Combating Scam and Robo Calls

RingPlus News Service Los Angeles, March 28th 2017:

If you have a cellphone, you are bound to have received a robo or scam call in your lifetime. Usually you just hang up immediately or maybe you’re part of the group that just does not answer calls from numbers you do not recognize. Not everyone can miss the calls and that results in scam calls being answered. These calls have become more frequent and there are many different methods the scammers use to try and deceive people into succumbing to their tricks. Do Not Call Lists exist but aren’t always effective due to scam calls using many different numbers that you will just be blocking every scam call you come across, if you remember to do so.

In Lincoln county, scammers are pretending to be officials from the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office. Two residents reported the scam calls to the actual Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, one resident stating that the caller spoofed the Sheriff’s Caller ID. The resident answered and instead of getting the Sheriff’s office on the other line, a robo call offering debt solution was there instead. A second resident received a phone call from a Milwaukee area code, the scammer claimed to be soliciting funds for the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, the actual Sheriff’s office then stating that they are not asking for money.

Scammers and robo callers are pretending to be businesses, family members, even the IRS. By using random numbers or by spoofing, spoofing is stealing another number to hide the true number making the call and the identity, scammers have found a way around Do Not Call Lists provided by most phone providers. The FCC passed a rule proposal that would give phone companies more power to reduce scam and robo calls. Phone companies are already beginning to take measures into enabling a system that will block these unwanted calls from occurring but there is still work to be done in making the blocking system effective. Since spoof calls allow scammers to use another number, the need to actually not block legitimate, non- scamming numbers needs to be addressed. A way to differentiate which one is a scam and which call is not. The measure is now in the public comment period, phone companies and consumers commenting on the change, and then there will be a final vote on the revised version of the rules. The final vote will likely occur later this year.

Comments

• KentEKentE Moderator 167
    One of the most-missed features of the legacy RP system was the spam call blocker-- even though it hadn't been around that long.  It's good to see that other telecoms are working on this!  
       I've been a prepaid user on by-the-minute plans for years, and my phones are always on the do-no-call list.  It seems that violators have become much more brazen in being unwilling to ignore do-not-call lists in recent years, and it's frustrating to watch your minutes tick away due to robo-calls!
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    I miss the RingPlus Robocall blocker. It seemed to work good and eliminated most spam calls I was getting, though I didn't too get many on those phone numbers. In hindsight, I should have keep those numbers. :( 

I have several new phones numbers now & one of them gets a lot of spam calls. Luckily it's not a phone I use much so it's not as big a bother but ...

First thing I did when I got the numbers is put them on Do Not Call list but as the article says that's not very effective. 

I got 2 spam text while on Ting that would have cost me $3! Ting was gracious enough to credit those back to me even though it was my fault I forgot to turn off SMS after swapping devices.