plans, so they've already ID'd no-data as a viable market.  2G has to add value to those plans-- and it would be viable for my family members.  (I've already experimented with 64K and an app similar to RP Neutrality, and I'm comfortable that we can cover what we really need to do with data at those speeds.)

mmfacemm:
    Unlimited 2g and no LTE?
              Could be a good idea if the speed isn't too slow. 
    Remember that the cost risk to an MVNO of providing unlimited data is tied to data speed-- at 128k, streaming music is possible.The risk to the MVNO of customers streaming music for hours a day becomes real, and has a cost impact.  At the point where streaming low-quality video becomes viable, the realistic pricing for unlimited data may no longer allow it to be priced attractively for the customers who won't stream video.

Ringplus experimented with the concept of throttled data plans, and included a cost or allotment adjustment based on throttled speed.  I suspect that this might be necessary for an MVNO , and that "effectively unlimited for a normal user" might be an easier target to hit than truly "unlimited", although it's a harder sell to a customer because most don't have any idea of how long data can stretch at throttled speeds.  RP members were exceedingly tough sells for the throttled plans at the time, because those of us who had been members for a while were used to incredibly large full-speed LTE buckets at 0 cost:   an unrealistic marketplace assumption that went away quickly once we were all MVNO shopping.

For this concept to work for a traditional MVNO, it seems to me that 2 things are necessary: 
    1)  An understandable description of the applicability of throttled data for different uses.
    2)  The ability for a customer to change their plan easily to a different data arrangement (or plan) after the fact, since my belief is that even with an honest attempt to control expectations, a significant portion of customers will not pay attention, and will be surprised that throttled data is throttled data. The ill will that can be caused by being stuck in a data plan that does not meet the customers real usage patterns needs to be avoided.

Bottomline:  yes, I think a throttled data plan can make sense for both customers and MVNOs-- there's a lot of room for juggling exactly how it might be set up, and whether it's truly "unlimited" or not.

akaLTD
  • KentE:
      VZW coverage is worth $4-5/month to me as a price increase, with AT&T coverage slightly less than that

KentE:
    fallback 2G is probably worth $2-$3/month.

My thoughts also except I'm not sure I'd go to $5 for VZW unless it was VZW extended network for at least voice and messaging, if not $3-$4.
    din9alin9:
    My thoughts also except I'm not sure I'd go to $5 for VZW unless it was VZW extended network for at least voice and messaging, if not $3-$4.
    @din9alin9 There's a good chance you're more familiar with Verizion MVNOs than I am-- are there many (any?) that offer a Verizon network plan & include roaming?   I'm only familiar with Tracfone's feature-phone offer that did that, and there seems to be some question about whether or not that's still in effect.  I know that all of the major networks were resistant to allowing roaming to their MVNO partners for a long time, and that the options for roaming are few on Sprint-network MVNOs.

I entirely agree with you that roaming capability for voice/test is also an added-value item.

• din9alin9din9alin9 Pro 5
    edited May 20
    KentE:
    are there many (any?) that offer a Verizon network plan & include roaming?  

Only one left that I am aware of is boom! Mobile. It used to be full roaming, no different than VZW postpaid coverage, now it is only VZW extended network. Not much difference BUT there is a distinction and difference in coverage. Selectel used to have extended coverage until recently but no more.

boom! doesn't really offer an "emergency phone / coverage plan" like Selectel/Page plus $75/$80 yr. or $10 for 120 days ($30 yr.) but you can always ask them what they could do for you, might be surprised ;)
    KentE