Trouble moving to Sprint - being denied with a ex-ringplus, ex-Ting, ex-Boost phone

I have several Moto E phones. I bought them in Boost Mobile packaging. and first activated them on ringplus. When ringplus closed, I used the phones  on Ting. I now want to use them on my Sprint account.

When he first tried to activate the phones, the salesperson reported that they were not eligible to be activated, as they were shown as prepaid phones. He said this was not a problem, he just needed to submit a help request and have the phones changed from prepaid to postpaid.

He got back a response to the ticket that I don't remember exactly, but he re-submitted the request. The request came back with a reply "Boost branded, and in SPCS, so can't be activated".

The salesperson says he has never had a problem using a prepaid phone for postpaid service (after putting in a ticket to have it converted.)

Ting has verified that the phones are in the postpaid database. They also note they are a postpaid service themselves.

Does this help me?

https://www.sprint.com/landings/ctiachecklist/docs/ctia-transparency-postpaid.pdf

In particular, I like the part that reads:

Devices: Can I bring my own compatiblee phone? Sprint will activate devices that have been certified to operate on Sprint networks.

Comments

• mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    edited May 6
    Your phones were activated before the crack down on activating boost and other phones on mvnos (commonly referred to as the FED check).  Usually these phones needed to be active with their provider (boost, virgin etc) for 12 months before you could move them elsewhere but sprint was not enforcing that until late last year.   Unfortunately you will probably need new ones if you want to move to sprint.  They might still work on mvnos if sprint hasn't flagged them.  

If you have a sprint account and lines then you could probably get free phones equivalent to moto Es from them or some other phone at a discount so all is not lost.  
  • chatmsdchatmsd MVP 23
    There ought to be a law that forces cell service providers to unlock phones that are prepaid after, say, two years regardless of the FED status.  Better yet, companies should be stopped from locking their phones to allow use on other networks.  Think of protecting the environment from unusable phones piling up.
  • KentEKentE Moderator 168
    Bottom line, whether the phone is locked, unlocked, FED flagged, or FED clear, there is no rule that says that every provider must accept all phones for activation.  They're free to establish their own criteria for doing so.

Have you checked the phones to see if they're clear for activation on MVNO ESN check tools?   If so, this will probably come down to being persistent with following up with Sprint, or deciding it's not worth the hassle.
    Jeff142bendb
    edited May 6
    chatmsd:
    Better yet, companies should be stopped from locking their phones to allow use on other networks. 
    Definitely.  But you know they will find ways around it.  Look at how flagship phones differ in what LTE bands they have for the same model and yet often these have exactly the same hardware but with LTE bands hidden at the carriers request no doubt.  You bet that verizon will want you to stick with them even though they provide unlocked phones - what good is an unlocked verizon LG G6 on another carrier when it doesn't have all the tmobile or att bands that the respective carrier versions have?

It is like the no more contracts move a few years ago.  What happened was that carriers started to do things like give discounts on phones as monthly bill credits so you had to stay for 2 years to get the full discount anyway.  No contract but you are still locked in! 

Motorola is the one leading the way there with it G4/G5 range.  Apple and Google are pretty good but have had their own arms twisted a bit by carriers - for google they had the pixel verizon 'exclusivity' that never meant the phone was locked but still led to confusion and apple launching the unlocked version of their phones weeks or months after the carrier versions.
    akaLTD
  • BlaineBlaine Novice 0

bendb:

I bought them in Boost Mobile packaging. and first activated them on ringplus.
    Bottomline, you can not bring a  Boost, Virgin or SPP  device to Sprint Post Paid. 

• chatmsdchatmsd MVP 23
    mmfacemm:
     Look at how flagship phones differ in what LTE bands they have for the same model and yet often these have exactly the same hardware but with LTE bands hidden at the carriers request no doubt.
    Congress should act on a new law to unlock all the bands and require that phones be able to be used on any carrier.  I get very upset at the mega e-waste that accumulates each year from this turf-protecting practice of the carriers. 

• akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    chatmsd:
    Congress should act on a new law to unlock all the bands and require that phones be able to be used on any carrier. 

I definitely agree! I spent way to much time comparing the same make of phone but different carrier versions to know which would work on what carriers what bands were lacking, how that might effect it or how critical the missing bands were, etc. I wanted a phone that would work on at least 2 carriers though. 

I could've just gone with the Moto g4 or g5 which works on all 4 networks and saved myself a lot of time/effort but ...though I like a lot of things about Moto's they just didn't quite meet what I wanted in a device at this time and I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. But that very well could change the next phone I buy. 

• bendbbendb Novice 0
    KentE:
    Have you checked the phones to see if they're clear for activation on MVNO ESN check tools?   If so, this will probably come down to being persistent with following up with Sprint, or deciding it's not worth the hassle.
    I just checked at tello, and tello thinks I am all set.

How would you suggest I follow up further? My sales person says his ticket was bounced around a few departments before he was denied, and doesn't know how to help me further.
  • bendbbendb Novice 0
    edited May 6
    mmfacemm:
    If you have a sprint account and lines then you could probably get free phones equivalent to moto Es from them or some other phone at a discount so all is not lost. 

Do you have a suggestion? Everything I see is dependent on a 24 month lease, and I don't want to commit to more than 12 or 18 months with Sprint.
  • BlaineBlaine Novice 0
    bendb:
    Do you have a suggestion? Everything I see is dependent on a 24 month lease, and I don't want to commit to more than 12 or 18 months with Sprint.
    The only solution would be to purchase a couple Sprint Post-Paid devices, plenty to be found on eBay, swappa and the like. I don't believe Sprint Post-Paid ever offered the Mote E. If you are satisfied with the low end specs of a Moto E then you should be able to find an equivalent phone relatively cheap.

Again, Sprint Post-Paid will not allow Sprint pre-paid subsidiary devices on Post-Paid. There is no question these pre-paid devices would work, but Sprint has a ridiculous BYOD policy when it comes to these devices. Just like their ridiculous BYOD policies in regard to bringing Post-Paid to their pre-paid services.

edited May 6
    bendb:
    mmfacemm:

Okay I assumed you were planning to stick around and could get a free phone over 24 months.  I guess you might be looking to take advantage of their multi line unlimited plan discount that last a little over a year?  You probably have to buy new phones then.  If you stick around for 12-18 months then there a couple of  'free' phones that you would end up paying $30-60 for ending early like the LG Tribute HD which is a nice phone.  Or buy them elsewhere.   Your old ones might fetch $20 or more a piece on ebay especially since they can be activated on MVNOs.