Twigby

Comments

• Cthulhu:
    . When the overage protection is off you get bumped to the next tier of service every time you exhaust your allotment and you're charge for the difference between the allotments, for example if you are on a 200 minute $9 allotment and go over the 200 minutes you are bumped to the 500 minute $11 allotment, 300 minutes are added to your reserve (500-200 you already used under your original allotment) and you are charged $2 the price difference between the two allotments ($11-9).

Then why should i sign up for anything higher than 200 min if I lose nothing by getting bumped up? It'll just keep bumping up if needed and i'll just pay as much as I use?(aside from first month which is free anyway)
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm MVP 47
    edited February 12
    mr.mayor:
    Then why should i sign up for anything higher than 200 min if I lose nothing by getting bumped up? It'll just keep bumping up if needed and i'll just pay as much as I use?(aside from first month which is free anyway)

I understood it to mean that you only move up one level.  So if you have 200 mins you would be bumped to 500mins if you go over but once you reached 500 it stops.  

Not sure if it keeps going to the next and the next...

• mr.mayor:

It's a way to let the user control costs by setting a limit on the usage ahead of time. I suppose it does not make as much sense for voice service but it makes a lot of sense for data. Both data and voice limits make sense if you're on an tight budget and simply can't pay more. Twigby is not trying to upsell you, I think that's one of the good things about the service. Twigby is a great choice for people with highly variable usage patterns.
  • PromozePromoze All Star 125
    Cthulhu:
    Both data and voice limits make sense if you're on an tight budget and simply can't pay more.
    Or sometimes just like to keep the costs as low as possible for the challenge. 

I do wonder if it will only bump you up just one level max, or if you hit the cap on the next level, whether it bumps you up another tier, or if instead, it then converts to unlimited 2g data.
  • hhfpphonehhfpphone Ethical Committee 222

If data allotment is used before 30 day bill period ends, it will move to next highest data package. With Overage Protection ON - speed is
    simply reduced to 2G for remainder of month at no additional charge.

edited February 17
    hhfpphone:
    If data allotment is used before 30 day bill period ends, it will move to next highest data package.
    That's what it says on the website, and that is easy enough to understand for you hitting the cap on your base allotment, but the question is, with overage protection "off", what happens when you then hit the data cap for the next highest tier that you were bumped up to?

1) unlimited 2g.
    2) it bumps up to yet another tier and charges you even more
    3) data stops

On the website, under overage protection, it only mentions unlimited 2g for when overage protection is "on."  That would seem to rule out #1.  And it doesn't specifically state it bumps to yet another higher tier, so that should rule out #2. So based on that, you would think the answer is #3, but I'm not convinced.  The problem is lack of detail on the matter in order to address the question that I proposed.  See:
    https://twigby.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/224919487-Overage-Protection

Edit:  No surprise, but the website description is incomplete regarding overage protection being disabled, and the answer turns out to be #2.  You keep getting bumped up as you hit the cap of each tier.  But once you use up the entire 2 GB data allotment, it then go to #1, which is unlimited 2g.   This is based upon information later gotten from Twigby, not from anyone reporting the experience.
    mmfacemm:
    Not sure if it keeps going to the next and the next...
    Yeah, or if you still get unlimited 2g in any scenario if data protection is off.  It's not stated as such on the website - only if it's on.
    edited February 12
    Ooops.  Just realized that after I resorted my list above, I had not updated one line later in the post to reference the new number in the list.
    "So based on that, you would think the answer is #1"
    That would not make sense after stating #1 and #2 appear to ruled out.
    I just  corrected that to, "So based on that, you would think the answer is #3"

• This feature of automatically bumping you to the next higher allotment tier and only charge the difference, is actually one of the most attractive aspects of Twigby. Not just for the obvious reason that it saves money by letting you choose a lower tier, without risking a "penalty" if you go over. But also because it goes against a core tenet of the usual wireless carrier (and MVNO) business model: Forcing users to subscribe to more than they need, so that the carrier can charge for services that never actually get delivered. It would appear that this "how can we get them" attitude is not enshrined in Twigby's thinking, like it is in many other wireless companies. And I find that very attractive!

To be fair, Ting's billing model works the same (even with a 5% tolerance before bumping to the next tier) -- and my feeling is they are an honest company too.

As has been asked, I would love to know whether Twigby only allows a single tier bump or whether it just keeps bumping to the next higher tier as usage increases. Logically, I think the latter: Why would Twigby limit their revenue by capping an account (or switching it to unlimited 2G) when the user has specifically disabled that protection?

Also, does this only apply to data allotment or also to minutes allotment? I would love to know that as well.

I could use a referral to Twigby if anyone would care to PM it to me. Thank you in advance.

Linda_S

• @Anytom  referral sent

You can toggle data and voice overage protection separately
    PromozeAnytom
    edited February 17
    Anytom:
    As has been asked, I would love to know whether Twigby only allows a single tier bump or whether it just keeps bumping to the next higher tier as usage increases. Logically, I think the latter: Why would Twigby limit their revenue by capping an account
    I can see this from another perspective also, and I think that goes back to this post a few posts back:
    https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/146438/#Comment_146438
    mr.mayor:
    Then why should i sign up for anything higher than 200 min if I lose nothing by getting bumped up? It'll just keep bumping up if needed and i'll just pay as much as I use?
    And regarding:
    Anytom:
    (or switching it to unlimited 2G) when the user has specifically disabled that protection?
    Whether you only get bumped 1 tier or multiple tiers to the maximum 2 GB, it would still be nice to have unlimited 2g beyond whatever the final cap may be vs. your data becoming blocked at that point.

Edit:  No surprise, but the website description is incomplete regarding overage protection being disabled, and the answer turns out to be #2.  You keep getting bumped up as you hit the cap of each tier.  But once you use up the entire 2 GB data allotment, it then go to #1, which is unlimited 2g.   This is based upon information later gotten from Twigby, not from anyone reporting the experience.

edited February 12
    Anytom:
    Also, does this only apply to data allotment or also to minutes allotment? I would love to know that as well.
    See the link in the post I made 3 up from yours that explains it in more detail.
    mmfacemm:
    You can toggle data and voice overage protection separately
    That's good.  The website describes them separately but wasn't clear on whether you could have one enabled and other disabled.  And the screenshot I saw for one of them still wasn't indicative of whether they were linked in any way (one following the other).  So that question is answered.
  • AnytomAnytom Pro 6
    edited February 13
    @Promoze: I agree, most ideal would be if one could choose the lowest allotment tier for minimum plan cost, then choose "how high" he/she wants to get bumped up before finally rolling over to unlimited 2G. That's a lot to ask, though.

I read this thread before posting, including the posts you mention, and so far there is no answer to whether "multiple tier bumping" is supported. If Twigby has indeed decided that transparency is their strategy (at which this feature might hint) rather than the more common model of trying to "trick" customers, then I find it completely plausible that they will allow you to start at the lowest tier and bump up through the tiers with increased usage.

Another question then becomes if the plan stays with the original (lower tier) come next month.

Thank you for the referrals (plural) I received!
  • We are all fighting for referrals here. 

They have a good chat so your questions can be quickly answered tomorrow.  Do let us know.  Or whoever wants to ask.  It isn't a big deal to me as I use under 200mins and would rather make do with 64k then be bumped to the next highest data allotment.  The way they word it makes me think it only bumps up once too.  After that it stops. 

Say you are at the 150mb level.  
    With data protection on you get 150mb + 2g after that
    Data protection off you get 150mb + 350mb after that runs out for a further $3.  After a total of 500mb data stops.

edited February 17
    Anytom:
    @Promoze: I agree, most ideal would be if one could choose the lowest allotment tier for minimum plan cost, then choose "how high" he/she wants to get bumped up before finally rolling over to unlimited 2G. That's a lot to ask, though.
    Yes, but to be clear, I never asked for an option to choose how high a tier someone gets bumped up to before 2g kicks in, but rather would be interested to know if Twigby gives additional tier bumps and whether 2g would still be available when you hit whatever cap is determined by Twigby (after one jump, two, whatever.)  If Twigby was allowing you to "choose" your top tier, then someone would probably have noticed the setting for that, so I find that unlikely, although if you knew it would bump you one time, you could choose indirectly by selecting what tier you start at.  As I mentioned above, based on the info provided in the link on the website, without overage protection, and without reading more into it than stated, you could rule out #1 and #2, and that data would just stop #3 after hitting the cap on the next level.  But without clarification from Twigby or someone who has been with Twigby long enough to have tested and determined the answer to those questions, that is the best answer I can come up with based on the present info from Twigby's site.  Yet, I'm still not convinced.
    Anytom:
    I read this thread before posting, including the posts you mention
    OK.  But the reason I directed you to that post with the link was because you asked if the overage protection applied to minutes as well, and it does state that it applies to both in the link I posted earlier, plus it went into more detail, so that seemed more helpful than simply saying yes.
    Anytom:
    then I find it completely plausible that they will allow you to start at the lowest tier and bump up through the tiers with increased usage.
    It's also plausible that won't happen, again, based on what they actually state, especially if we're talking transparency.  The Multiple tier bumping question hasn't been answered nor whether unlimited 2g would be available after hitting your cap without overage protection enabled, but based strictly on what Twigby states IS provided at the link I posted, it would be reading more into it than what was stated to assume multiple tier bumps or unlimited 2g are provided if overage protection is disabled.
    https://social.ringplus.net/discussion/comment/146538/#Comment_146538

If multiple tier bumping is indeed provided as a feature, despite what it actually says, then I would go with the lowest allotments and let it bump me up each step as needed, assuming I didn't go with overage protection, in which case it would be good to know if unlimited 2g ever comes into play in with overage protection disabled.  Based on the info provided on the webiste, it does not. But again, I'm not convinced.  Maybe those answers will come over time, but this is about as far as I go with Twigby for now since I already registered multiple lines with Tello.  But Twigby could be an option down the road, so I still hold some interest in the matter.

Anytom
  • i wonder if a referral can be applied after i've already signed up :p wish i would've been a part of this referral chain sooner!!!
    edited February 13
    yes you can @frank-ru pm sent with my referral details!

You add it via online chat after signing up - in fact it seems to be the only way to add it is after you sign up.
    edited February 14
    I have some answers regarding when overage protection is off.  Yes you will continue to move up and up through the tiers - it does not stop after one.  

I emailed again for clarification of what happens when you use up the highest 2gb.  will update. 

No 2g data when on wifi only.  Thought I'd check anyway.

At the end of the month your plan will renew back to the original level eg 150mb even if you used 2gb last month. 

AnytomPromoze
  • Thanks s lot for those answers, @mmfacemm. That's awesome, Twigby looking better and better!
  • Hmm, so a promo code is not needed to get the first month free at Twigby, and 2nd month free with a referral code...good deal.  Wonder how long this promotion will last in case some Ring+ members decide to transfer to Twigby after they have used up their $35 credits at Ting.
  • mmfacemm:
    At the end of the month your plan will renew back to the original level eg 150mb even if you used 2gb last month. 

So one strategy would be to get the lowest tiers for voice and data.  Just let them go up the tiers when you need them and they'll reset back to lowest tiers at end of month.  Nice.

For me, I have the lowest voice tier and 2GB data (with unlimited 2G) since I know I will be using the data and don't want the extra $10/GB after the 2GB.
  • Martin_1:
    Hmm, so a promo code is not needed to get the first month free at Twigby, and 2nd month free with a referral code...good deal.  Wonder how long this promotion will last in case some Ring+ members decide to transfer to Twigby after they have used up their $35 credits at Ting.

I'm not sure that would work. I think you'd need to use a Twigby coupon code in that scenario. You can get a free month of service from Twigby automatically if you're transferring from RingPlus other wise you need to use a coupon. So if you first move to Ting you'll need the coupon code to get your free month at Twigby once you're porting to it from Ting.

If you don't mind switching providers often and you have a phone that's CDMA/GSM compatible I'd imagine you could devise a strategy to switch around for a while collecting all the signup bonuses, etc. 
  • SwaggerSwagger Novice 3
    edited February 14
    I confirmed with them on chat just now that once you max out the 2gb it goes to 2g no matter if overage protection is on or off.  There is no option to get further high speed @excitable-band-camp-flutist-340762 ;  So you could actualy just go with the low data tier and you'd still get 2g after 2gb.

So one could start with 150mb and then keep using it all the way up to 2gb and then get 2g with overage protection off.

PM me for referral details! $20 each! Even if you have signed up already you can add one.
    PromozeAnytom
  • Swagger:
    I confirmed with them on chat just now that once you max out the 2gb it goes to 2g no matter if overage protection is on or off.

Ah, nice, thanks!

No need to pick anything other than the lowest tiers with overage protection OFF, then (for me).
  • excitable-band-camp-flutist-340762:
    So one strategy would be to get the lowest tiers for voice and data.  Just let them go up the tiers when you need them and they'll reset back to lowest tiers at end of month.  Nice.

For me, I have the lowest voice tier and 2GB data (with unlimited 2G) since I know I will be using the data and don't want the extra $10/GB after the 2GB.

Where did you get the $10/GB information from? According to Twigby you will not be charged.