Get 50% off your first TWO MONTHS of service at Twigby

Comments

• edited June 18
    I am about to port from Ting to Twigby.   Thanks for the replies for a referral.  It looks like the billing structure at Twigby should work out well for me and I've been reading good things about them.  Anyway, now I have a couple of months to see how it works out.  Thanks again.
  • @vegan-brown-tartan-table-589287 said:
    I am about to port from Ting to Twigby.   I could use a referral code if anyone is interested.  Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in. 

Unless you already got one, I just PM'ed you a referral. Good luck!
  • Thanks again.  I had one person who PM'ed shortly before you did.  
    samkqboro
  • Diedrich_DuoDiedrich_Duo MVP 43
    edited June 23
    Update: The usage tab on the Account Settings page is still gone (hope they will bring it back eventually).  I tend to tinker with my settings fairly often, and over the past week or so I have noticed that it is no longer possible to modify my data speed, at least on my account.  Regardless of which slower speed I select, it defaults back to "No Limit" every time.  (Have any of you experienced the same?)  When I chatted with their customer service they indicated that it might have been because I was within a week of my plan renewal / change.  Will be interesting to see if the data speed can be modified after that -- I really liked the 256 and 512 Kbs throttles.  Further updates to come... 
  • KentEKentE Moderator 167
    @Diedrich_Duo said:
    I really liked the 256 and 512 Kbs throttles.
    I'm intrigued.   Can you share your reasons for self-throttling, and how it fits into your use?  
      I'm not surprised, per se-- if I had a plan that allowed me to do so, I'd be tinkering with it, too.  Since that hasn't been possible for me, I'd love to learn from your experiences!

Diedrich_Duo
  • @KentE said:
    I'm intrigued.   Can you share your reasons for self-throttling, and how it fits into your use?  
      I'm not surprised, per se-- if I had a plan that allowed me to do so, I'd be tinkering with it, too.  Since that hasn't been possible for me, I'd love to learn from your experiences!

I wish I could share some great rationales here, but I'm not really sure why I enjoy tinkering with my data speeds... probably because I'm still so new to smartphones and curious to see how the varying speeds work.  The video that was posted on the RingPlus forum a while back (done by Stetson Doggett on YouTube) was great, but as everyone knows, "YMMV".  I throttled my data at the 512 speed for all of my trip to Arizona earlier this month.  It really helped me avoid going over to the next allotment level on my account, and I didn't notice any appreciable difference in how quickly everything worked.

I think I might have tinkered with my settings so much that I "broke" the Twigby website.  :o  As of right now, everything is working fine except for suddenly (as of this afternoon) having no voicemail.  Hope that everything will be back to normal again next week once my monthly plan resets... and no doubt, same for Twigby so that their "favorite" chat client won't need to chat with them again for a long time!
    Anytom
  • AnytomAnytom Pro 6
    edited June 24
    @Diedrich_Duo said:
    I throttled my data at the 512 speed for all of my trip to Arizona earlier this month.  It really helped me avoid going over to the next allotment level on my account, and I didn't notice any appreciable difference in how quickly everything worked.

I wish that idea had occurred to me: For two months in a row, I ended up going over my 150MB Data allotment by just a few MB the last 1-2 days of the billing cycle (as in less than 160MB for the month). Of course I could have set Overage Protection On and gone to 64Kbps, but when I moved to Twigby I decided to just let the tier-bumping play out and see where I landed. I should have tinkered instead and throttled to 512Kbps, that probably would have kept me below 150MB!

As it turns out, despite their great service and great features, I have to admit that Twigby is not quite economical for my use, mostly due to the $9 minimum tier: I generally use <100 mins, no SMS and <200MB per month, which ended up costing me me $16.97 (incl tax). I moved to TPO a few days ago on their $6.99 Cordial plan ($8.39 incl tax): 250mins/250sms/250MB + unlimited 64Kbps. This fits my usage almost perfectly. Sprint service is the same, but hardly any features -- not a place for tinkerers  ;)

My wife remains on Twigby, and I think will stay there: She needs unlimited Voice and generally stays just below 500MB. In her case, we really appreciate the safety of Verizon roaming and the possibility of saving a few bucks if she has a month with less usage -- or paying a little more and go over without hurting performance. And like others, I remain very happy with Twigby's chat support.

I do hope they get that Usage Detail feature back on their website. That really makes their feature set very complete.

So I'll keep watching this thread  :)
    Diedrich_Duo
  • Another update:  Today my plan rolled over to the new month, but I am still not able to modify my data speed (it just stays on "No Limit" even after I try to change it to one of their throttled speeds), and I cannot get my voicemail activated (it says I have enabled that feature, but it's not enabled).

@mmfacemm and/or @samkqboro , would you be able and willing to log into your accounts and see if you can modify your data speeds on your Account Settings (and then if it works, hopefully go right back to "No Limit")?  It would be hugely helpful to see if it's just me, or if this might be a systemic issue that just hasn't been reported to their support team.  If you could assist, that would be terrific... but if not, I understand... thanks very much either way.

Hope to update soon letting everyone know that everything is set up correctly and working perfectly and you won't have to read any more updates!
  • AnytomAnytom Pro 6
    Diedrich_Duo: I just checked on my wife's account, and like you I was unable to change her Data Speed: It keeps switching back to No Limit, no matter which speed I choose. Too bad, as I actually wanted to change this to keep her under the 500MB allotment.

Regarding Voice Mail, I had a problem awhile ago (when my line was still at Twigby): I had disabled it when I first came to Twigby, but one day I found voice mails coming in (from spam callers, no less). I could see that it had enabled itself under account settings, and my attempts to disable it wouldn't stick. I contacted Chat who was unable to help, but raised a ticket to disable it for good. After a few days I went to check again, and at that point it let me disable it. My wife's Voice Mail has remained disabled throughout, so this was only on my account. I have no idea why.

I am guessing that the features on Twigby's Account Settings page all simply reflect some levers in Sprint's system, through Sprint's API, and sometimes Sprint just doesn't want to cooperate. For whatever reason. 
    Diedrich_Duo
  • @Diedrich_Duo Just tried the setting for data speed, and had the same experience as you two above. It keeps going back to "No Limit" aka "Max". I also didn't notice any speed changes, so it doesn't seem to be just a UI issue.

Btw, I recently had a settings issue where my line has always been set to Overage Protection OFF for Talk, but one day (at the worst possible time) I was unable to make or receive any calls. When I was finally able log into my account, saw the Overage Protection for Voice was turned ON. The chat agent insisted it was never changed, but I never changed it as it's always just switched to the next tier if I went over every month since I've been with Twigby.
    AnytomDiedrich_Duo
    edited June 28
    @samkqboro said:
    Just tried the setting for data speed, and had the same experience as you two above. It keeps going back to "No Limit" aka "Max". I also didn't notice any speed changes, so it doesn't seem to be just a UI issue.

Thanks for your quick response, @samkqboro and @Anytom!  Always appreciate support from fellow RingPlus refugees, and it's good to know (I guess) that I'm not the only one who has experienced a few gremlins in the Twigby system.

I just finished another chat session with Twigby support, and I would like to give a public shout-out to their service rep Steve.  He has "drawn the short straw" and gotten me the last several times I've used their chat support, and he has always been courteous, helpful, and patient.  Today he got my voicemail working (confirmed) and my data speed set up at 512KB, just the way I wanted it.  He explained that it can take up to a day for the website to catch up with the settings, so I am leaving well enough alone until tomorrow evening when I will check it again, hopefully for the last time in a very long time.  So, Mission Accomplished (I hope)!
    samkqboro
  • mmfacemmmmfacemm All Star 48
    edited June 28
    twigby CS are great
    Diedrich_Duosamkqboro
  • Looks like Twigby got their data speed options working again so that you can select anything from 64KB to full speed.  I just tried changing mine and it "took".
    AnytomKentEsamkqboro
  • joseph1joseph1 MVP 35
    Is Twigby still offering a free first month? 

How long does a port from Ting (Sprint) take?
    samkqboro
  • samkqborosamkqboro Pro 5
    edited July 12

@joseph1 said:
    Is Twigby still offering a free first month? 

The last two free month codes I knew were ringplus and the FREE2START codes. Give it a try, one might still be working.
    Edit: noticed that they still are mentioning the FREE2START code at sign up.
  • @Diedrich_Duo said:
    Looks like Twigby got their data speed options working again so that you can select anything from 64KB to full speed.  I just tried changing mine and it "took".

Ahh, ok cool. Looks to be sticking the setting as well, will try out the speed later and see if it actually changed the speed as well.
    Diedrich_Duo
    edited July 12
    @joseph1 said:

Mine took under an hour and everything went smoothly, except for data.  (Apparently my phone, a Moto G4, often has issues with data when you change providers.)  Twigby's chat support agent was tremendously helpful and assisted me for about 45 minutes while I walked through the steps to get everything running correctly.
  • @samkqboro said:
    ...will try out the speed later and see if it actually changed the speed as well.

I barely notice any difference most of the time throttled down to 512, even though the SpeedTest app results show full speed data to be about 17 times faster in my area.  I'd be very interested to hear how the different speeds work for you, too... inquiring minds want to know!  :)
    KentE
  • LDoronLDoron Pro 4
    edited July 13
    @joseph1 said:

@Diedrich_Duo said:
    Mine took under an hour and everything went smoothly, except for data.

Same with me, using a Nexus 6 (which is made by Motorola). Here's the discussion on another site that allowed me to fix my data connection:
        https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/twigby/75-twigby?start=120#3995
        https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/twigby/75-twigby?start=130#4002

If you'd like a referral for a $20 credit, just PM me. So far, I've been very happy with Twigby. Best wishes!
    Diedrich_DuoKentE
  • @Diedrich_Duo said:
    I barely notice any difference most of the time throttled down to 512, even though the SpeedTest app results show full speed data to be about 17 times faster in my area.  I'd be very interested to hear how the different speeds work for you, too... inquiring minds want to know!

I first did some typical browsing at 512 as well, and didn't notice much difference. Obviously a bit buffering for streaming videos, no buffering with music streaming. Speed test app shows about half the speed I was getting with "Full" in my home.
    Diedrich_DuoKentEAnytom
    edited July 21
    Good news -- the Usage tab is back on the Account Summary / Active Lines page.  It seems accurate so far except that the outgoing and incoming calls are reversed, but that's no big deal since a minute is a minute regardless of where the call originated -- it still counts the same for your usage.

They've also changed the summary to show how many minutes / how much data you have remaining instead of what you've already used. 

Nice to see that Twigby keeps improving their online account transparency! 
    samkqboroAnytom
  • Ahh nice to see the usage back, my call times seems to be cst, I'm in ny. Same here with the incoming and outgoing flipped.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • @samkqboro said:
    Ahh nice to see the usage back, my call times seems to be cst, I'm in ny. Same here with the incoming and outgoing flipped.

I think they show up as CST because Twigby's main corporate office is in Tennessee.  I e-mailed their support team to let them know about the call logs being reversed, and they were glad to get the feedback (or at least that's what they said in their reply  :)), so that might get fixed sooner than later, too.
  • AnytomAnytom Pro 6
    edited July 22
    @Diedrich_Duo said:
    Good news -- the Usage tab is back on the Account Summary / Active Lines page.  

On my wife's account (which I manage) it gives me the error "Attention: You do not have the permission to view the usage report on the line requested." I do remember seeing this when the Usage feature first showed up, although it worked on my line at the time. Strange. I'll have to contact chat about that.
    Diedrich_Duo
  • LDoronLDoron Pro 4
    I get the same error. I went on chat, and "Frank" said they're still rolling it out. But, hopefully, the more people report it, the sooner it will get fixed.
    Diedrich_Duo