CellNUVO discussion

doubleOZdoubleOZ MVP 18
edited February 22 in RingPlus vs Other Telecoms
From member oldbooks1.

oldbooks1: 
If you are current Ring Plus subscriber,
you can use the following promo code atcheckout to waive activation fees: RPFree 
This promo code is good through the end of March.
ultimate-lavendar-houndstooth-gladiator-54876Paul_SthEnteVoIPFanRP

Comments

• or if you are willing to work for your cell use then there is one call cellNUVO that gives you credits to use on talk/text and data if you fill out surveys, watch videos, give your opinions etc. There is an activation fee and sim cost but after that it will be free if you can make it work...
    Never used it myself and it is harder to keep the service running than ringplus.  You have to earn 2500 credits a month at least.  Not sure how much work that is. 

Ente
  • CellNuvo looks interesting. Anyone have experience with them?
    aakKk
  • akaLTDakaLTD Moderator 115
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Text Now Plans.
  • Looks like we got our own thread. 
    I split these off to make it easier for others to see that might have experience with this carrier. Some members might not be reading/following the TextNow thread to this.

We almost need a thread for each carrier but wow .. there seems to be a lot. lol But it would make finding useful info later .. if needed, much easier.
    I've seen this carrier mentioned before but I'm sure many members would be interested in others posting their personal experience with them.
  • It seems like cellNUVO might leave you chasing pennies.
    crystal_t
  • lexusl21lexusl21 Pro 14
    edited January 30
    What service they use?  Is it GSM if so what network?

EDIT:   seems that it is Sprint and GSM coming?

Interesting.  Wonder how hard to earn min.  Seems you would be watching ads  till your eyes fall out?

1. Receiving 1 thank you message from CellNUVO (happens at least once daily) will earn you an additional 50 credits
    2. 1 usage reward for just using the network is worth 15 credits
    3. Filling out a short survey will earn you 75 credits
    4. Interacting with a top up ad will earn you 15 credits
    https://bestmvno.com/cellnuvo/cellnuvo-initially-launches-as-a-sprint-mvno-with-free-cell-phone-service/

• I don't know how often the survey or calls per day they are going to do this so i will pass. 
    zanthrax54
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 126
    I wonder what the minimum Android versions are supported for the required interactions. I see no details on there. I have some old phones that I'd be willing to test the service out on, but they're Ice Cream Sandwich.

Also, $29 activation fee for BYOD, but apparently satisfaction guaranteed (or money back?).
    zanthrax54
  • They have been around for a while.  HoFo experience here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1874180-Anybocdy-can-share-Cellnuvo-experience?highlight=NUVO

Sounds like GSM is coming has been the case since 2015.  The site hasn't updated since last year when I was checking it out because of the latency with the legacy plans.

I remember someone having issues. On page 3 of the below link.  After that, RP+ started offering gobs of data and so CellNuvo was n't spoken about much.  I wonder if they are still operating. :)

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1872998-CellNuvo-free-service/
    Conic_Ellipse
  • If even they're still around, how many surveys do you really want to fill out?  You only get 7.5 minutes of talk per survey.  Heck, even FreedomPop is a better deal than that!
    It depends on how much you want/need for allotments as to whether this carrier is right for you. I can get by with 100 min/sms/data a month so for people like me it might be a good alternative depending on how many survey's you can get a month. Or how many credits you can "earn" a month.

Just saw this on CellNUVO site on the Infinite plan page https://cellnuvo.com/plan_shop_nuvo.php?id=12#nuvo_desc
    Just like with the Flex Plan, it's your responsibility to maintain a balance of 500 credits. You must also acquire a minimum of 2500 credits over the course of each 30 day period. Failing these will cause a temporary suspension of your service, this ensures our free service is not wasted

• What if they waste my time getting points?
    blue_skies
  • I'd rather pay Tello $6 a month or whatever than this.  You can make more money with surveys and things elsewhere and not be tied down to the terms of this provider.    
    blue_skiescrystal_tdogged-but-not-dogmaticyfn34incredible-infrared-pinstriped-floundercanex
    edited January 31
    ultimate-lavendar-houndstooth-gladiator-54876:
    I'd rather pay Tello $6 a month or whatever than this. 
    Some might prefer or simply can't afford to pay anything per month. I still say it's a valid option for some people just like any carrier is right or wrong for each individuals. People need to understand the rules, what the true "costs" are (including time of earning points) and what the trade-offs are to determine if a carrier if right for them and their needs.

Unfortunately the way everyone has criticized this carrier based on their needs/wants I doubt anyone that uses them would be willing to post their actual experience now for fear of being harassed, thought less of or being thought of as a fool for using them. Which is too bad since that type of input would have help others make a more informed decision.

It's too bad discussions get shutdown because people are more willing to post their opinions about something they have no experience with rather than objectively discuss the pros/cons of a topic.

backup
    edited January 31
    jamielih:
    I wonder what the minimum Android versions are supported for the required interactions.

Lucky for us Howard forums is able to discuss this carrier & their threads contain helpful info. So thanks to Classical_Minds for providing the links. Guess we'll just have to get info there instead of on the R+ forum.

So @jamielih They provided the answer to your question but keep in mind that post is from Oct 2015 so that info could be outdated : http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1872998-CellNuvo-free-service?p=16102681#post16102681

And they only allow Android (2.3 and above) phones and iPhones. So no flip/feature phones.

• akaLTD:
    Some might prefer or simply can't afford to pay anything per month.
    You only half quoted me.  What I meant was to separate the surveys and the service.  So pick someone like Tello and pay $6 a month and then go to a survey place like swagbucks or instagc, earnhoney etc and make yourself $6 a month doing surveys to cover your cell phone bill.  That way if you can't get enough surveys or go on vacation you won't lose your line or get suspended! 

Chelleblue_skiesSoteria1
  • I checked google. It has less than 500 download. looks like it is in zombie state.
    You only half quoted me.  What I meant was to separate the surveys and the service.  So pick someone like Tello and pay $6 a month and then go to a survey place like swagbucks or instagc, earnhoney etc and make yourself $6 a month doing surveys to cover your cell phone bill.  That way if you can't get enough surveys or go on vacation you won't lose your line or get suspended! 

If someone can "earn" enough credits simply using cellNUVO by itself why go to all the trouble to sign up with another site or multiple sites to earn the same thing. Though again it would depend on the user & their needs. That's all I'm saying.

From reading Howard forum threads it seemed convenient and maybe easy to earn plenty of credits simply using the cellNUVO app on the phone Some of the survey's or was it video's or both, forgot now :( .. were only 30 seconds long plus the other daily thing that can be done to earn credit.

I used to belong to several survey sites ... most of them were a waste of time. I'd spend 5-10 mins completing the "survey" only to be disqualified. When you end up getting "survey" after survey and being DNQ'd every time you could easily spend 30 minutes & not earn a single penny. I dropped them all but Pinecone now. I may not earn as much but when I do get a survey I'm guaranteed to get $3.00 when I spend time doing it. I never got into swagbucks so can't comment on them. Oh and I do Google rewards too ... doesn't pay out much for each survey but then again it only takes 10-30 seconds to do them. :) It adds up after a while & lets me buy the ad-free or pro version of an app I really like while also "rewarding" the developer for creating it.
    dogged-but-not-dogmatic
  • akaLTD: 
    If someone can "earn" enough credits simply using cellNUVO by itself why go to all the trouble to sign up with another site or multiple sites to earn the same thing. Though again it would depend on the user & their needs. That's all I'm saying.

I think to me the main issue with cellnuvo is that you are at their mercy in terms of what surveys etc are available as well as the threat of suspended service if you do not earn enough each month.  If you can take that away the idea of getting free service by earning it via surveys etc is a viable alternative for those needing free service if ringplus is no longer available.  I'd rather do a bit of work this way than rely on freedompop.      

I get your point about not qualifying for surveys and don't do many surveys these days myself.  Using bing for searching can bring in a few dollars a month.  I'm signed up for crossmediapanel (google) which brings in $3 a week for letting them see what I browse (set up on secondary devices only!).  I like google rewards too to get a movie rental or an app now and then.  Point is there are a lot of options out there to earn enough to pay for cell service.  Some even pay you to play games if you are into that kind of thing.

blue_skiesSoteria1Ente
    I think to me the main issue with cellnuvo is that you are at their mercy in terms of what surveys etc are available as well as the threat of suspended service if you do not earn enough each month. If you can take that away the idea of getting free service by earning it via surveys etc is a viable alternative for those needing free service if ringplus is no longer available.  I'd rather do a bit of work this way than rely on freedompop.     
    I agree, that is a concern and the unknown question that would be nice if others that have used the service for months could answer for us. I might be willing to risk it if other options were limited or were poor choices based on my circumstances.

Seems the more one looks into cheap carriers the more one finds those "gotcha" details ... like having to maintain & earn enough credits monthly. That's why it's good to discuss these other free/low cost carriers so anyone reading these threads can make more informed choices. Not everyone does their due diligence, as is widely evident from reading this forum.

I get your point about not qualifying for surveys and don't do many surveys these days myself.  Using bing for searching can bring in a few dollars a month.  I'm signed up for crossmediapanel (google) which brings in $3 a week for letting them see what I browse (set up on secondary devices only!).  I like google rewards too to get a movie rental or an app now and then.  Point is there are a lot of options out there to earn enough to pay for cell service.  Some even pay you to play games if you are into that kind of thing.

Oh I totally understand what you're saying. And though I don't belong to many survey's sites now, if needed I could go back to doing that to pay for my cell service & other "wants but needed" things, instead of using this carrier doing their survey's & dealing with an unknown. Heck it might be really easy to earn points & get all the survey's you want from them for all I know. I would have to weigh the pros/cons & other options before making a decision. 

If you can get an invite or when Pinecone has openings you might want to check them out. I can provide more info on them if you'd like. Maybe we could discuss survey or other legit money making sites in Off Topic discussion.
    blue_skies
  • jamielihjamielih Moderator 126
    Looks like cellNuvo requires either that you bring over both your number & phone OR buy a new phone from them. I see no facility to just bring phone over without also porting number.
  • Has anyone checked to see if their number could be ported over from RingPlus using the "Check Compatibility link on CellNUVO? I have a new Sprint HTC One A9 that I purchased directly from HTC that I have been using here for the past three months (I swapped it in December from my old unactivated Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 626 that I was using before). When I check CellNUVO's Compatibility page, I receive this message "This is a valid device, but it appears that this device is not able to be transferred to our network." Is it because you're trying to transfer a number from one Sprint MVNO to another? Anyone know for sure on this?